Originally Posted By: stevo
Has it got a village sort of feel like nozawa or spread out like hakuba? Would 5 nights be enough time to explore?

5 days trying out the various resorts would be good: suginohara, ikenotaira, akakura and seki onsen = great trip

I rode Suginohara quite a bit last year. Overall i think its got better terrain than Nozawa. The pitty is that the lifts dont go up to the top of the hill. I think Myoko is around 2,400m and the lifts probably go around 1,800 maybe a little more.

If the snow is good its a great hill but the pitty about the place is that all the ski hills arnt linked together. As the other people said Suginohara isnt in the town but im sure there is a bus or something to take you around.

matt

the trees at Akakura are good but be careful and ride with a buddy as there are danger spots. Patrol will nick your ticket if they catch you out of bounds. Also, before you duck in to trees figure out where you're going to come out. Akakura has lots of rolls & valleys and you could find yourself stuck. I highly recommend having avy gear too as if you do find the good open stuff (as you come out of the woods) it does slide.

There's a good park at Kumado and I think there might be a permanent boarder x track (but don't quote me on that).