Hey guys, I need a bit of help choosing a gift for an elderly Japanese couple I got to know last year. I was thinking a bottle of something as they loved their sake, would a nice Australian red be suitable? Or maybe a spirit perhaps? Just trying to get an idea of the Japanese palate and what's viewed as special gift. Also, should i wrap the gift and expect them to open it with me? They were very traditional. Cheers! \:\)

Thanks guys. I was thinking red wine might not be the best choice. I'll have to get someone else to wrap it cause i can't wrap presents for the life of me! Food was my first idea but whatever I get has to sit in storage for about 75 days whilst I travel! Cheers

Hey - what about the Tim Tams.

I do a lot international swapping and the most requested items are Tim Tams and Cadbury Chocolate (ohh yeah and stuffed Koala's!)

We have also hosted 2 J-exchange students and both of them couldn't get enough of the Tim Tams - I had to send home multiple value packs with them for thier families...

As for wrapping - I got some fabulous high quality wrapping paper printed with photo like pics of Koala's, with matching gift cards from the Perth Zoo Gift shop. Wrapping whatever you buy in a paper like that with some lovely satin ribbon (not curling ribbon!!The Fabric stuff..)to set it off will be well appreciated.

It is the thought and the effort that holds more value than the content of the actual gift.

Originally Posted By: thursday
quite seriously, things like touristy boomerangs and cuddly Koalas are not made in Australia, they are made in the sweatshop of the world.

They ARE hard to find Thursday!
Doing a lot of International Swapping I am always looking for the MADE in AUSTRALIA tag - no point sending something from elsewhere to someone in one of these 'Taste of Home' swaps...
But they ARE out there - they just cost a lot more.
There are some seriously yummy smelling Aussie made soaps and body lotions out there - set you back $10 - $30 a bar (!!) but they are WONDERFUL. Sandalwood and Eucalyptus products are often genuine Made in Oz as well.

You will eat them on the way.

I was caught out when I first came here with presents. I didn't take much notice of the Made in things and lots were not from where I'm made in. The Japanese did notice of course.

Originally Posted By: thursday
Please. Consider this: A Wedgewood teapot. It has worked wonders for me. It will for you.

Actually, that's an awesome idea thursday.
Australia has some great teas on offer as well. I know Japanese love Green tea, but perhaps you could offer them something very unique, like mango or something nice (you know from those boutique design tea shops).

Also, perhaps 2 small teacups (japanese style) for both of them to enjoy.

Oh, and a bottle of Sake, in case they think the tea sucked =0

China / wedgewood that kind of things is really popular. Though you can get it now here in some dept stores which makes it less unique I suppose. Very expensive here.