Christmas Pressies - what are you gonna give

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought 2 pairs of skis, an avalung, a new fleece, a down vest, and will prolly pick up some new boots and some ski pants.

Also want to buy a wine cellar - something that holds around 50 bottles to start off with. Does anybody own one and have any recommendations?

I got a new ipod (claimed already)

My son's are getting the latest and greatest Ben 10 watch and a small parcel of daddy's favorite speculative stock.

Shit.. I forgot my wife.. eek.gif

She doesn't want Jewelry, brand crap or anything like that.

She tells me she wants a green Iguana!

Originally Posted By: Indo

Shit.. I forgot my wife.. eek.gif
She doesn't want Jewelry, brand crap or anything like that.
She tells me she wants a green Iguana!

you mean the jack mccoy video?

iguana.gif

i wanna buy as little as i can. This is ridiculous, stressing out trying to find stuff for people who really don't need anything other than the knowledge that you appreciate them.

i might send something i made.

But i did buy some old-school ski DVDs for my Dad (The Good, the Rad, and the Gnarly AND Maltese Flamingo) but i copied them and will send them on.

Originally Posted By: Oyuki kigan
i wanna buy as little as i can. This is ridiculous, stressing out trying to find stuff for people who really don't need anything other than the knowledge that you appreciate them.

nice oyuki thumbsup.gif

Cheeseman, I think she finds me cheesy enough already.

Originally Posted By: Oyuki kigan

C'mon Oyuki, can you make some me a Hermes handbag.

OK...I find this hysterical!

I am a Moderator on one and a site owner of another - CHRISTMAS preparation website...I come HERE to talk SNOW...next thing you know they will be crossing boundaries and talking SNOWBOARDS and BINDINGS on there!!! LOL!! HO HO HO!!!

Here's the scoop people.

*Prepare all year long.

*It truly is the thought that counts

*Know your recipient.

*Don't go and get "stuff" just so they know you appreciate them - take them a home baked casserole, or give them a gift certificate for a night out - and TELL them you appreciate them!

Top gift idea's from the experts - CONSUMABLE GOODS or COLLECTABLE goods - things you can make a tradition out of buying/giving, therefore saving the same panic next year. Give the great neigbour a tin of shortbread every year and pretty soon he will never buy shortbread - and just rely on the fabulous neigbour next door who gives him shortbread every year. My hubby has bought me a Pandora necklace - I know what I am getting for Christmas - more beads to go on it - but which ones? No longer is he LOST for an idea.

My kids stockings are full of travel necessities - toiletries bags filled with mini's of thier faves. New winter BAPE hoodies for the Niseko snow. Bakoda tune up kits. SKI-n-surf sunscreen/lip balms. BUFF headgear. New gloves for Baby bear 8 who loses his all time. And from Mum and Dad - a brand new wallet each with safety chain full of Yen.

It's beginning to look a lot like CHRISTMAS....

yeah, i'm with oyuki. i'm not into the obligatory gift giving.

although in recent years i've softened and quite like christmas. i just don't see the need to blow wads and wads of cash

my family are very material and love buying expensive stuff. often it's not what i really want and i feel terribly awkward receiving it, cos i know how much they've spent. plus i don't really want to buy them all expensive things (partly because i'm a scrooge and mostly because i don't see the need to buy them more stuff, when they already have everything)

Break the tradition of 'stuff'.

We all feel like we are bound to the unwritten rules of gift giving - you know ... once you give someone a gift for Christmas you have to give them one EVERY year until they die..

NOT TRUE!

Neither do all families exchange gifts with each other.

You have options. You can change things. TALK to your people and work out other options. You can draw a name from a hat and each person buys ONE gift, you can have a Yankee Swap/Dirty Santa lucky dip style gift thing with gag gifts or serious little treasures, you can buy just for kids, or you can give a 'family' gift like a basket of the supplies to make Icecream Sundaes...

Be creative - and think outside the commercial Christmas machine.

The first step is to do a Values assesment...what is it that you LOVE about Christmas, what is it you HATE, what gives you joy, what gives you stress, what can you change, what can you accept....

I bought my wee bro a 2nd hand snowboard with bindings for a very nice price, the equipment is old but is great for a start up board while he learns how to board!

The rest are getting money in a card as I'm so far away!!

I received a big box of goodies from home yesterday with some prezzies as well as the fantastic food parcels!!!

Not opening them till Xmas day tho

Is lamb hard to get in Japan, GN?

I have been getting some parcels from my friends in the USA - I am a swap junkie - international swaps can be addictive! And I am now SO excited to be giving a simple gift to a local friend.

My friend spent a year studying at Galludet Uni in the USA (she is Deaf, and it is a Deaf Uni)-and developed a LOVE of Reeses Peanut Butter Cups (also a big fave of MINE). My USA pals have been very obliging in sending them - so I have saved a heap from my tummy - and packaged up a boxed Christmas Pattern China coffee mug and snack tray filled with mini Reeses, a few sachets of Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate mix, and some large twin packs of Reeses on the snack tray.

It is a simple gift - but it is something that she can not just buy here, it brings back memories for her, and it tells her that I am thinking of her and going out of my way to give her a special gift.

Not a big spend. But she will LOVE it.

I just heard recently about a Halal shop in Yokohama. I don't know where it is (anyone know?) but aparently they have whole birds and lots of big bits for roasting. For Kanto people Hanamasa is pretty good - not sure if you can find it anywhere else though. I got my turkey from themeatguy.com