Primary school kids - having more fun than we are

This from the Telegraph about school kids in UK doing what we used to do in college. They start young these days.

The true scale of drug and alcohol abuse among children has been disclosed as the first large-scale Government survey showed that thousands of primary school pupils get drunk every month.

As many as one in 20 children aged 10 and 11 admitted taking part in a heavy drinking session in the past four weeks. Among 14- and 15-year-olds the numbers rose above a third - raising fresh fears over the extent of Britain's binge drinking culture.

Alarmingly, one in 10 secondary school pupils had tried cannabis and three per cent took hard drugs, including cocaine, heroin and ecstasy.

full story here

Quote:
As many as one in 20 children aged 10 and 11 admitted taking part in a heavy drinking session in the past four weeks

When do these kids have their 'childhood' now? 0 - 2 years?

Those numbers are alarming, if they are true.

It's hardly surprising when both parents (if there are two parents) work full time to be able to afford the super luxurious lifestyles that seem to be just the normal expectation of everyone these days.

Now in Japan the wife dutifully gives up working after having a child to actually take the time to raise them! Crazy idea I know but at least behavioral problems with Japanese kids don't seem quite as extreme. And if you take half the population (women) out of the working pool if makes it a lot easier to have near full employment for men and thus reduces the huge social problems created when you have a whole lot of men hanging around with nothing to do. This just might appear a little sexist but I think there has been major social problems arising from women continuing to work after having children, problems for the children and society as a whole. Of course I'll expect my wife to get back to work as soon as possible because I enjoy the super luxurious lifestyle too much \:D

Not that at all GN,

Britain is a mess of non-working couples who are on the dole for the only reason that they believe their country owes them a living.

Sad bastards, some of my school friends were determined not to work because they could go on the dole. That was in my time, not sure about the qualifications now.

Plus now you have the Eastern Euro asylum seekers draining the treasury and the influx for the first time in history of over 1/2 million migrants from the beautiful commonwealth who have a right to relocate there and blah blah blah... not my prob and not at all relevant to this article at all. Good luck chaps, keep the stiff upper lip.

An interesting issue for me as the mother of teenaged boys!

I attended a seminar not that long ago that highlighted that permanent brain chemistry changes occur in CHILDREN that are drinking. By children I mean people under the age of say 21 (I know 18 is the legal limit in Aus). While the brain is still developing the introduction of regular alcohol and/or binged alcohol can permanantly alter this growth and development.

I hosted a party for my son's 14th - 98 people. Mostly well behaved, however they tried it on. A few turned up seemingly straight but with a wiff of alcohol on thier breath, one girl could hardly stand up, and on post party clean up we found 3 UDL cans inside the property and another 5 outside. Not bad for a party of this size - BUT we were pretty strict. It has given me an insight into what REALLY goes on. Parents need to contact hosting parents, and they need to communicate with thier kids.

Quote:
and they need to communicate with thier kids

Seems so obvious doesn't it, but for some it is just not happening. Next door to me is a couple with 2 kids. I say couple, but the father is hardly ever there. It's either business trip or he is coming back home at midnight every night after drinking and then going to work before the kids wake up. They hardly ever see the guy. Sad.

One thing that has to be remembered is that kids will want to experiment, rebel a little and be cool. So most of them will try alcohol and drugs as teenagers. I had very supportive parents who understood this. So even when I was 15 and going out to get pretty damn drunk I didn't have to lie to my parents about what I was doing. They always knew where I was and what I was up to. The amount of my friends though who had to spend their whole teenage years lying to their parents whenever they wanted to go out and do something fun was incredible. These kids parents would maybe chat to my parents saying how well behaved their kids were even though the previous weekend their kids were at my house puking up into the wee hours of the morning from drinking too much. So being strict with your kids is no guarantee that they won't be going out doing all the things you're so scared they might do. They'll just do it behind your back and you'll have no idea about it.

That's exactly what happened to me to GN. When I was 15 I wanted to go out to pubs and clubs with all my friends but instead of lying about it like all my friends I asked my parents directly and they said no.

I explained (read: screamed) that if they said no I was going to go anyway but that I would have to lie to them and that I didn't see why I should be punished (i.e. not get to go) for being honest.

They came around pretty quickly and my Dad used to come and pick us up and drive us all home when the clubs closed at 2 a.m. It was a good compromise.

I see the same thing all the time happening now with adults in relationships. Guys wanting to go out for a drink with their mates making up all kinds of stories to tell their wives. I wonder if these were the same kids who grew up lying to their parents the whole time?

Originally Posted By: Go Native
I see the same thing all the time happening now with adults in relationships. Guys wanting to go out for a drink with their mates making up all kinds of stories to tell their wives. I wonder if these were the same kids who grew up lying to their parents the whole time?

Ohhh!! I HATE that!
But what are these wives doing trying to impose behavioural rules on thier husbands in the first place?
I understand the new mother who would like her hubby home at a reasonable hour to help with the kids bed or whatever - like shared responsibility... but some women just seem to want to control thier husbands every breath! Heck if I squeezed that tight my man would be GONE - he and I just give each other respect. He gets nights with the boys, I get nights with the girls. All GOOD!

What kind of excuse does one need to go for a drink with his mates?

It's more a problem if they're trying to sneak off with the local whoare.

and mamabear... Be home to tuck the kids in???

Here we are behind you guys who have the kidsin bed at 6;30! It's more like tuck em in then go have ya fun!

I was in a club for the first time when I was 15, but it wasn't until the next year that i went regularly. I also was able to tell ask my parents if I could go clubbing, but usually I had to meet them face to face before heading down town (at around 11pm) so that they could see that i wasn't stinking drunk.

Thurs, in all honesty its been my experience that the immigrants that have came to the UK from the old eastern bloc nations like Poland have been nothing but hard working individuals who have added to society. They are not dole bludgers nor do they seem to drain the government of money. The people who are doing that are all home grown UKers.