I was just reading through the what to wear thread and someone mentioned don't wear cotton. Good advice. What else?? Fabrics, Sizes (big better than tight or vise versa), etc.

Thanks

OH,, and what do you wear on super windy cold days on your face that doesn't make your lenses fog up??

Quote:
OH,, and what do you wear on super windy cold days on your face that doesn't make your lenses fog up??
a nice bushy danz beard cool.gif

your base-layer should be nice and close to your skin...pretend you are going to a trance party in germany.....

loose in general will probably keep you cold...

danz

I am a little behind schedule with my "natural" face mask...but rest assured, it is coming in nicely, red hues and all...should be acceptable by the time I rock up to niseko...

danz

What barok says is right. I've never needed a fleece layer. Two thin long sleeved T-shirts (not cotton) and a lightly padded jacket, often undone, is always enough, even if the wind is stingingly cold.

I hear that Hokkaido is colder and you need to dress warmer, but Nagano just ain't that cold when you're on the move.

ah, i think -10 degrees qualifies as cold, worthy of the all-powerful fleece (not cotton...did somebody say this already?). I'll be sporting my synthetic t-shirt under a fleece under a bright huntersaftey orange down jacket with a red, green, and white wool hat with a puffball on top. see ya in niseko in a few! eek.gif

i guess it depends on how much u feel the cold.

i have never worn more than 3 tshirts underneath my jacket.

usu with a long sleeve wicking layer undermost when its cold, but regular tshirts over the top. but other occassions just a couple of tshirts.

i have plenty of polyester which i use for trekking, but most of the time, its just not necessary to layer up all technical style to stay comfortable. i too have never worn a fllece, and have never been uncomfortable.

if u head BC then its a necessity to do things right, but inbounds, in most conditions i've experienced, almost anything is ok.

I kind of have those ventilation flaps.

If you call a zipper running straight from the front of the bib all the way under (between the legs)and back up the other side.

I should get the matching Fleece pants with through the crotch zipper so I can squat extra easy.

That would get a scare skiing around like that lol.gif

I'm going to grow a beard again this year for Niseko. It was a nice addition last time. I also have a neck warmer fleecey thing that I use when it's really cold and windy that I pull up over my mouth if needs be. That is usually only on the lift though.

The new pants I am getting have ventilation zippers and I'm looking forward to that. I also wear thermals sometimes. On top usually just thermals a t-shirt and a jacket does the job. Maybe an extra layer somewhere if I feel the need.

90% of the time I am too hot. I can pretty much get away with only thermal (uniqlo 1500yen specials) top and bottom and then my shell layer over that.

Uniqlo sell these usefull sleeveless fleece vests. They are pretty good to keep the body warm yet ones arms are less bulky. Uniqlo has all your thermal needs.

Anything one piece always has and always will be a no-no. What's up with the late beards? Year round baby!!! I haven't shaved mine since um...I forget. Got close this summer here. It's so damn hot!!! Love the cold though. Resorts-usually hawaiian shirt, polypro under, rainbow shell parachute pants, and some gloves. Maybe a hat if it's nipply.

Oh yeah, backcountry-short sleeve polypro, longsleeve pp over that, maybe windbreaker or vest if it's really cold. Full zip pants, light hat. Also bring midweight fleece, full light down puffy jacket for emergency bivy and nights, fleece pants, extra socks even for day trips. Thick fleece or wool hat (I love wool!) extra mittens, lots of sunscreen, skin cream, and my kneepads-all it takes is one shot and I'm not coming back!