07/08 SITE UPDATES - SNOWJAPAN.TV - Japan ski & snowboard video site

• SnowJapan Admin

SNOWJAPAN.TV:

http://www.snowjapan.tv

This season we wanted to do something with videos and we eventually decided to create a new site just for videos called snowjapan.tv .

This is a very new and exciting project for us. We are confident that the site will be fine from the beginning, but it is new and quite complex and so especially at the beginning there might be some issues that we need to deal with. Please bear with us as this part of the site grows.

Any videos that you upload to the site will remain yours and you can delete them at any time. The only initial guidelines we have are that the videos be relevant to the theme of "SnowJapan" and also no advertising videos please.

You can also embed the videos into the threads on these forums. On each video on the site on the right hand side you will see the code needed to embed them into the forums. The code to use is basically [snowjapantv] videocode [/snowjapantv]

Here is a sample:

[All videos that were previously on the videos section of SnowJapan have been uploaded to this site under the name "SnowJapanTV". If you are the owner of one of those videos and wish for us to delete it, please contact us].

Hope to see lots of new video clips online this season:

News on other updates can be found here:

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/240797#Post240797

• SnowJapan Admin

We have a totally separate server for snowjapan.tv - on a totally different network connection - and so there is no connection between the two.

So there are absolutely no bandwidth or security issues between the main SnowJapan site, the Forums and the video site.

We shall see about bandwidth - of course how much bandwidth the site eats up is going to depend on how many people use the site and how many videos go up there. Some unknowns for us as well right now, but we're going to do what we can to adjust and grow as necessary.

We have also tripled our bandwidth for the main sj/forums site, so we think we are ready for the season.

\:\)

If you're not logged in just a few minutes a day.

If you sign up and login you get unlimited access. So if you are going to use the site we'd be happy if people do that.

These things are subject to change as we assess how bandwidth issues etc go over the coming days and weeks.

Thanks.

• SnowJapan Admin

Over the next few days the tv site may be unavailable for short periods as we make some necessary changes to our server setup and deal with some network issues.

Sorry for the disruption - hopefully it will not be for long and things will be back to normal speed soon. Thanks.

• SnowJapan Admin

The snowjapan.tv site is only a few weeks old but we have had a fair few behind-the-scenes issues to deal with since it first went online! But the good news is that - fingers crossed - the site is now perched on a brand new, nice server with a good connection to the intertubes and should hopefully now be settled and ready for the season. We are hoping that things from now on will go smoothly, but if you do find any issues with the site please do let us know at editor@snowjapan.com and we will look into them.

If you are not logged in, you can view videos for a short time each day. If you are signed up and logged in you have unlimited access to all of the videos. Please do sign up if you intend to either upload videos or view videos this winter. It's a really simple process and totally free - you can do it from this page:

http://www.snowjapan.tv/signup.php

Please note that you cannot login using your Forums username and password - you will need to register over at the .tv site.

Thank you

• SnowJapan Moderator

You can now view the videos on snowjapan.tv in full screen. Just click on the icon in the bottom right of the video on the site to change the full screen mode. (Clicking on Esc will go back to normal size).

• SnowJapan Admin

When a video from snowjapan.tv is now embedded on these forums, the first frame of the video now appears on the initial paused screen (rather than the black screen that appeared previously). As well as looking better, this will give you an idea of what the video is about before clicking on Play.

Example:

• 2 months later...
 Originally Posted By: SJForums
you cannot login using your Forums username and password - you will need to register over at the .tv site.

Yea, this is the first thing I tried, after attempting to share the link to a good video (in this site) with some friends in other circles, and stumbling upon the "sorry, you are over your quota today" or some such whilst testing it myself.

Strange.

I am having a lot of trouble viewing SJ.tv site, it buffers every 5 secs for about 10 secs which makes it unwatchable. I on the fat pipe (hikari) so there is nohing wrong with my connection, anyone else having troubles???

Originally Posted By: SG
I am having a lot of trouble viewing SJ.tv site, it buffers every 5 secs for about 10 secs which makes it unwatchable. I on the fat pipe (hikari) so there is nohing wrong with my connection, anyone else having troubles???

SG, I have ALWAYS had this. Thought it was the norm. But I leave it going then replay it.