Bored with the big names. New policy this year

OK I'm going to say it. I'm getting a bit bored of hearing about "Niseko" and "Hakuba" and the other main places on the list. Yes they are there for a reason (good, being sold, the "main places"), but I want a change. So this season I've decided to check out some perhaps less well known places (to me anyway) that aren't getting all that hype.

Here's my general plan. I'm going to check out some places in Iwate (I have friends up there), I'm going to check out Yamagata Zao and a few places round there - might even bump into soubs - and I want to check out some places in Fukushima maybe around the Bandai area. I'm also going to check out the Minakami area, and maybe Myoko and a got my eye on a few other resorts that seem interesting.

I'm going to enjoy it. I'll probably feel like I've been to Hakuba anyway with all the talk and photos that will be on here ;\)

\:\)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said.

Have fun in Iwate. Hachimatai is small but in my opinion the best resort in Japan!

I say that as a snowboarder rather than as a winter holiday-maker.

I feel safe saying that (and it won't become overrun with Ozzies, ha ha) as it's far away enough that any more visitors will just keep it open until i visit again.

Originally Posted By: AK 77

I feel safe saying that (and it won't become overrun with Ozzies, ha ha) as it's far away enough that any more visitors will just keep it open until i visit again.

Could be worse.. AMERICANs.. but they have winter at the same time so why come here?? wakaranai.gif

I'm thinking of something similar this year. I finally got a job in Hirafu where I don't have to work 6 days a week over winter. So I'll have time to travel further afield and try out a whole lot of new places.

I think it's a good idea as well. I will be going to Hakuba once I think but I'm on a mission to find some other places this time as well.

Never been to Hakuba or Niseko yet, have to say not that interested in the big well know places as too over crouded.

Instead I usually go to some of the smaller places in either Niigata, Gunma or Nagano. There are a couple of not so well know places in Gunma that I go to, which are like a 1000 yen for a days lift ticket, the car park is literally right in front of the ski park and only about a 30 min drive from my house. Perfect for me and my family.

A resort I like a lot in Niigata is green pea (or what ever it's called) in tsunan, I like the nice curves and smoothness of the hill.

I am on a mission to visit a lot more places this year and try to ski every week too.

Originally Posted By: orinoco
I don't.

'The point' really seems to be eluding some of you doesn't it?

Is the point to explore places that people don't hype on SJ?
Here in Toyama they (the Japanese) don't hype Hakuba very much, it's all about the big Gifu resorts (Takasu, etc)

Soubs, Akakura is actually pretty big

The point is I want to go to places other than Niseko and Hakuba. Whether they are busy or not or popular or not with Japanese (or anyone else for that matter) is not relevant.

Quite simple, don't you think?

Originally Posted By: Kumapix
Soubs, Akakura is actually pretty big

Read more carefully ;\) I wrote Akakura Onsen.

It's about 30 minutes drive from me, has three lifts and great snow. If it wasn't for the army (leather boots, telemark skis) it would max at 30 people on a weekday.

The good part is they leave plenty of powder, until it gets tracked out. Then they groom it. If you get there early, there's 2 hours of fresh powder over a good base. Ideal for a grumpy old git. \:\)

I get your point exactly and that is great. I spent many years doing the same thing till I found the perfect spot. Dont ever count Hakuba out as it is huge, Niseko likewise. Come to either in March when the tourists arent kicking about.

If you understand the term tronning-trees, and it makes you excited, I'll show you a very quiet part of Zao. A zao aesthetic that involves riding double chairs, and zero other people.

However, if trees aren't your thing...