Renting snowboard in Japan (hakuba) question.

Hi,

First of i'd like to say hi, to everyone in the forums, been a long term reader but only just signed up. Would like to say that SJ has been doing a great job, and is a great resource and i hope they keep it up.

Anyway im going to Hakuba in Jan with a freind, and he dosent have his own gear so does anyone know approximatly how much 16 day snowboard gear hire would be approx in yen.

thanks for your time!

Tim

I think i might suggest that to him, he went to NZ this year and did some snowboarding in Aust so personal opinion purchasing his own gear would pay for itself pretty quick but its his money \:\)

thanks for your help!

Greets Timmy.

Ebay mate, since the melbs season is over, or speak to rental shops in melbs. Your mate may get a good deal, cos only ppl they can rent to is Japan, or US travellers =)

Going to hakuba?, awesome, I think you'll love it. I have been on this board for a few months now and met a heap of awesome ppl. I am going in Feb & staying @ Fattwins, and EVERYONE I have spoken to from hakuba is so friendly.

Good luck with the search!

Yeah i'll be over 18th jan - 4th feb so im hoping to make that hakuba party and meet some SJFmers. First time to Japan, in fact first time to snow overseas and from everything I've read its going to be awesome.

Because the Australian doller is high I put together a nice package

for him from online specials, atm it includes.

2007 rossignol sultan 163wide $109usd

2007 salomon spx L bindings $100usd

2007 salomon dialogue boots $110usd

and approx $150usd postage total $470usd or 509.627 AUD

which in my books is a pretty sweet deal.

anyway hope to see you all over there!

and thanks for all your help,

Tim

Hi Tim

I'm about the same size as your friend. I've ridden a 164cm wide-ish board in Hakuba snow & it was a lot of fun in the powder. (I've also tried a 160cm twin-tip in the japan powder .... much more work, less fun)

Cheers

from another Tim

Another Tim here, who is also first time Hakuba/Japan visitor is roughly the same height 183cm 77kg. I have no idea what to look for regarding snow gear but i think i'll make this a yearly hobby so would it be wise to buy gear in Japan rather than here Australia?

Only problem is i don't know what's suppose to feel right. And am i getting this straight, if i bought a board in Japan it might not go so well here in Oz??? And Timmeh, where did you find that package?

What's this about rental to only US/Jap travellers. Are you saying they won't hire out gear to aussies?

Buying in Japan will probably be cheaper than shops in Aust, genrally if you bought an all mountain board its going to be fine for aust/japan, just for powder people genrally want a longer board for more float on the soft surface, although that setup I had posted above would be fine for my freind in both aust and japan, he waited to long though and now the boards sold out, it was from http://www.sierrasnowboard.com/ but they dont ship to Aust so you would have to use a 3rd party to ship like a freind or service like this http://www.shopanyamericanstore.com.

Remember most important part of your setup is your boots, if you have bad boots your going to have a crap time, also depending on your boot size you might need a wide board, this helps prevent toe/heel drag which is bad, do you know your current snowboard boot size?

About the rental Domokun was saying seeing the aussie seasons over, aussie renters only buissness now is to people going overseas hence you can probably talk a good deal because they dont have much buisness at the moment.

Also you had said you dont know whats supposed to feel right, i'm not sure about in Japan but in Australia during the ski season many stores allow you to try there demo model at rental cost, and if you like the setup they usually sell you the gear, minus the original rental cost, although you'll probably end up paying premium.

if you have anymore questions feel free to ask!

Ah right, but i guess renting from Australia will only benefit for longer stays and if that's the case you might as well buy. How do you go about bringing your snowboard gear over and back? Can you put it along with your boarding luggage? But then all other gear would weigh too much and would probably be impractical.

are you flying jetstar? you get 20kg in baggage, and 7kg onboard luggage, and you can buy additional kg's if you want for a decentish rate. Personally I plan to pack all my clothes etc into my snowboard bag, by itself my boots, bindings, board and bag as well as some tools like scrapers, wax, ptex etc come to about 10kg~.

Originally Posted By: Movendi

Only problem is i don't know what's suppose to feel right. And am i getting this straight, if i bought a board in Japan it might not go so well here in Oz???

A snowboard is a snowboard dude. They are just talking about powder boards. I recommend you get an allround board. Just get one that comes up to your chin and is wide enough at the waist for your feet. I wear 10.5 boots and the narrowest waist I can go is 25

Hi Movendi

"183cm 77kg" - yeah, you won't need a long board. As Kumapix suggested, an "all-mountain" board is what you should try.

With the exchange rate looking so good, buying in Japan would probably work out cheaper, although I personally buy my boards/bindings from websites in the states, but I buy all my clothes & boots here in Sydney.