Hey all, i'm new here and have my flights booked for Japan (Dec 16th - Feb 12th). Before i book accommodation, i want to make sure if these are the right dates to go snowboarding in Hakuba: Jan 29th - Feb 8th, or Jan 25th - Feb 3rd. That's 10 days, but me and my 2 friends are flexible with our length of stay. That is, if there's any price break points with gear hire, accomodation etc. after XX amount of days, we'll consider it.

Since we'll be there for a while, we're looking for any decent places that's no more than $50 AUD (5,300 JPY)per person per night. Anything walking distance or near transit routes to go to any of the 7 lifts is our main priority. Also anything that's walking distance to an outdoor hotspring will be great, also will travel to any recommended hotsprings with good views. I was thinking "K's House Hakuba Alps" youth hostel in Goryu. Alternatively a mate highly recommended to go "Snowed Inn" but can't find a website or any info to book the place, any ideas?

Ok, so I used to ski every year but last time was more than 8 years ago (21 now). I don't know how this will effect learning to snowboard but i want to learn snowboarding for the first time in any Hakuba resort. I'm looking to get an english snowboard instructor to teach me and a friend all the essentials. There was this place outdoor green but it's not clear where they're going to teach you. How many lessons do you think a newbie would need and on what resort? I was thinking 1 full day lesson with a private instructor.

Also, are there deals with packages/discounts that could save us money? One area i couldn't find any info on is the lift passes for different resorts. We're hoping to go to every Hakuba resort but can't find any prices for an unlimited day(s). What would be the best thing to go about these lift passes?

Lastly, what's the night life like around that time? Is it going off everynight or on the weekends? Will you find house music being played anywhere? Phew, i tried to keep this as short as possible so i hope i can get replies \:\)

Cheers

Hi,

either of those dates sound great for hakuba, I've actually booked at K's House Hauba Alps for 16 nights although i've never been there, its a bit out of the way though, so to get to most resorts presides goryu/47 you have to catch the train then shuttle bus. Echoland is ment to be the most centralised area for getting to any resort as its right in the middle, but I beleive this means higher bed prices. Also the train to happo is free, but past there you have to pay a train fare. If you look at the snowjapan website and search seperate resorts it has the tickets available as well as costs. most range from 30-4000yen a day. Also if you've done skiing before you'll probably pick up snowboarding at a decent pace, i'd recommend doing a beginners lesson then assessing yourself if you beleive you want to take further lessons. In hakuba theres no multipass for resorts, goryu/47 tickets work on either resort as i beleive there owned by the same company.

If you go Jan 25th - Feb 3rd you can come to the party \:\)

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/240496#Post240496

There is a huge resource of places to stay on another part of this site. Best to get in touch with places you are intersted in directly.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/hotel/index-nagano.html

Do you mean the outdoor centre "Evergreen"? The info is also on this site.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/services/evergreen-outdoors.html

The SJ guys really have everything down. Have a browse around the site and you will probably find answers to questions you didn't know you had!

Hopefully see you at the party!

Ah right, that's decent pricing for the lift tickets. Damn, i thought K's was more walking distance to goryu/47. So the hakuba village is the place with bars/clubs? Might not be bad for night time when stumbling back home :p. I guess JR rail pass will be useless travelling around the Hakuba region.

Yeap i meant evergreen. I remembered when i tried to book they also had a section saying "will you need accomodation" and if i selected hostel, it wouldn't say which one? It was a couple weeks since i looked since i have to plan the overall Japan trip and tackle with current exams. And yea i noticed that party thread, i'll definitly get in on it =).

Thanks for the quick reply's \:D

no you can walk from K's to goryu/47 but other resorts u need train/shuttle, check out the map on k's website it gives you a good indication.

What type of riding do you plan to do in hakuba? from what i've read goryu/47 dont like people going off piste/tree runs and will strip your pass pretty quickly? Also goryu/47 do have a 5 day ticket whats pretty good value, but from what I understand you want to check out a veriety of resorts (same as to what i've planned) and will probably spending 2 or so days at each?

Yeah i'm not sure going about off track tree runs. It'll be my first time snowboarding so i'm not going to try anything daring :p.

What area would have the best views for outdoor onsen's? Anything that's aesthetically pleasing in its surrounding and where you can kick back with a few beers. I will base the accomodation near the visually appealing onsen's cause it'd be a pain to come back to the resort and then have to travel in the cold just go to a hotspring.

Hmm just notice some places are filling up. Which means adjustment of dates from Jan 18th to Jan 27th is that still a good time?

Movendi,

I am an old duck with 4 kids - never saw snow before April 07 and I picked up snowboarding OK - with your background on ski's as a kid and your young age - you will be trying to tackle the tree's before long!!

But get those lessons and wear a helmet! Sometimes just a small adjustment from an instructor will take you from rabble to rythym, and the helmet is gonna give you a bit extra psychological confidence as well as provide real protection for your grey matter.

Hope Hakuba is great fun!

I doubt you'll be riding in the trees in your first 10 days of snowboarding. A helmet is a good idea because you will be slamming pretty hard the first 3 days. After that you should be able to get around all the resorts. If helmets aren't your thing, Red makes a padded beanie which looks no different from a regular one.

Don't worry about jumps and rails either - they'll come later. Trying to do too much before you're ready is asking for pain. Most of the hotsprings have nice views, but since you're going at the peak time of year, be ready for a sausage party! I suggest trying the onsen an hour before they close. but don't let that put you off, once you get in, they are great, and they'll help all the bruises you accumulate.

If you have no shame, padded pants will protect your derriere. That's what takes the brunt when you start snowboarding.

There's a great new onsen in Goryu off the main road through town. Fantastic rotenburo too. The changing room is tiny though, so I wouldn't want to go at peak times. You can have the place to yourself if you go now. clap.gif

I looked at the ass-armour and wondered if it was any good for those of us not inclined to be playing in the parks ... but then realized that MY ass did not need to be seen to be any bigger than it already is!! LOL

I am however taking gel knee pads this time round as my knee's go black every trip. I tend to get up toe edge (old chubby guts struggles with the heel - although I am determined to master it this trip), and I have a blood clotting disorder - so bruises are plentiful!!

Every protection possible I say.

Hubby swears by the gloves with built in wrist guards too! Coz ur wrists are gonna take a hammering while you are learning too. It is ok if you top to bottom without a fall - but if you fall 73 times from start to finish of a family slope (like I did) those hands and wrists are going to HURT!

I have bad wrists so I wear wrists guards, although word on the street is if you have a hard enough impact, wrist guards transfer the pressure from your wrist to your radius/ulna and can make a pretty nasty snap :p

Originally Posted By: Timmeh
I have bad wrists so I wear wrists guards, although word on the street is if you have a hard enough impact, wrist guards transfer the pressure from your wrist to your radius/ulna and can make a pretty nasty snap :p

Yeah ....There was a discussion on here not long ago about wrist guards, and that's pretty much what the general consensus was.

if u can learn breakfalls like they use in judo you can save your butt and wrists alot of pain, especially in the beginning. from a snowboarding POV anyway and probably skis.

they are not so difficult but making a habit of it takes some time.