Quote:
Legendary US daredevil Evel Knievel has died at the age of 69, his granddaughter has said.

I was a big fan. Had one of the toys that really blasted off too.

He might have been Evel, but he wasn't evil.

I watched Mike Hailwood on a 350cc Honda beat Agostini on a 500cc MV live at Mallory Park. Evil knievel was always a total self-pubcising jerk.

It must be wonderful to have no sense of perspective or history.

America is the freeist and the bestist land on

earth. Dead Caifornia Jerks don't persuade me

Originally Posted By: soubriquet
He is an American icon because he was a total jerk. Jerk is the intellectual neccessity for the leader of the free nations.

dude...

I've never once heard anyone say that Evel was a jerk. I don't doubt you, but I will say that his being a jerk had nothing to do with why he was an American idol.

He was an American idol because of his balls, his aim in life and willingness to always push the envelope. Americans love boldness and seeing people stand up to their fears. where do you think this whole extreme sports generation came from? Surely Evel didn't single-handedly deliver it, but America markets the hell out of it because Americans love crazy shit. Hence- the X-Games.

Drag racing, world speed records, hot-rods, harleys, half-pipes, all of it reeks American.

I never even cared for his sport. Modern dirt jumpers are way sicker, imo. double-backflips on motor bikes?! WTF?! Are they jerks? probably. I don't care. I'm just in awe at the size of their balls and I sure as hell wish I had the balls to pull of the dreams that bounce in my head.
 Originally Posted By: soubriquet
I watched Mike Hailwood on a 350cc Honda beat Agostini on a 500cc MV live at Mallory Park. Evil knievel was always a total self-pubcising jerk.

It must be wonderful to have no sense of perspective or history.

America is the freeist and the bestist land on
earth. Dead Caifornia Jerks don't persuade me

and it must be equally as wonderful to have the seemingly inate ability to make sweeping generalisations about whatever blows your hair back -talk about kicking a man when he is down- I think it`s fair to say that he actually lived a fair bit more than you or I-
and what does the fact that your parents outlived him have to do with the price of tea in china ? wtf so what ? - EK RIP

Jerk by name, jerk by nature. Failing to land a jump isn't my definition of success. The Grand Canyon thing was nothing to do with bikes and everything to do with marketing and self publicity.

He never won anything except self applause.

I thought he was a twerp when he was alive, and being dead doesn't change my opinion.

Watching Hailwood beat Agostini at Mallory Park Was great stuff. Watching my mate Malcolm kill himself riding a production Thruxton Bonnie at Mallory was not fun. What was worse was driving his car back home and telling his wife that her husband and father of his children was dead.

Never did have much time for show ponies.

Malcolm was the archetypal clubman racer. Machine tool fitter and absentee father by week, Racer at weekend, and dead at 27.

Malcolm's 3 litre Rover was a blast. We could pull a trailer at 100mph behind that, no worries. None of the Vincent club gave Knievel much time. It was possibly a class thing. We were workers and he was not.

Driving the car home and telling his widow that Malcolm was dead was one of life's less pleasant things.

Geez soubs the man was an amazing and very successful entertainer. You call him a show pony, well that's exactly what he was and he was damn good at it. He did stuff that was awe inspiring and became a household name worldwide because of it. What on earth is wrong with that? You been fighting with your ex or something again??

Originally Posted By: samurai

I never even cared for his sport. Modern dirt jumpers are way sicker, imo. double-backflips on motor bikes?!

Evel was a real trail blazer in this regard. Not too many people were doing that shit in 1971. Check out the bikes he was doing the jumps on, not the lightweight super suspension types guys ride these days. I'll bet he never practiced his jumps in a foam pit either.
 Originally Posted By: Mantas
 Originally Posted By: samurai

I never even cared for his sport. Modern dirt jumpers are way sicker, imo. double-backflips on motor bikes?!

Evel was a real trail blazer in this regard. Not too many people were doing that shit in 1971. Check out the bikes he was doing the jumps on, not the lightweight super suspension types guys ride these days. I'll bet he never practiced his jumps in a foam pit either.

GIGANTIC TOUCHE! Absolutely, Mantas. Did you realize you never used the word JERK in your iconism? The guy chucked metal across vast distances on purpose. And- often he crashed. BUT-- (and that's the key here, folks) he always tried again. The guy would fly metal across some record distance and wreck. And then stand up next week and do it again... and stick it.

That's why he's an American Idol: because he always sacked up and gave it a second go. And if he stuck it in the first place, then everybody was thankful that they wouldn't have to go through a mind-numbing tremble of anticipating a second crash.

RIP E.K.!
You chucked carcass... and you knew it was just a carcass. And, you didn't die from wreckig that carcass. As far as I'm concerned- that's as close as any human being can get.