Thanks for the feedback. MH seems to be the go.

I must admit I did not think about the fact that for a girl, a heavy bag can be quite a load. EBC, As long as you got the right compromise in terms of weight/protection and you are satisfied, then no need for more than that.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi NPM,

I actually ordered mine online already and they tried to deliver it this w/e. So will get it tomorrow hopefully :-)

There are many online retailers that carry MH if it is the brand you are after. Let me know if you need more info.

What did you get?

I love my moonstone bag it is even water proof for caving it.

Never caved though but db seems keen on it.

stoves can be a b...h if they dont work and you have to rely on them.

In Japan that usally isnt much of a problem but imagine being out in a spot where that stove is your only source for water?

I now do a black bag thing. I bring 2 black garbage bags and fill them with snow. It melts some of the snow in camp sometimes 2 or 3 cups worth if it is warm enough.

FT, I got a Western Mountaineering bag in the end. Really expensive, but I hope it will last me 10+ years. I was surprised at how light the bag is given its scary volume. Some serious compression action is gonna have to happen with that bag.

I am gonna get stove + pan over the w/e.

Do you have any recommendations for fuel efficiency/weight etc FT?

Probably going to Montbell over the w/e.

The plastic trash bag idea is a very good one.

Was thinking about those long-lasting tiny candles in case of emergency as well. Not sure how muc h20 I wud be able to melt with those those (if anything).

Quattro, I got it shipped from the US, bought online.

There is very often a wait of a few weeks to get a bag from that maker, but I was fortunate enough that they had it in stock.

I am not sure whether yo can get it in Japan.

PM me if you're interested and I'll pass you the site from where I ordered it.

I've used both the whisper lite international and the dragon fly. The dragon fly is noisy as hell, but it's super fast at bringing water to a boil. It also has a nice adjustment knob for controlling flame strength.

my partner and I used to bring both. The whisperlite is definetely simpler, but there are two versions of it. get the international one which runs a wider gas line and offers exchangeable jets for multiple fuels, which the dragon fly also does.

Originally Posted By: SerreChe
FT, I got a Western Mountaineering bag in the end. Really expensive, but I hope it will last me 10+ years. I was surprised at how light the bag is given its scary volume. Some serious compression action is gonna have to happen with that bag.

I am gonna get stove + pan over the w/e.
Do you have any recommendations for fuel efficiency/weight etc FT?
Probably going to Montbell over the w/e.
The plastic trash bag idea is a very good one.
Was thinking about those long-lasting tiny candles in case of emergency as well. Not sure how muc h20 I wud be able to melt with those those (if anything).

-- I'm going to the Montbell outlet store in Tarumi, Kobe over the weekend. Most stuff is one or two seasons old.
 Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
I'm going to the Montbell outlet store in Tarumi, Kobe over the weekend. Most stuff is one or two seasons old

Triptaka, lemme know how it is...I havent been there before but love montbell stuff \:\)

CB, I was out there two weeks ago. The MB shop in particular looked awesome but I didn't spend much time in there cause my nephew's football boots and gear were the priority.

If there's anything you're after, let me know and I'll check it out.
 Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
was just curious how much better the prices are compared with retail outlet \:\) Love their fleeces, down jackets, bags, gear, et...quality store IMO.

Checked out their bags briefly. Most were about 15-20% cheaper than retail.

Samurai, FT, cheers for the feedback on the stoves.

Tsonda, I'am gonna go probably to the outlet close to yoyogi park.

Probably fairly close to where you live.

I am so bummed they closed the Ebisu outlet, used to waste a lot of time there.

They are a quality brand. Quite well known in the US as well where they sell as MontBell North America. Theri bags are quite popular as very light.

Serre

I'll also put a vote in for MSR. Had on old xgk had to be at least 25 years old before replacing it with a new wisperlite. the xgk was a really great winter stove. downside was no adjustment on the flame and it sounded like a jet on afterburners. upside wold burn damn near any type of fuel you could feed it, helps if you travel a lot.

Sorry Tsonda, not an outlet with last year's stuff but the big shop between yoyogi and shibuya.

Quattro, I got it at backcountrygear. Bent gate is pretty good in terms of selection as well, not sure if they had WM bags though. Thanks for the feedback on the stove as well. MSR it will be!