I am exact same size/weight as you c_mo, and I am a size 9 Boot.

I bought a 156cm board.

Depends also on your level of noobiness,you can get a Freestyle, Freeride (All Mountain), or Alpine (Carving) Board.

I would recommend a "freeride" board, as it will give you everything you need, and be a little more forgiving. Freestyle is great if you wanna hits parks, and Alpine if you are an insane speed freak.

Here's a nice article to help:

Quote:

Snowboard Sizing Chart

1. Board Length + Width

In general, an overall greater cm length will yield a board that can be controlled at and attain greater speeads. In addition, longer boards are better performers and float more in powder due to their increased surface area. Shorter overall lengths yield a board that is more maneuverable and offer a lower swing weight.

Your height (inches) x 2.54 x 0.88 = Suggested Board Length

Rider

Height

Range of Board Length

(Centimeters)

4 Feet 109cm

4'2" 114 -120cm

4'4" 115 - 125cm

4.6" 118 - 135cm

4.8" 120 - 135cm

4'10" 125 - 140cm

5 Feet 130 - 142cm

5'2" 135 - 145cm

5'4" 140 - 148cm

5.6" 145 -152cm

5'8" 147 -155cm

5'10" 154- 163cm

6'0" 157-165cm

6'1" 160-168cm

6'2"+ 159cm or greater

2. Board Width

Board width is as important, if not more important, than overall length in selecting the right board for you. A board that is too narrow in relation to a rider's boot will cause toe and heel drag. With a board that's too wide, the rider will not be able to put adequate pressure on the toe and heel edge, thus creating an unresponsive ride. Use the following chart to gauge the relationship between your boot size and respective board waist width.

Recommended Width Based on Boot Size

Boot Size 8 or Smaller 8.5 - 10.5 10.5 or Larger

Board Width

(At Waist) 24cm or less

(Narrow) 24 - 26cm

(Regular) 26cm or More

(Wide)

3. Gender

Gender is a factor in determining the appropriate equipment for the rider. Women's boards are designed to take into account the riders lower center of gravity, smaller foot size, and lighter weight.

4. Athletic Ability

A rider with extensive experience in other board sports (surfing, skateboarding, skiing, in-line skating, etc.) will probably want to invest more in their equipment since they will more than likely "take" to snowboarding quickly At the same time, someone with little outdoor sport experience might be best to keep their equipment purchase in the beginning.

5. Hard Pack and Machine-made Snow

Hard pack and machine made snow is usually prevalent among eastern areas that are required to make snow Under these conditions, your snowboarding equipment should contain more vibration control materials, such as a rubber dampening foil, which will provide for a smoother ride across hard pack snow.

6. Groomed and Natural Snow

This type of snow is usually prevalent among western and Rocky Mountain are as where natural snowfall can be dependable every year. Most riders would benefit from a longer board in a powder snow conditions. The extra length adds additional lift and helps the rider "float" atop the snow.

7. Variable Conditions

Anything other than powder and hard packed man-made snows fall into this category Most boards today are designed to excel in variable conditions Do not be tempted to buy a shorter board if your riding will take you into variable conditions A longer board is almost always preferable, unless you are looking for a board strictly for technical freestyle riding or are just learning.

8. Budget

As with the purchase of any sporting goods equipment, budgets are an important consideration. A rider does not have to have the best/most expensive equipment to become a good rider and enjoy the sport With board &bindings, it is usually okay to save a few bucks, either by buying last years model or a brand with less marketing clout.

9. Graphic Appeal

Part of the experience of snowboarding is the whole package, and board/boot/binding graphics play a role in overall satisfaction.

10. Weight

Rider weight is by far, the most important personal characteristic in determining board size When a heavier rider purchases a board that is too short, the board will have a tendency to "wash out" or perform poorly, especially at higher speeds. Conversely, a lighter person on a longer board will usually have problems controlling the board and initiating turns.

Why not choose a board around your riding style? I'm 5'8" and 70kg, my shortest board is 16x -- the Rad Air Tanker I picked up this season is 187cm.

It seems like Japan is famous for powder and tree-runs; that might dictate the length of your board if you're not sure about style.

How long have you been riding for?

Originally Posted By: thursday
Domo, again, I'm no boarder, but judging from your weight, and height, you will not float on powder on a 156.

Good luck.

yeah, you are prolly right, but I bought what i could afford.
Plus the fact I am gonna suck @ Snowboarding for the first few days, I don't really mind. if it gets that bad I will look at buying something else when i am there.

I didn't think there would be pew on the baby slopes anyhow lol.gif
 Originally Posted By: Domokun_72dpi
Domo, again, I'm no boarder, but judging from your weight, and height, you will not float on powder on a 156.

