• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: tripitaka
 Originally Posted By: AK 77

Is this the first nobaord air in Japan?

Oyuki Kigan at Happo on November 23rd 2007

ps. How can I embed this here... if that is the right word?

Good one! Smooth as. What's with the reaction from the Japanese guys though? They don't seem like they're into it.

Hah ha ha.. I just listened back to this... the first Japanese guy is not a Japanese guy - it's me!

Oh and Marc. tv star. good looks. I smell trouble. Mrs Kuma better keep a close eye on you.

Noru ne!
 Originally Posted By: Kumapix
lol.gif
the idiot tv lady just asked me " so, what do you do with a noboard?"

Are there any other questions? I'm still trying to figure it out. I've been following the thread, refraining from teasing, but I just don't get it.

I just don't see what a noboard gives a rider that a snowboard with bindings doesn't- aside from less tools that result in some form of freedom that is often cited as more difficult.

Would anybody here prefer a day of noboarding over snowboarding?

Just curious if anyone is willing to ditch their bindings for what is being viewed as a toy by this weirdo who enjoys speed and steeps.

I can understand owning a quiver. I own more than one pair of skis. But expecting somebody to ask more insightful questions about my cafeteria tray seems a bit far-fetched.

Who are these people on snow japan?

i saw what's on you tube and excerpts of what was submitted for Banff Film Fest.

i just re-read a good interview of Sherman Poppen. It's a wonder what's happened in the last 40 years. I wonder what people'll be sliding down 40 years from now

Christmas 1965 Sherman Poppen invents the Snurfer

2005 or 6 First Noboarding in Japan

2007-8 The Noboard takes over Japan

Poppen Interview here

http://www.flakezine.com/poppen.html

Originally Posted By: samurai

Are there any other questions? I'm still trying to figure it out. I've been following the thread, refraining from teasing, but I just don't get it.

I just don't see what a noboard gives a rider that a snowboard with bindings doesn't- aside from less tools that result in some form of freedom that is often cited as more difficult.

I'll try to tackle this question. Later on, I'll post a top 10 reasons to noboard that was in a magazine last year. I remember #1 was: you can surf a 1000meter wave.

Alright, we can all see that the progression in snowboarding is slowing down (& freestyle skiing is right behind). How many more rotations can we fit in to a jump & how many more feet can we add to a backcountry booter? The problem is in the bindings. By not being able to take our feet off the board we give up a lot of mobility. (Take a look at all the possible tricks in skateboarding.) So by getting rid of bindings we get more mobility which = freedom. You're not just stuck to the board anymore! The feeling is just like surfing : it's just you standing on a board. Yes, this makes things more difficult since we have to go back to being beginners, but so what? you have the thrill of trying something new. It's going back to the basics of snowboarding, without the handicap of bindings. and after having tried it, yes, it does feel different!
So, just going down a hill making turns in pow feels even more awesome than on a snowboard PLUS you have a seemingly unlimited future on the types of tricks you can do.

Imagine contemplating a steep pow line with maybe a drop in the middle. Now imagine doing it on a board with no bindings! The skill needed goes up, doesn't it? Therefore, being able to pull it off makes the accomplishment exponentially sicker!

Would anybody here prefer a day of noboarding over snowboarding?

Just curious if anyone is willing to ditch their bindings for what is being viewed as a toy by this weirdo who enjoys speed and steeps.

I can understand owning a quiver. I own more than one pair of skis.

YES! I would prefer a day of noboarding over a day of snowboarding!
It's ok if you view the NB as a toy. A toy = fun. Remember that snowboards were originally laughed at and pidgeonholed as toys.

If you understand owning a quiver then you should understand the NB. It's not for groomed runs. It's for powder & powder only.

But expecting somebody to ask more insightful questions about my cafeteria tray seems a bit far-fetched.

Who are these people on snow japan?

don't really understand this part...if you have any questions just ask!

Okay Kuma, you defended yourself well.

I get it a bit more. I can totally grasp throwing a kick-flip over a gap. I can see where you're going with trick-progressions as well. but I'm also willing to suggest that the amount of rotations hasn't maxed yet. I don't believe that freestyle is tapering-off due to a restriction in bindings.

On the contrary, I observe the industry slowing down their requirements. 5 years ago, big-air skiers were throwing double-inverts to win comps. (misty 5 to rodeo 5 in one air.) You don't see that now because it's fricking gigantic, and these days it's all about style and perfection of the not-so-over-the-top tricks.

While I agree that throwing any rotation off anything while on a bindingless ride is ridiculous, bindingless rides aren't the driving-spear in the industry, yet. They could get there, but double-inverted rotations have yet to hit the big mountain scene. Yeah, I've seen double and even quadruple backflips while on skis, but I have never seen any double inverted rotation off any natural feature.

