Hi, back with another beginner question. I'm convinced that I saw a thread comparing different packs when I joined last year but I can't find it for the life of me...

Anyway, as mentioned in another thread am looking to get into BC this year, will probably be restricting myself to daytrips this year, would probably want to use the pack inbounds occasionally so nothing so enormous that it wouldn't fit on a chair even when lightly filled. At the same time, needs to be able to carry the skis and also have shovel, probe and beacon easily accessible as well as room for an extra layer or two and emergency gear.

I had a search around TGR and epicski, and it seems that Dakine's Helipro, Osprey Switch and BD Slide are popular names. Any personal opinions/things to watch out for from users? I'm presuming that they will all be available in Japan. Thanks!

edit: with all the gear I'm picking up this year, I am getting quite price sensitive, so I guess I'd rather not pay up for features that I may never use.

king, do you read Japanese? If you do, Bravoski, Fall Line, and Powder Guide, all have great info and prices included as well. Im in the market for a new bag as well since the one FT got for me last year has turned into my gym bag and is getting pretty worn. I'd post info but dont have time now nor do I have the mags with me either. Sorry

You are talking about this thread:

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/78787/fpart/1

The names you mentioned are all quite popular. If you want my advice don’t get anything before you put it on your back, preferably with some weight inside. Packs are like boots, not all fit all body types. There is not really any bad brand out there, only bad fit. What’s good for me isn’t necessary good for you and vice versa.

in the market myself and have been checking out a few backpacks.. saw the Burton AK a while ago and ummed and ahhed about that but left it till i had done a bit more research...

a mate has since forwarded me this website which seems to have a pretty comprehensive list of BC packs - as well as reviews by users.

http://www.backcountry.com

There are many good bags out there. Most of the bc boarders I know have ospreys. They are usually well thought out. For simple day bags, then the choice is wide. This site has a large selection but no user reviews.

http://www.backcountrygear.com

As Tsonda mentionned, I think that it is a good idea to try it out before buying if you have a chance.

burton packs generally suck. They are built around carrying an mp3 player. The thought process in placing zippers, pockets, etc is non-existent.

I have an osprey which I like, but I find the shovel pocket is too huge. also as it opens from the back (good for me & my camera), it loads out horizontally as opposed to vertically. I think this makes riding with it when it's fully loaded harder. Note my switch is 2 years old and the design has changed since then.

I ve found that the staff in ICI sports (the one on the second floor, closer to jinbocho station)is the most experienced around and will help you pick one that fits you nice. They have sand bags in the back packs section to put inside the pack and give you an idea how it feels when its loaded. Be warned though, ICI is the MOST expensive place around. So better go there just to pick one and order it from the internet.

i bought a daypack just before i got into BC. it was a good quality 'macpak' so i couldnt justify buying another one just for BC.

i bought straps so i could clip my board or snowshoes & poles in easily.

i've had no problems with it so far, it fits everything i need, shovel & probe and all that with extra room leftover.

maybe its a cheaper option.

Yes, ICI can be a touch expensive... have you seen their Harajuku branch? More like a fashion store! Having said that, they were much better than anywhere else when it came to taking time to fit my boots. I don't mind paying up a little because I appreciate the extra mile they go. Unless they're really expensive. Then the internet gets some love.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit of a pack junkie.

Obviously I haven't tried all of them but my input on the ones i've used, FWIW

Dakine - Helipro and Helipack

Great packs. I've heard a lot of people criticise the quality of Dakine gear but I've found them to be very durable. They are comfortable and have a good robust carrying system which I find best using a diagonal carry. Probably the best value IMHO.

Black Diamond Covert with Avalung

Great pack if you want an avalung. Expensive but eliminates the"geeky" look of the avalung. Pockets are designed for BD shovels for perfect fit. BTW the BD Deploy shovels are fantastic. I'd always used Voile gear but the deploy shovels are my new favourite.

BC Access Stash Pack

Very nice minimalist pack. Good for inbounds lift riding due to small volume. Carry straps stored inside are not as good as the previously discussed packs. Hydration system is great but , I rarely use it.

Lowe Alpine

Can't remember the model name. Not as good as the others in my view.

Macpac

Loved the Macpac Ascent for climbing but never used any of their packs for skiing. Well made, can take a beating.

What would I buy?

If money's no object- the BD Covert with avalung (plus deploy shovel)

If budget matters - Dakine Helipro

Yeah , agree that having an avalung on its own means you can change packs easily.

The only problem is .. I never used an avalung until it was incorporated into a pack. I'm not sure whether I was put off by the look (which is a poor reason) or that the combo looked cumbersome, but I couldn't quite get there ...I know lots of others who were the same. I guess that time also coincided with the early Avalung years when it was pretty much an unknown entity.

Now, i've got the avalung, which I think is good. It still feels a bit odd having this mouthpiece in the corner of your eye. I must confess I don't have the mouthpiece out all the time.

Size wise - they have 22L, 32L and 42L so it is possible to have a pack of appropriate size, but obviously the cost to have 2 or 3 packs is very high.

You'd only need 2 of those sizes, not 3.

I don't camp out overnight anymore, so I keep my pack small.

But, if budget is an issue, I'd agree with Fattwins.

Suggest that any backpack, particularly one for BC should be as simple as possible .... 25 - 30l, compression straps, lid pocket. Waist and chest strap and thats it. Make sure you can fit a shovel inside - check the length v. the handle length. Shovels on the outside get caught in trees and fall off - particularly tree skiing in JP. Oh -and cut some foam to fit the back - you can sit on, it protects your back if you wipe out and if the sh*t hits the fan and someone messes up their legs, knees or arms you have an instant splint with some duct tape.

My pacs are a macpac that is almost on it's last legs but is great and a Mont Bell pack - lighter, stronger and cheaper than any other pack I have seen. KISS.

After 5 years of fairly intense use I've retired my 30 litre Marmot Eiger and bought an Arcteryx Khamski from MEC. The Eiger was getting thread bare and I could see through the fabric in the bottom. That bag went a lot of places in the mountains with me though. For a 30 litre bag I sometimes stuffed it enough to get out for 3 days.

Link to MEC

I'm happy with the Khamski so far. At 40 litres its big enough for a days load of gear plus some extras which I need up north. And my first shovel/probe pocket which is great for storing wet skins and of course shovels.