• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Kumapix
Dizzy, prepare yourself to hit this drop nb-stylee when you come out to Toyama!

kumapix_331.jpg

the take off is by his head and you can see a bomb hole from the first guy

Can't wait til Saturday when I can go riding again!!!!

I'm so there. Imagine the tricks you could try on a NB off something like that--benihana, cowboy, superman

how is the run-out, kuma?
  • 2 weeks later...

We I must say that all the hype that all the noboarders have been talking about is spot on.

Having seen an article in SB Canada and then talked to and subsequently bought a noboard pad from Kumapix, this is definately my full time snow activity from today forward.

Although only heading up for the morning and doing some hiking (3 lines of about 300m each) I couldn't help but smile and know that for every person who tries noboarding in decent powder will more than likely walk away with a similar feeling of immense satisfation.

It is similar to snowboarding but much more technical, works off similar principles such as speed is essential and fluid turns enhance the learning curve but where it was totally different was in the lack of bindings and the feeling of being one with the board.

It is really hard to explain how that feeling is but knowing that your nose is sinking and being able to move your front foot back slightly to take the weight off made riding really deep powder so kmuch easier, even after one practice run to try and understand what Kuma had been talking about.

"Poor technique will have you found out really quickly" he told me and possibly on the first run I was really trying to use the bungee rope to lift the nose. For anyone who is thinking of trying, think of the bungee cord as a leverage tool for slight corrections in your stance, whereby when you are leaning too far and need something to get you back over the centre of the board, this is the way to do it rather than just jumping off. I quickly, and really without thinking about it, moved my feet back slightly and then started to link turns, heelside much better than toeside but by the bottom it felt pretty amazing and I was wishing I had brought my camera.

On the hike up for the 2nd run, I kept thinking that with more speed the whole experience would be better and I would be able to work on a more continuous and fluid toeside turn.

Having never been a skateboarder or surfer, yesterday I was speaking with Michael from Niseko Photography, who is going through a similar learning curve on a snowboard, and he was explaining that after years of skateboarding whereby you use your ankles to 'tap' the edge to turn, he couldn't quite grasp the whole leaning into a turn such as is required on a snowboard. What I immediately thought was that as I didn't have any bindings, I too was esentially tapping my way through the toeside turn as there was nothing (no bindings) there holding my feet in place so from the top I pointed it straight, got some speed and just leaned into a sweet toeside turn, thus understanding the feeling of what it should feel like during a turn like this.

From here I was totally hooked and following my last run, which felt fantastic with top to bottom linked turns, I am happy to hit the resort sometime soon and continue the adventure.

I will try and get some pics next time now that I have the confidence I won't be holding many people up (no friends on a powder day hey biggrin ) and will keep everyone posted of noboarding in Niseko.

Cheers, and say No

great to hear Neversummer! smile

Unfortunately, all noboards in my area are sold out. I do know of one available in the Tokyo area.

Also, there's the first ever Japan Noboard contest in the works. It's going to be Jan 31/Feb1 in the Hida, Gifu-ken area! thumbsup

Originally Posted By: neversummer
I couldn't help but smile and know that for every person who tries noboarding in decent powder will more than likely walk away with a similar feeling of immense satisfation.

Awesome! Noboarding is sooo much fun. Niseko's a great place for it, too.

What board did you convert to a NB?
Originally Posted By: Kumapix
Dizzy, prepare yourself to hit this drop nb-stylee when you come out to Toyama!

kumapix_331.jpg

the take off is by his head and you can see a bomb hole from the first guy

Can't wait til Saturday when I can go riding again!!!!

that's suck a siiiiick shot kumapix. it makes me want to go riding so much. i'm just sitting here imagining that drop in my head over and over.
great shot
  • 2 weeks later...

Despite knowing that Noboarding wouldn't work on pisted/groomed areas, I was keen to try and give it a go.

That will be the first and last time too, just couldn't do anything except face plant, fall on my butt, chase the board etc and I now feel like I did when I learnt to snowboard in '93.

Once in the Pow though it was amazing again so I am sure there will be plenty of hiking coming up over the coming months.

Late post, but during the last 10 days in Hakuba, Kuma and I decided on the 26th to bring out the Noboards several times.

We had to hike for some of the lines:

dizzy_128.jpg

The hike's rewards were well worth the effort:

dizzy_129.jpg

It was a super fun day!

First FULL day of NBing for both of us

• 2 weeks later...

I got details about the event from Kumapix the other day

It's gonna be a fun event and good opportunity for Noboarding to grow in Japan before your very eyes.

I checked w/ SJ admin and they said it was OK to post, so here it is:

theday.jpg

If you don't read Japanese, it says the event is not about technique. You can demo/try out the shop's stock of Noboards. Registration is 5,000 yen which includes lift-access powder runs and a bbq at the end of the day.

Where: Hida-Takayama Ski Resort, Gifu Prefecture

When: Saturday, Jan. 31, 2009

Who: You! Entry open to anyone

Awesome Kuma, wish we were around .....

my 15 zr old thinks it looks like a heap of fun and would love to demo. he has just mastered the wakeskate which I would think is a similar principle.

Hope you get a good turnout.