Hi all, I'm new here \:\) I'm currently organising a trip with a few friends to Japan in February 2008, and since some of our group have never seen snow I'm thinking of putting in a day trip from Tokyo to Hakuba to go skiing. Of our group only myself has been skiing before, and even then I'm still definitely a beginner so I'd like to go somewhere that has some newbie friendly slopes as well as larger ones if we get more confident.

Is Hakuba a good place for newbie skiers? Is there a particular resort that you'd recommend for people at our level? Are there any associated costs other than transport there, entry, gear hire and food if we're just going for the day and not staying overnight?

Hi ChisaChi and welcome.

You will have a lot of choice in a place like Hakuba. Enjoy it.

clap.gif

(Aside: All these "Hakuba" threads remind me so much of the Niseko threads a few years ago. People got hassle for those and were made fun of. Quite funny).

for a closer option you might want to check out the Yuzawa area which is around only one hour from Tokyo on the bullet train.

Gala Yuzawa is perfect for beginners and if you hit it midweek you`ll escape the crowds. If you head a bit further north you`ll have access to Kagura, Pine Ridge and a few other resorts that should match what youre after.

run a search on here and see how you go..

if its just a daytrip you should go somewhere thats closer and easy to get to from tokyo. i think all resorts have beginners and advanced courses. Maybe not as many runs but if it was my first time to see snow i'd wanna spend as much time enjoying it rather then sitting in a train or bus.

Thanks everyone! I thought of Hakuba simply because it was mentioned so much, but yes, being close to Tokyo is definitely important for us since we're limited on time! If Yuzawa is closer I'll definitely check it out. Would that be the closest one to Tokyo? As we're beginners we're not necessarily looking for the most amazing ski resort, just somewhere decent to try it out ^_^

Do you think we really need an instructor? I did a basics lesson the first time I went skiing (as a child) and again the second time in Melbourne - it took up quite a chunk of the day and didn't really feel worth it. I don't think any of us are planning on doing anything fancy. Although I guess the only slopes I've been on are in Australia and (I'm assuming) are comparatively small.

I have been on skiing day trips before and you're right, it never feels like enough! It'll depend on how the others feel about it and how cheaply we can get accommodation, but it is definitely worth looking into it.

Edit: the Yuzawa town guide seems to be down =/

• SnowJapan Admin

I have just fixed that link.

Everyone - if you find things like this, don't keep it quiet or post a comment on here that we might well miss..... please contact us directly and let us know!

Thanks

\:\)

actually, I don't really think you need an instructor. As long as your guys are new to the snow and skiing and stuff, maybe an instructor would dampen your spritis. I'd suggest you go to the top, have a few beers, then see what the slopes have to say.

Don't forget to stop when you feel you're going too fast for your skillls.

OK, said this many times before and am still happy to repeat it:

For beginners who just want to try out a bit of skiing and not looking for challenging terrain, Karuizawa is the most convenient. Less than an hour from Tokyo by bullet-train. The resort is just outside the station.

Gala Yuzawa is also another resort just outside a train station and it has better terrain but it is a bit further away so the train ride is longer.

I disagree with all these "Gala is good for beginners" comments.

It is not.

While the snow is usually good, the runs are narrow and really not suited to complete beginners at all. Especially on busy days when those narrow runs get really crowded. Beginners should stay away from Gala and take a 10 minute bus ride to somewhere like Iwappara which is perfect for them with long extremely wide runs.

Originally Posted By: thursday
actually, I don't really think you need an instructor. As long as your guys are new to the snow and skiing and stuff, maybe an instructor would dampen your spritis. I'd suggest you go to the top, have a few beers, then see what the slopes have to say.

Don't forget to stop when you feel you're going too fast for your skillls.

Don't know if you're trying to be funny or what. But if you are serious, that is poor advice. Not a good idea for anyone new to snow to go it alone without an instructor or at least an experienced skier/boarder to guide you on....and especially not after drinking a few beers. You could easily get injured.

Sorry, my post may have been a bit confusing.

I meant Karuizawa is good for beginners and is right next to the station and then that Gala Yuzawa was also right next to the station (not wanting to imply that it is good for beginners).

But given your input (I don't know much about Gala Yuzawa except that it is right at the station) then probably Karuizawa is a better choice for them.

...but you will struggle to find one that speaks Eng in most places.

Snow sports in Japan are good value, very accessible and are reason enough to visit Japan. Why not have a proper go at it and head to Nozawa or somewhere in Hakuba for a few days. Get some lessons for the uninitiated and give everybody a chance to have some fun. A day trip and renting, with or without instructors, is going to be of limited value. Also, many resorts in Japan are pretty spartan when it comes to facilities so, depending on where you go, you may find yourself somewhat underwhelmed by the off snow facilities and the curried rice lunch.

OK..new snowboarder chiming in here...

We have travelled with not only our 6, but 2 other families of 4 each to Niskeo. Mix of experienced skiers, expereinced boarders, newish boarders, and complete novices - MY take on it ... EVERYONE should have lessons.

Unless you are the instructor, and you spend every winter hammering down the slopes, carving up the park and treking the back country you can always get something from a session with an appropraite levelled instructor.

For a beginner it means the difference between getting going and feeling excited with your experience - and NOT getting going, hurting yourself and never wanting to do it again..

Get the instructor! ;\)

I'd agree and say Karuizawa, as gentle slopes are definitely needed. Karuizawa's also far more than a ski place - it's a beautiful, upmarket Japanese country town with a lot of shops (has a new outlet mall right by the station), good hotels and lots of green countryside and mountain views around. The Nagano shinkansen from Tokyo's a piece of cake, while Hakuba's not so convenient for a day trip - as you have to go to Nagano (beyond Karuizawa on the same line) and then get on a bus for an hour.

Wow, lots of good advice here. Although I'm getting confused with all these place names O_o So Karuizawa and Yuzawa are the ones closer to Japan that I should check out, and I should definitely look into getting an instructor so we all stay safe. They will need to speak English though, I doubt my limited Japanese will get me far.

The reason I'm thinking of a day trip at the moment is that this is more of an afterthought - our plans are more focussed on exploring Tokyo and the Kansai region at this point, and I'm not sure if we can fit in more than a day in the snow or if the rest of my group will want to. I'll have to see how we go.