Trying to plan a 3-4 day trip to Niseko for the end of January. Wondering if it is worth getting the pass for all of the mountains Hirafu, Higashirama, Anmupuri, or if we should just choose one. If we get all 3 it will cost about 10000yen more than if we just choose one mountain. We are probably only looking at 2 or 3 ski days so is it really gonna be worth it to try and hit all 3 mountains? or should we just choose one. From my reading I would say Hirafu would be the best choice. Any input would be helpful.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We found enough to keep us busy for a week in the one spot - depends on you - your ability to move around (got a car?) - and if you get bored easily...

I would stick in the one spot for that short a time. But that is me.

Not gonna have a car, we are advanced to expert skiers, not all of us have avi gear so rope ducking and bootpacking will be be the extent of our adventures. What one spot did you find enough stuff to keep you busy for a week?

Originally Posted By: OkemoLoon
Not gonna have a car, we are advanced to expert skiers, not all of us have avi gear so rope ducking and bootpacking will be be the extent of our adventures. What one spot did you find enough stuff to keep you busy for a week?

Grand Hirafu

But it was my very first time in snow EVER!
We were travelling with experienced skiers and boarders though - they were rope ducking and hiking to the peak etc - they saw no need to go to the other places in a 10 day stretch - enough to keep them out of trouble!!

However we are going back in Jan - same group. Those with years of experience are planning on hiking Mt Yotei, and many of us are planning on visiting other resorts in the area for a day here and a day there - but we are going for 3-4 weeks...that is a whole different ball game than 3 or 4 days! Hopefully after some hard yards with a private instructor at Thredbo this year I will be ready to ride the whole mountain this time around.

Definitely get the All-mountain pass. For a 3 day pass it's only 1800yen extra.

You can easily move from one area to another during a day (unless the top is closed due to bad weather).

Annupuri has some of the best skiing you'll want to access if you're looking at slackcountry.

We are trying to do this trip on a budget, we are mainly just checking out the flyers at train stations, looking for a good package deal flight, hotel and lift ticket all in one, hopefully get some meals too cause I hear food is expensive there. Am I on the right track or are there good deals to be had from other sources.

I gather your agent is maybe adding an extra premium for prebooking All Mountain as opposed to one area - unless the lift tickets are different prices at each of the resorts.

The price difference is not huge from Grand Hirafu to All Mountain per person - as they say 1800 yen.

We will definately go All Mountain this time - but it is not the first trip and not just 3 or 4 days... But you clearly have experience on your side - and exploring far and wide in a short time period might be just your style. Why don't you buy the tix when you get there and make the judgement on the day...

Originally Posted By: thursday
there's a 100yen ramen place. There's also a kebab van!! and get your beers from the Seicomart

100yen ramen place is gone, replaced by an apartment block. And didn't see the kebab van around last season.

When looking at the overall cost of the trip I couldn't imagine the little extra for an all mountain pass will make or break it. Grand Hirafu though which includes Hirafu and Hanazono is a pretty big ski area that would keep you occupied for a few days. Really no need for rope ducking in Niseko, not sure what you are used to in other parts of Japan, but here you really don't need to. Most parts of the mountain are accessible without ducking ropes and those areas that aren't are that way for a good reason.

If you are going to go to Niseko... Just get the All Mountain pass.. We all know that you can get bad weather on the mountain but it is not so bad 500 metres around on the next mountain (say it is windy, or overcast)... If that was the case and you had an all mountain pass, you simply either bus it or go to the better areas...

The other thing is, I have been there twice now and spent probably 20 days there but could accidently follow a run to the bottom of the hill and realise that I am at the lift of another resort... That would be a bummer and hard to explain to the Japanese to get back there... If I had the right pass, simply jump on the lift and off we go...

As for food... I think you can find cheap, you can find expensive... There are plenty of options and easy to go on a budget OR splurge out on the expensive stuff...

Originally Posted By: brit-gob
They had kebabs in Niseko? Excellent. Were they "real" ones or some terrible bastardised version?

I wasn't quite drunk enough to go chewing on one. I'm sure it's terrific after 5 pints.

All mountain pass for sure, my family covers the whole mountain easily over the day including some great powder bowls over Annupiri. If your advanced crossing over the top from resort to resort is very easy. Even if the tops closed there are easy trails across from the base of the higest lifts.

Any one of the resorts would get boring after more tha half a day.