Good luck.

yeah, you are prolly right, but I bought what i could afford.
Plus the fact I am gonna suck @ Snowboarding for the first few days, I don't really mind. if it gets that bad I will look at buying something else when i am there.

I didn't think there would be pew on the baby slopes anyhow lol.gif

LOL!!
Domo, sounds like if that Dome ever get's up and running here in Perth - you and I need to get down there and start practicing our moves!
I'm probably going to sink low in the POW on my K2 girly board too - but I just love it for the Aussie conditions - has way more feel and manouverability than the Avis Rentals I had in Japan and Day 1 Thredbo. I s'pose it's all about being confortable.
My hubby took 2 boards to Japan in April - started on the shorter board - then by the end was on the long board....never touched the sort board since - even in Aus. Personal choice.

thanks for the insight guys.

i have a 154 and a 157 board in my stash for riding here in oz, but was more just throwing it out there to see what people think about sizes for poweder places like japan. obviously riding in oz, i tend to just use my 154 heaps cause of the conditions, but im assuming this would be too short for my trip to hakuba. anyways thanks for the opinions

yeah, I wish it would =)

I'll start saving up for a year pass. Honeslty, they will make a fortune if they build it..

I can board (just haven't for 8 years).

I was in pow back then & it was fine (and that was a REALLY old board).

I wanna lose 6 kilo's before I come to help heh heh.. clap.gif

(I need to listen to my wife, and eat what she eats more...)

I just wanted my own board, and being new to this am not fussed. In truth, I will just be stoked to be in snow, and not take this too seriously. I am coming for fun, to see Japan, greet the culture, and buy tonnes of Geek Toys from Tokyo.

So, it's all good!

are you nutters going to Japan and avoiding the powder?

I'm not going to avoid it, I had NO idea what to expect.
Plus, I am gonna be boarding alone, so I can't really say i can go off-piste or hunting for pow.

I may have to rething my board now after what you are all talking about...
 Originally Posted By: Domokun_72dpi
are you nutters going to Japan and avoiding the powder?

I'm not going to avoid it, I had NO idea what to expect.
Plus, I am gonna be boarding alone, so I can't really say i can go off-piste or hunting for pow.

I may have to rething my board now after what you are all talking about...

Domo,
Take what you got. If it isn't working for you then go talk to some guys in a hire shop. I am not sure of the set up in Hakuba, but I know Niseko and they have a shop there run by Aussie guys that hire different types of boards (did know this when I went last time...), they have powder boards. So what I would suggest is that you try some different ones on and have a go. There is a Rossi Ski Shop at Thredbo that does the same - but only ski's mind you. You can try them out before you buy. There must be something in Hakuba that could do similar... ask FT - he will know more about what Hakuba has to offer in regards to this.
 Originally Posted By: c_mo
thanks for the insight guys.

i have a 154 and a 157 board in my stash for riding here in oz, but was more just throwing it out there to see what people think about sizes for poweder places like japan. obviously riding in oz, i tend to just use my 154 heaps cause of the conditions, but im assuming this would be too short for my trip to hakuba. anyways thanks for the opinions

the 157 should be OK, as long as you don't ride anything more than knee deep. If it snows more, then you might want to step up and get something longer/powder specific

Just an FYI (and no ill will towards Domo at all), but going by height for board length is a joke. (Like that whole chin-to-nose garbage, which is a joke unless you plan on nibbling on your board in the lift line.) According to that chart, I should be riding a schoolbus.

Weight is most important, followed by preferred riding style, but other important factors such as terrain, experience and boot size cannot be left out.

We're about the same weight, and my all-round board is a 156. I wish it were a little shorter as I've lost a bunch of weight, but it'll still handle the whole mountain. Your 157 wouldn't hurt in pow if you dropped the bindings all the way back, but it still won't match the performance of a true pow stick. My pow stick is only a 159, but it's got a ton of taper and is relatively wide, both factors doing wonders for float.

Quote:
According to that chart, I should be riding a schoolbus.

lol.gif

When I first started I listened to those (don't) know-alls in the shops and only really found out I should have been on something else when I came to my 2nd buy. Weight it most certainly is - I noticed a big difference. I felt very misled.
 Originally Posted By: oblivion
 Quote:
According to that chart, I should be riding a schoolbus.

lol.gif

When I first started I listened to those (don't) know-alls in the shops and only really found out I should have been on something else when I came to my 2nd buy. Weight it most certainly is - I noticed a big difference. I felt very misled.

shit!! in that case I really SHOULD be riding a schoolbus!!!!