• Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greek philosophy gave us Arabic numbers, and algebra.

The age of reason gave us Galileo, Newton, Darwin and Einstein.

Philosophy is science.

The arts are a diversion.

Religion's purpose is to kill thinkers who don't conform to the doctrine. Witness The Inquisition, and Jihad.

Religion is run by self-appointed a-moral rich fat old bastard gangsters who have no scruples about killing anyone who get in their way.

Errm no. I've rung No1 son to apologise for expecting him to stand up to my ex- when I don't have the guts.

The meds really help but they don't fix the problem.

I'm totally allergic to anything or anyone dictating how I should live my life. It started when I was five and beaten for being left handed. I'm 55 and still dealing with someone who confused softness for weakness.

Tomorrow the ace lady and I are off for holidays. We will have a great time chilling in sin, with no Church and no ex- spouse listing our sins.

Haven't been to church since I realised that there is no god at the tender age of 15 or so \:D

But if the original poster is still reading, then this might interest them... I was looking into Norikura and thinking of getting a season pass there when I found a gaijin run lodge up there called Northstar with a distinctly christian bent to it.

The guy who runs the lodge (with its own school, rentals and backcountry tours no less) also runs an organisation called Snowboarders for Christ (or the Japan chapter at least)

http://sfcjapan.com/

Originally Posted By: soubriquet

Religion's purpose is to kill thinkers who don't conform to the doctrine. Witness The Inquisition, and Jihad.

Religion is run by self-appointed a-moral rich fat old bastard gangsters who have no scruples about killing anyone who get in their way

Couldn't have put it any better!! clap.gif
 Originally Posted By: Crudzilla
Haven't been to church since I realised that there is no god at the tender age of 15 or so \:D

But if the original poster is still reading, then this might interest them... I was looking into Norikura and thinking of getting a season pass there when I found a gaijin run lodge up there called Northstar with a distinctly christian bent to it.

The guy who runs the lodge (with its own school, rentals and backcountry tours no less) also runs an organisation called Snowboarders for Christ (or the Japan chapter at least)

http://sfcjapan.com/

This must be a parody site - its really too bizarre to be real! Although I must admit that I remember seeing and talking to God personally a couple of times when I hit bumps at 100+ kms/hr on a downhill course when I was racing as a kid - but I haven't seem him/her in my life since then....!

I had a great religious upbringing - every Sunday from about age 13 to 16, my parents took my brother and sister and I to a different church/synagog/temple/mosque etc. in Canada. I had a chance to observe and participate in all kinds of different church experiences. We discussed these as a family and it was a really interesting exercise for all of us. I didn't hate 'going to church' as a kid - we actually looked forward to going to different churches every week and discussing all of their differences and similarities at the dinner table.

It became clear to me as a kid - first hand - how religions (and also racial/cultural differences) all attempted to be 'the only one' and/or that other beliefs were somehow evil. At a young age, I figured out on my own that none of them could be 'right' and it has helped me understand how messed up and dangerous religion can be in creating conflict in the world and setting a foundation for the way people (and peoples) view themselves and judge others. Even an innocent 'Sunday school' environment has a very powerful influence on kids...

I recommend anyone with religious beliefs to spend 'equal time' participating in other religions - or for parents - at least give your kids the opportunity to experience different religions and let them figure things out for themselves.

Good post, fjef.

My U.S. friend grew up with missionary parents in somekind of Christian commune-type community in Nagano, so maybe Nagano's got some kind of Christian thing happening. What was that group called? "Snowboarder Who Kill People Who Don't Conform to the Doctrine for Christ"? No, I don't think that's it. --"Snowboarders for Christ" --That was it.

I dunno. I was watching cbc news the other day and they featured an atheist summer camp for kids and they interviewed all these people who had freed themselves from religion and had seen the light. They seemed to have all the answers. They seemed pretty self-righteous actually -- I thought that's what they were trying to escape. Extremism is the problem (in ideology, not sports). Religion's not for me at this point but I don't think we should lump all "Snowboarders for Christ" in with the "Snowboarders Who Kill People Who Don't Conform to the Doctrine for Christ".

Originally Posted By: ger
I dunno. I was watching cbc news the other day and they featured an atheist summer camp for kids and they interviewed all these people who had freed themselves from religion and had seen the light. They seemed to have all the answers. They seemed pretty self-righteous actually -- I thought that's what they were trying to escape. Extremism is the problem (in ideology, not sports). Religion's not for me at this point but I don't think we should lump all "Snowboarders for Christ" in with the "Snowboarders Who Kill People Who Don't Conform to the Doctrine for Christ".

Well balanced!

It is certainly a problem of extremism - but also one of hate and fear.

People fear those that are different from themselves, then they turn that fear into hate - add in a healthy dose of extremism with a "mission" as directed by a group and according to all Social Psychology research the responsibility of the individual is then negated. People behave in groups in ways they would never consider appropriate as an individual.

