Going snowboarding in Japan? Prepare to be fingerprinted...

Is anyone else here aware that as of tomorrow, (20th November, 2007) all foreigners are to be fingerprinted and have a mug shot taken as part of entering the country?

mmmm. very uncool. I would expect this kind of rubbish from America, not Japan...

This is one of the reasons i chose to go snowboarding in Japan, instead of America, as I could enter the country without being made to feel like a criminal...

Japan turns spotlight on foreigners, accused of bias

Note : I did a bunch of searching to see if anyone had posted something on this topic, but found nothing. I wasn't sure if this should be here or in off topic, however I did think that this was relevant for all of the foreigners heading over for Japan for this season's skiing and snowboarding....

Edit: if the mods feel this is in the wrong section, please feel free to move it. Cheers, Al

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok,

here is my take on this issue...

I have long held the belief that I would rather be held up in immigraton and security at the airport and have to stick teensy bottle of my perfume and hair conditioner in a see thru placky bag, than have the plane I am travelling on end up sticking half in and half out a big tall building...

All for security.

But what purpose does the fingerprinting serve?

Surely photographing entrants is enough!!

Terrorists are not likley to leave fingerprints lying around for matching...

And how secure will the database be?

Are the fingerprints going to be electronic or are we all going to be washing the dirty black ink off our hands before getting our bags?

Are there going to be more staff at security to adminster these extra measures or are the queues going to get even longer?

I am not anti-terrorism, I am not anti-security. But what meaningful purpose does this serve?

Japan has to follow their security partner so it was always going to happen. If Howard sticks around expect the same in Auz. This database has nothing to do with terror and everything to do with building a data base. I have know idea why we need to be in the data base but thus is the world we live in.

I like Facebook but that is one of the biggest databases in the world with more information on there than just a passport number.

Yes, well be prepared for the possibility of a very long wait. The frequent-travelling foreign business community is very annoyed at this. It sounds like Narita is prepared to do this as efficiently as possible, but that cannot be said for Kansai and other airports. Even foreigners who live in Japan used to able to join the Japanese queue. That's not the case anymore. Knowing the Japanese attention to detail in bureaucratic measures, this has the potential to be a total nightmare.

Would love to hear any stories of how it is working out.

urgh. ok, well that sounds very uncool then. we are over there in just over three weeks, so I don't like my chances of them having the system ironed out and running smoothly by then.

other people from my office are heading over on Saturday, so I will find out from them how it all goes.

edit: that will be an interesting point - are they going to need to fingerprint you every time you enter the country?? there are people from work who do many trips to Japan a year. I can see them being less-than-enthusiastic about the whole thing.

The other thing to consider here is that this was a big issue when our family was heading to the USA for the first time, and we fully expected to be printed and photographed - but nothing....

So maybe we need to plan for delays (pack plenty of game boy games for the kids) and be thankfull if they don't happen

FT - I think the Japanese finger printing arrangement goes even further than the US arrangements. There is no need for it and in the stuff I've read about it nowhere have I come across the idea that the US is forcing Japan to do it. Aust relies too much on tourism and has far too many non-citizen residents to contemplate putting in place such a stooopid policy.

This is just another example of why Japan, which is generally a pretty cool place, is as screwed up as it is. This makes about as much sense as killing hump back whales mad.gif

Well, if you're coming for a ski holiday, it has the potential for you to miss connecting flights, trains, etc. However, think of it from the businessperson's point of view. I know foreigners who are travelling between China and Japan about four-five times a month. Imagine being delayed at the airport for three hours each time to deal with this crap. The issue was raised in the International Herald Tribune. I've dealt with in the U.S. and it wasn't too bad. Let's hope the Japanese are on top of this.

Fingerprinting from the user perspective should only be done once.

Once your details are in the database, it's a quick lookup upon passport inspection time.

There has been NOTHING said from travel agents here in Australia, and that annoys me.

if they see you are coming to japan, they should contact us. What happens if you don't want your details taken?, or are alergic to ink (ok, that's a bit extreme).

Anyhow, travellers need to be given ample warning.

Domo,

Even though it only needs to be done once, it appears than there will only be one queue for foreigners regardless. I tend to disagree with FT that it can't be helped because it is being done at a time when Japan is having trouble attracting foreign business and capital which it desperately needs.

Like I said, it could be a minor irritant or a major incovenience. Only time will tell. Kansai is my local so I will be looking at the earliest flights so hopefully any inconvenience will be minor.

Definitely post up your experience tripitaka.

Like I said, we just bought our tix, yet the agency told us nothing of this.

I don't mind doing it, as long as it's just a fingerprint, and not an anal probe, then It is fine.

Now, if the were making all foreigners have a shiatzu massage, now THATS how you'd attract more visitors =)

Ok..I have said it before - I am all for the security measures - and Domokun, His Injuredness ended up with a strip search at Sydney International on the way to the US 3 years ago...he tested positive to that swab for the chemical in bombs - yaddayadda. Could have been the chlorine he dumped into the pool or the fertaliser he spread on the lawn or the chemicals he washed out the dog kennels with the day before we left...

No problem with it! It made the plane trip safe.

I would also have no problem with this if it actually served a valid purpose. And keeping the Aussie out of Niseko doesn't cut it - you guys got the goods and we wanna share - we will bring $$ and spend and help your economy in return.

No need for over reaction at this stage, but I sure hear what you are saying about the inconvenience for business... If it get's too frustrating the business men will turn elsewhere.

The details have been very sketchy over here as well. I wouldn't blame the travel agent and I don't even know if they have a responsibility to tell you. If people are going to miss connecting flights because of it, I'm sure news will filter back.

Originally Posted By: thursday
I heard there was a body cavity search for Perth flights.

Will they at least buy you dinner first?
I just hope they call me the next morning so i don't feel used.. lol.gif

Hey, I like gettign sniffed by the sniffer dogs, I just have to hold back from wanting to pat em =)

I guess as U said MamaB, it's prolly not much fun getting buck naked with a bunch of dudes holding tazers =)

Im will stay away from dog poo & chlorine then...

Even if it is data base based given the Japanese talent at stretching even the easiest process into a major ordeal you just know that it is going to take ages to get through the system. Even the current with no printing takes bloody ages.

Step up to the line, place thumb on the touch pad (no the other thumb) wait, wait, wait....wait. Ok, now the other thumb, wait, wait, wait, wait. Sorry there is something wrong, can you put the first thumb on the scan again......

Originally Posted By: Rag-Doll
Even if it is data base based given the Japanese talent at stretching even the easiest process into a major ordeal you just know that it is going to take ages to get through the system. Even the current with no printing takes bloody ages.

Step up to the line, place thumb on the touch pad (no the other thumb) wait, wait, wait....wait. Ok, now the other thumb, wait, wait, wait, wait. Sorry there is something wrong, can you put the first thumb on the scan again......

oh...hold on, you must speak to my supervisor!

Yep, this is gonna be a nightmare, the Japanese are nothing but meticulous about implementing bureacratic orders. They will have to do things 3 times before they decide its wrong and then you'll have to speak a multitude of supervisors before you can even put your thumb up for printing again, in between this there will be much sucking of teeth!!!

enjoy, I'm never leaving Japan again!!!! ;\)