For the usual peeps who do Tats and other spots.

What rating sleeping bag do you use?

I know some people use lighter bags and wear more clothes inside while others use heavier bags with wearing less clothes and let the body heat do the rest.

What's your opinion?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not doing Tats but Mitsumata parking lot, if that’s good enough. \:\)

I ve slept with no problem till -8 deg with a montbell down SB # 1. They recommend it for a temp range -9~-21 deg, till -9 to sleep comfortably and not freeze till -21 deg.

ps: Their down series is supposed to be the lightweight one for outdoors.

i've got the Montbell Ultra Light Down Hugger Super Stretch #2, suggested temp. range 15C to -15C, comfort zone down of -4.

http://webshop.montbell.jp/goods/disp.php?product_id=1121726

but i've never been cold in it.

and it packs down tiny for how warm it is.

i'm a regular clothes (long underwear, ski/board pants, base layer) sleeper. bags are rated as if you're sleeping in your underwear.

if u don't wanna spend a lot, u can also buy fleece or silk liner for in combination with a down jacket and hot water water in a bottle inside ur bag or sleeping between two others with down sleeping bags.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sea-Summit-Sleep...5642446-1727846

Montbell is quite popular, which makes sense given that it is made in Japan, good quality and light for bags.

Too bad they have closed the Ebisu shop.

Dizzy, what is the coldest conditions you have used your bag in?

"sleeping between two others with down sleeping bags.", laugh.gif, clever.

Where exactly do you guys sleep then? Is it in your cars in the car parks in front of the gondola/ lift or a car park at the access point to some BC? Cos I figure, if its the 1st, why not just book a night in a hotel/ backpackers etc? Its only 4000 yen and a hell of a lot warmer.

Mind you if its the 2nd, well good on youse!! \:D

Originally Posted By: SerreChe
Who was the worst snorer of the 3? :-)

haha, you mean who was the worst farter? safety. i started off in one tent, the boys in another... after the first night (of me being cold and the boys being wet) we opted for an EBC sandwich. it was fun.

i had a north face bag, maybe graded -12 or -15 i think, borrowed from a mate on that GW trip with AK and dizz. now i own a mountain hardwear phantom 0 (-18). it's super expensive, but super light and i've never ever been cold in it. going to make use of it this weekend, in the freezing lake district.

blush.gif I would not dare asking who was the worst farter. That stays on tour...

For some reason recently I have read some peeps who were not so happy with NF gear and thought the workmanship and quality has gone south over the years. Not sure whether true or not.

MH has a very good rep. Their bags are supposed to be awsome. I bought a tent from them, have not used it yet. Looks promising although I hate being a giant advertising sign post with their huge logo.

Enjoy your next trip EBC.

Yeh I would probably agree with that, North Face isn't the best stuff out there - I think they charge a lot of money and don't make stuff as good as they should for that $$$$. I don't think i'd buy a North Face bag, after trying and testing one.... doesn't really compare to the Mountain Hardwear one, which although expensive, I would fully reccommend as a kick ass super light winter bag. Yep, looking forward to the weekend, hope it doesn't rain. Good luck finding a nice bag. The Montbell Downhugger is also really good.

I have a 7 year old marmot col. (-20f) I still love it.

if you're considering Mountain Hardwear, who do make rad bags, their direct counterpart/competition is Marmot. They're basically the same bags as they use all the same materials.

Your shell can be important. ultralight shells are nice, they're light. But wind-proof/water-resistant shells are the shiz... they also retain heat better.

(bias- I never count ounces for my living quarters. Saving a few ounces in weight is not worth losing sleep over... literally)

(thanks for the reminder of what my wife will be getting for christmas...)

haha, that all depends how shit you are at lugging gear around mountains... the super light thing was an important factor for me, and i was stoked when i hiked out of tateyama this year with all my gear in good time. the year before that i had heavier stuff, and made AK carry my stuff haha. no need to do that anymore. sorry AK, i know you love it. ;\)

Originally Posted By: samurai

(bias- I never count ounces for my living quarters. Saving a few ounces in weight is not worth losing sleep over... literally)

(thanks for the reminder of what my wife will be getting for christmas...)

Amen Samurai, I agree so much with that statement, having experienced it. The one piece of eqpt I would not want to be be sh*t is the sleeping bag for sure. No worries about the prezzie reminder, good luck getting a nice one. If you have some cash, you may want to check Western Mountaineering as well as Featherly Friends.

Agree, Marmot has excellent rep and reasonably priced.

Eskimo, sounds like AK has been quite nice to you. Sounds like he is good to have around. AK, u doing Tats this year ? wink.gif

ultra light is great... if everying you carry is ultra light. if your pack, tent, stove, sleeping pad, clothes, food, yada yada is packed with an attempt to be light. Then, you'll notice a difference in weight.

If you haven't planned all of your gear to be ultralight... there is little purpose in saving half a pound for your sleeping bag, imo.

And... after lugging 20-30 pounds of gear around for a winter ski camping outing, I see little benefit in carrying ultralight sleeping gear which would result in ultra light sleeping.

I'm telling ya, wind-proof/water-resistant shells are the shiz. That cost in weight may reach 12 ounces. (less than a pound/less than half a kilo)

think about it.

thanks uhhh well i'll think about it in a few years when this one is done (bought it last winter). and yep the rest of my gear is ultra light thanks. and it all helps. i'm a chick, you are probably stronger than me, a bit of extra weight would make a difference to me, i know this from experience. my bag is super super warm thanks, graded -18C, 800 fill down, it certainly ain't skimpy, it's awesome. certainly doesn't feel like 'ultra light sleeping' to me. it's exactly perfect for my purpose and that's why i chose it. i'm not bivying, but if i wanted something waterproof i'd take a cover for it.