Just wondering what all the boarders thought about Flow Bindings compared to the regular strap style of bindings. I've never used them, and was thinking about a new set of bindings this year

truthfully, i haven't heard anything so special about them that riders are willing to give up their regular strap bindings for them.

the very small time advantage you get by using them seems to be offset by prlems like snow packing in and causing pressure points.

Tubbs,

- they work

- they're heavier than most bindings

- they can take a while to set up

- they need to be reset if you take them apart for storage or travel

- once set up they are easy to use

- can lock in on the lift, its a bit tricky locking in on the go though as the highback drags

- if setup properly they hold very well but probably not as well as cranked down straps

- fire and forget operation once they're set up but that means you can't really crank them down for a hard run

- good range for choice - there are freeride versions and freestyle versions - I have the NXT-FR version

- proven technology

- the highback can catch on the back of your boot - had to glue the bit back on

- when pushed all the way open, the highback can dig into the side and top of your board - the NXT-FR has some sort of sharp carbon fibre/steel frame that cuts the edge of the board.

-base plate is huge so on a mid angle stance they may reach the sides of your board - had to adjust my stance to avoid this

They work and I will use them again this year but I'm not sure I'd buy them again. They tend to be one of those products that people either love or hate. It you're a step-in kind of guy they're probably as good an option as you're likely to find. A mate uses the K2 Cinch last season and didn't have any complaints but their improved use and operation probalby came at a cost in speed of getting locked down for a run.

Everyone is different but for me, the presure point problems were far more frequent than snow packing. There are probably half a dozen variables (each corner and a couple on the highback) to work through to get the right setting. It can take a while to get them dialed. I took along a whiteout marking pen to mark the ratchet straps for each corner once I had the right setting.

Kuma - face up hill, kick your foot in, flick up the back and take off with a well executed heel side turn. wink.gif

I reckon they are difficult getting into in the pow as you need to clear a pretty big area to get the back down and your foot in with getting a lot of snow into the mix as well.

Also, if you like your binding tight you need to insert your foot with a bit of force otherwise the back is difficult to lock into place. This makes it tricky locking in on the go or in the pow or anywhere else where you don't have a stable base.

I seen these other Burton ones as well, they have a pull string, like boots. Kinda plug the strap in like a seatbelt then pull the string to tighten, the straps themselves were on a ratchet just like the conventional strap on bindings. they looked pretty sweet. Definitely easier on the gut at the end of the day after doubling up for the millionth time to strap yourself back on. Anybody used them?

haven't seen'em. burton have come out with some pretty crap ideas in the past. I don't think their fusion binding lasted a season - expensive bloody mistake that was! I wish the stayed with their SI system, that was actually half decent.

Flow are great bindings if you just want to cruize down the mountain on piste.

If you want to go fast, park or go off piste i dont think their that flash for a number of reasons. Too heavy, pain in the powder to get on and they seem to feel a bit loose at speed.

However i have seen people that are much better than me rocking them so i guess its just a preference thing in the end

Matt

i bought a air of flows off a mate and learnt to love em, but they're not so great that i would recomend them to others.

they take a fair bit of fiddling to get the strap settings perfect, but once you've worked it all out they're as good as any binding.

the speed of strapping in is a false advntage - you have to wait for the rest of your crew to click in anyway. and RD is right - strapping in pow can be a pain cos you need to clear a large area

the new flow bindings have a more traditional style binding setup (with two ratchet straps) but retaining the folddown highback. i guess this is a concession that previous models have been difficult to adjust. oh yeah, they are heavy as hell too

one good point is that they have never broken. in the past (sims and burton bindings) i've had highbacks snap, straps snap and ratchets turn to crap.

i am happy using them at the moment, but wouldn't buy em again. there's no need for me to buy new bindings yet, but i'm looking forward to replacing them with something else.

i wouldn't recomend getting a pair unless they are really really cheap

what I'd like to see is a system that involves a person at the top of each lift to help put your bindings on. You'd just have to skate up to him, or her (preferrably her) and they would kneel down and do your binding up for you then they would give you a gentle push to send you on your way.

Service, that what makes or breaks a holiday.

I can see the appeal in that. What would also be handy is a pushing service so that if you get stuck in a flat spot or deep pow, a snowshoe equiped person runs over and gives you a push to keep you going - a kind of personal motivator.

and maybe when you get ato a tricky or particularly steep section, someone much better than you rides your gear through it, while someone else carries you down, and you can resume when you feel more confortable

Originally Posted By: Rag-Doll
what I'd like to see is a system that involves a person at the top of each lift to help put your bindings on. You'd just have to skate up to him, or her (preferrably her) and they would kneel down and do your binding up for you then they would give you a gentle push to send you on your way.

..and while she is down there doing up your bindings she can......

I've just been with a buddy who had trouble getting them on after hiking a steep. I only tried them once at a demo day and the cable broke (where it connects to the baseplate) and I had a 1 footed ride down the mountain.

you guys are too funny with the Hilton suggestions. I like the 'pusher' idea.

How about a guy who takes your gear and skis all day while u sleep in and relax and have an onsen and stuff your face. then he hands you back your gear and you can walk through the hotel lobby like a hero

I've had 2 sets of Flows now.

Iagree with pretty much all thats been said about them here. The big plus for me is comfort. I find them way more comfortable than any other strap set up I've had.

One other plus is when I was with kids when they were little and learning to ski. I could get in and out really quickly to help them.

nice touch with the video ;\)

I'd do it if the guy would throw down in teh park for me.

it'd be a good service if the guy came into the bc and hiked for me (he can pull me on a sled behind him) then he can test the slope and dig himself out of an avy. thumbsup.gif