Can anyone tell me exactly what is happening at Moiwa this winter?

I don't want this thread to become commercially oriented. I'm really wondering if it's going to be a lot more crowded this season or if it will function as per previous years.

I would say it's been getting a little more popular with each year I've been here but it's still not linked with Niseko United and it's still not that easy to get to so it'll remain relatively uncrowded for the time being.

After searching around the web for a while, I did find two Moiwa websites. (The old one still appears to be down)

One is the mountain/lift company site.

The other is a property development site.

I don't want to appear to be pushing a commercial interest, so I won't post the links. ( I have no commercial interest in Moiwa)

There's no mention in either site about any major changes to the mountain at this time. There is a development happening but it looks like that may not affect skier numbers too much this season.

On a quality paper web site, the last news about Moiwa was on Sep 7, 2007.

http://www.nikkei.co.jp/news/retto/20070906c3c0600m06.html

It told Zephyr bought Moiwa ski resort and Hotel Niseko Grand Stage from Watermark Resort Niseko, a subsidary of HIS Co late May 2007. The resort and the hotel had closed. Zephyr plans to reconstruct the hotel to a condo to be sold, and to reopen Moiwa ski resort on 2007/2008 season. Also, they would plan to built 99 rooms of condos by Oct 2008, to built 15 lodges by Oct 2009. However, no news has been about Moiwa ski resort open, and no news in Zephyr web site yet.

SC

That sounds like a private resort in the making. Like a golf club. Time share condos in Moiwa, exclusive accomodation away from the riff raff, but occasional excursions into the town of sin. Nice. Like to see what it turns out like.

I just received the sales blurb on the development. Not very original, I must say. I can't help but feel that they're falling into the same trap the Japanese developers did 30 yrs ago with the multitudes of small resort developments around the country. The appeal of Moiwa is the fact that it is relatively deserted it's hardly the place to use as a base or to stay for a week or more.

I just received the same email as you guys today.

It seems to me that Moiwa may be a bit small for what they're planning. I guess if they manage to link up with Annupuri it might be OK. Those apartments they are renovating look pretty small from the outside - I'd be having a look at them first and not buying "off the plan".

Using the "Niseko" in the new name might help get a few people interested.

Selfishly, I'm hoping Moiwa is successful enough to keep the lifts running but not successful enough to become overcrowded.

But I'll bet that's what the people in Hirafu were saying in the late 90's before I started going there - so I'll try and savour Moiwa a bit more this season , in case it changes.

Originally Posted By: Probe

It seems to me that Moiwa may be a bit small for what they're planning. I guess if they manage to link up with Annupuri it might be OK.

This is the crux. Ultimately if Moiwa is linked to Annupuri and as a consequence Niseko United then Moiwa will become a dormitory town for the bigger area, much like outlying villages in the European Alps.

Quote:
Using the "Niseko" in the new name might help get a few people interested.

The resorts in the area have the prefix 'Niseko' including Weiss and Iwanai at the coast. This is not a marketing ploy, at least not by this wave of developers. wink.gif

Quote:
Selfishly, I'm hoping Moiwa is successful enough to keep the lifts running but not successful enough to become overcrowded.

The horse has already bolted.

I'm not going to pretend that the buy-in price is cheap. But in comparison with ski-in, ski-out apartments in Upper Hirafu they are a third of that price tag.

And if you visit the area for 7-14 days each season you won't find cheaper in this area.