I think the noboard is just a branch of what is possible away from bindings. Freestyle riders have nowhere neared their max. And I think that's why I view it as a toy. It's following the lead, taking a different path, but not introducing anything new other than a more difficult path towards accomplishing similar tasks.

I would love to see a noboard throw a any rotation off of any natural terrain feature.

But, I would much rather see a guy with bindings throw a double-invert-rote off any natural terrain feature.

It hasn't maxed out yet.

food for thought...

the 'noboard' never said "check me out, im gonna be better than whats out there" or "where gonna take over" or "we are cool".

The noboard culture is far away from people who need to be and see the coolest new thing.(although that could change..)

Noboarding isnt about watching people in vids or TV, it is about doing and experiencing it first hand.

Its not about the industry spears or some of the other suggestions in this thread. Its actually about having fun in the mountains with out need to justify your actions.

for the record: no one has hit the baker road gap, that was sarcasm from a sarcastic shredder in a magazine.

and finally... it isn't about maxing progression, its about maxing the enjoyment of life. And unless your one of the guys pushing skiing to these new levels, than really, what does it matter?

Originally Posted By: ianbc
food for thought...

the 'noboard' never said "check me out, im gonna be better than whats out there" or "where gonna take over" or "we are cool".

The noboard culture is far away from people who need to be and see the coolest new thing.(although that could change..)

Noboarding isnt about watching people in vids or TV, it is about doing and experiencing it first hand.

Its not about the industry spears or some of the other suggestions in this thread. Its actually about having fun in the mountains with out need to justify your actions.

for the record: no one has hit the baker road gap, that was sarcasm from a sarcastic shredder in a magazine.

and finally... it isn't about maxing progression, its about maxing the enjoyment of life. And unless your one of the guys pushing skiing to these new levels, than really, what does it matter?

I'm with ianbc, If it's all about "maxing enjoyment," whether you're on a noboard or sitting in the cafe having a cigarette.

Having been a surfer and a snowboarder, I find the two activities quite different in their dynamics and demands. I don't really see how noboarding is any closer to surfing, only in that you are removing one element between you and nature.

If you look at some of the developments in surfing--tow-in, strap-in, hydrofoil fins--they are all "adding" an element. Also, it is important to remember that these elements are not about "soul", they're all about performance. They allow surfers to perform aerials or ride certain waves that had previously been impossible. It's also important to remember that we're talking about a pretty select bunch of people who can only do this stuff. Backcountry snowboarding is relatively accessible in terms of skill and abilities needed. I would imagine noboarding is as well.

In surfing, the increase in the popularity of longboards was interesting. Being easier to ride, they open up surfing to a whole new world. Yet this was not looked upon as being "regressive," because the skill factor and enjoyment is quite different and perhaps closer to the "soul" of surfing than the high maneuverability and speed of a light, short board.

At the end of day, I guess it's important to

My first experience noboarding couldn't have been on a better weekend.

30+ fresh with winddrifts of over a meter, one of the first in line at the gondola, and a fun crew.

The funny thing is that the length of the boards was (unintentionally) inverted to our heights! I was the shortest (168), using my Winterstick and Kuma was the tallest using the Fish.

Noboarding is super hard work on tracked up powder, forget about braking trail w/o snowshoes, but it is so much fun in untracked powder on a steep slope!!!

Our first run, we heard cackles from FT shouting from the lift, thanks for the shouts of encouragement, FT!! I no-roped the third run. You feel like you're surfing on the snow. All turns are initiated from your back foot.

Riding a Noboard is like returning to the first year of snowboarding. You learn everything all over again. I found toe-side turns harder to get used to than heel side. It also improves your regular riding. It's not going to change the world, or "take over" the ski/snowboard industry. But it has and will take over a part of my riding. It's something fun to do with your mates.

After we went to the car in the afternoon so Kuma could get his camera, he got some good shots. I'm about to fall over in one of them. But oh, what a fun day! I7m definitely bringing my noboard the next time I go up!

I did too much tomahawking yesterday. My neck is super sore.

My highlight was that crash that you saw FT.

I had tried that steep bit on sat and had gone 'over the falls' on the convex pillow at the top, so when I stuck it on sunday i was super stoked....then I crashed when I hit the chop.

No action shots sorry I missed the tomahawk by about 5 seconds.

Team no board walking to the lifts! Man did they cause a bit of a scene. All the snow in the back ground fell on Saturday night to Sunday morning. The snow didnt start sticking lower down untill about 8 or 9 pm sat. Maybe you can understand the shear volume that fell in 12 hours!

n890405050_1872533_6024.jpg

n890405050_1872534_6926.jpg

that was a great moment. everybody was WTF?? what is that?

then 5 minutes later when the lineup was way longer, Aki showed up and everyone was like 'what is this new thing?'

Around noon we gave a go to a bunch of hardcore locals who were super stoked on it thumbsup.gif