For me - it is "be and let be". We appreciate spirituality in many forms but coming from a predominantly Christian background this is where we tend to fall. My 14 yr old is doing a Pilgrimage to Nepal to work with Buddhist Monks next year, working with lepers, orphaned children and other groups that need help. It would not matter if they were Buddhist, Hindu, Christian or from the Church of Snow Worship - they are doing good work, and are good people.

I hear what everyone is saying about the bad things that have happened, and about extremists - but I also know there are plenty of good people out there who have faith (whatever faith thiers is), who do not fit that profile. By all means be mad with the groups that have done wrong - but lets have an open mind and an open heart for individuals - our Snowboarding Vicar might be a REALLY great bloke!

I go to church. I even lead the service occasionally. I went through the, 'what is the meaning of life' bit in my late teens and early twenties. Did comparative religion 101 (self directed) Tried a couple of faiths but they didnt really explain either the lack of 'something' in life or the human condition so I gave them the flick. I looked at christianity and actually read what Christ said about man and it made sense, so did the thread of price and payment that runs through the bible from beginning to end. So on a purely intellectual level I was satisfied. On the spiritual level I was still empty, I had a crisis and eventually gave in to Gods demand that I believe (have faith) in him, ie I had to capitulate. Not an easy thing to do for a control freak like myself.

So now all I have to deal with is the occational intellectual question of his existence or his involvement in our affairs to sort. We all have our moments of doubt. For those who have the patience "Mere Christianity" by CS Lewis is a very good book to read it isnt a 'switch off your brain and just believe' book.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear

I hear what everyone is saying about the bad things that have happened, and about extremists - but I also know there are plenty of good people out there who have faith (whatever faith thiers is), who do not fit that profile. By all means be mad with the groups that have done wrong - but lets have an open mind and an open heart for individuals - our Snowboarding Vicar might be a REALLY great bloke!

That people of faith(s) can be good should be obvious - but for many people of 'faith', the reverse is often harder to accept. Most religions do not teach or accept that non-believers can be good people. This is where a lot of problems start.

I find it interesteing how a lot of people spout the "religion is illogical and their is no god" line. In some cases, like you Soub, I agree that you have been given a very good reason to be turned off catholicism, but in many cases it is just people taking the arguments they have heard rehashed, without really thinking all that deeply and searching themselves, and throwing religion away because it is more of an annoying thing to have to deal with. If you have honestly and really searched out answers, and not just taken the popular "religion is bollocks" line, then I respect your decision, whatever it may be. But it seems too easy for people to trash religion without having ever REALLY delved into it all too much. A decision to ditch it all because it is all bollocks, in your teens, isn't necessarily gonna be a balanced and fair one. Accepting these arguments without really exploring your own ideas, just because it is convenient to you and how you want to live (ie. Can't be arsed going to the synagogue on Saturdays), is just as bad as accepting religion blindly just because that is what the Mufti tells you.

Well that certainly wasn't the case in the christian church I grew up in fjef. That was a given, and emphasised many times. Modern day christianity is, in many cases and in many demoninations, a lot different from how it was during the middle ages in terms of acceptance.

Its' nice to read a thread about religion that has some balanced arguments and opinions and not the usual mud slinging that one usually get with inflamatory subjects like this.

I agree people who dont "have religion" are often good and do good things. I dont think that the bible denies that, it is about our relationship with the supreme being that is in question.

"I recommend anyone with religious beliefs to spend 'equal time' participating in other religions - or for parents - at least give your kids the opportunity to experience different religions and let them figure things out for themselves."

My 13yr old daughter is currently searching for the truth and has not accepted the "christian" line on faith. Im not suprised, she has a sharp enquiring mind and has never accepted anything as true simply because "we say it is so".

Fortunately she is not rejecting faith for a dark or emotional reason. It is simply that she has thought the matter over and cannot recocile the image of a loving God with the suffering of the innocents that she has seen (firsthand in Africa).

Im proud that she is questioning all the 'God' stuff. If and when she does accept God it will be because she is convinced of the rightness of what she has read seen and believes, not because someone told her so.

Originally Posted By: Bushpig
I find it interesteing how a lot of people spout the "religion is illogical and their is no god" line.

Does "religion is illogical and {there} is a God" make more sense to you?

You mention that people should search for answers - and I think Soubs has clearly said that science now provides us with far more logical answers than religion - so why are you assuming that non-religious people have made their decision because they are lazy or blind?

Originally Posted By: the snowboarding vicar
I must sit down and read these comments all of which are interesting even if some make uncomfortable reading.

How could it be uncomfortable reading if you have faith?

Originally Posted By: fjef
 Originally Posted By: the snowboarding vicar
I must sit down and read these comments all of which are interesting even if some make uncomfortable reading.

How could it be uncomfortable reading if you have faith?

fjef,
Come on...
All human beings are born with an innate need for affirmation encouragement and support. Regardless of the Vicars strength of faith he will feel personal discomfort reading a lot of these replies.
That is normal, natural and human.

Hats off to the Vicar for taking the time and effort to read all the replies and get a sense of the opinions of 'the masses' despite being uncomfortable for him! Whether he agree's or disagree's with what has been said, he is taking the time to listen to you. You go Vic!