I'm no boarder, thank god. But I've heard it said, on these very pages that a short board will have you diving every 5 meters in the powder. Think it was Oyuki after he was posting the sex with himself in the gondolas or something.

Originally Posted By: thursday
I'm no boarder, thank god. But I've heard it said, on these very pages that a short board will have you diving every 5 meters in the powder.

That's generally true, but board width and board shape will also play into it. My pow board isn't very long, but it's wide and it' got a fat nose, tapering to a somewhat narrow tail, and that shape promotes float like no other.

Is it not the same with short skis? Even with longer skis, I thought I was usually seeing skiers go 'through' powder, moreso than 'stay on top of powder' like most riders would.

Well, it was just my opinion on board size....but true, different strokes for different folks....I have a friend 6'0" tall, weighs over 170, and he rides a 152....but you can't go wrong with this...

...demo the board before you buy it...

I don't know how it is in Japan, but in tahoe, just about every board company comes by in the beginning of the season for demo sessions, from big old Burton to the smaller companies like Stepchild....I don't see how Japan could be any different. I would check with resort websites to find out when certain board manufacturers come to your resort.

Originally Posted By: Mr.Max
...demo the board before you buy it...

thumbsup.gif

Did that with my new Skate Banana. Definitely the way to go if possible, and I'd be curious to hear how easy/available it is to demo boards in Japan, too.