Some interesting points in here I thought

"This is the hottest snow destination in the world for Australians. One agent says he will book more people into Niseko this season than the whole of Canada. Its main attraction is its powder snow, easily skied by intermediates on slopes that are not too steep. Niseko is relatively easy to get to (10-hour flight to Sapporo, then a two-hour road trip) and is in Australia's time zone. Prices are affordable ....... Drawbacks include constant snowfalls in January and February (the powder has to come from somewhere). There's also a boys' culture, with groups of young men holidaying there."

http://www.theage.com.au/news/ski/worlds...934.html?page=4

(See monkey thread also)

I want to go to St Anton "people dance in their ski boots until late." and Go night tobogganing; the run is more than 4 kilometres long and you can stop at a mountain hut for dinner. After that and a couple more beers I want to head over to Jackson Hole to do Corbet's Couloir, "a chute that USA Today describes as America's scariest ski slope. The couloir varies with snow conditions but it usually requires a substantial freefall followed by an immediate right turn on a 55-degree slope. If you don't make it you'll smack into a rock face."

imho after living in Colorado for 7 years and checking out a lot of the states, none of those US resorts listed in The Age rank that highly for me. I'm not saying they don't deserve their ranking but with that ranking comes crowds. On a midweek day after a massive dump, no worries but, in general, the weekend crowds pack the snow and spoil the next snow fall anyway.

I'll take a mountain half the size with a quarter the people anyday...

"One agent says he will book more people into Niseko this season than the whole of Canada."

Actually i think this is an interesting point. The Aussie tourists are coming to Japan instead Canada, for their ski holidays. I met one Canadian lodge owner last weekend, and as soon as I told him I lived in a ski resort in Japan, he brought up this point..... many Canadian ski resorts (all the businesses, lodge owners etc, that are incorporated into that industry) are losing business as Australians fly to Hokkaido and Honshu in search of snow, instead of Canada. If you consider the increasing numbers coming to Japan each year to ski, it's probably quite prominent. Well, this lodge owner thought so anyway. Not saying the Canadian ski industry will be hugely affected in the bigger picture, but there's a change going on. And they are losing out, due to Japan's increasing popularity as a ski destination. Interesting shift.

let em go. we don't need that unruly bunch chewing up all our intermediate power with their back weighted surfer stance anyways. hehehe.

but true it is an interesting shift. however, at least when i was working the canadian ski scene the aussie tourist was not really a huge market. at that time we were much more concerned with the british market. i don't know if that has changed much in the last few years.

i suspect the low yen and the extremely high canadian dollar has a lot to do with it as well. as long as the canadian dollar is as high as it is and as long as the RCMP continues to taser our visitors to death in the vancouver airport we can expect far fewer guests coming here. regardless of the 2010 games.

daver - you must be on an alternative planet, because the yen can't be described as 'low' from where I'm standing. At 108 to the USD...?

OK, perhaps the Canuck dollar is stronger, and the Aussie one is for sure. That's the point - general yen weakness there ain't.

EBC - you still in Brown-land or back to the North Alps?

did people on a ski/snowboard forum just say Whistler is in America? Jesus. I'm not even going to correct you.

skidaisuki, 108 to the US dollar isn't low? How long have you been in Japan? Obviously longer than myself... because 108 is a 3.8 year record. Last month I got roughly a 120 exchange with Lloyds. This month I got roughly a 110. I haven't seen rates this low in over 3 years.

It shot from 116 to 121 in one day when Kim Jung Il launched his fizissles.

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
I think tongues were most definitely lodged in cheeks

I was hoping so.

78, thursday? If it breaks below a hundred, I'll be sending cash like there's no tomorrow. How long ago was that?