Hope so! Went hiking up at Kagura today in search of good lines, but to no avail. Even the sheltered north slopes were really heavy, felt like my skins were still attached when trying to ride down..

Orinoco, a split board is a snowboard which you split in half and use as skis to skin up the mountain, then put back together to board back down the said mountain. More efficient than using snow shoes, but not sure how sturdy the whole set-up is, especially when you reach back on the groomed slopes.

Montoya, what do you think about your split board so far? Is it sturdy enough when you reach back the groomed slopes, or does it make some freaky creaky noises?

nah, the board doen't make any funny noises so far. It actually rides better than my regular board. It uses the Voile system, and is working out fine so far.

main disadvantage is the added weight, but you get used to it.

next year will get another one, probably a long split-swallowtail for the big pow days.

Interesting. Been wondering whether I should go for skis + skins, or split board. I ski and snowboard but prefer by far the riding sensations of a snowboard in powder.

I think voile has an enormous 195cm swallowtail, not sure if it is a split though.

SerreChe,

This season we have been riding with AT skiers, telemarkers, and snowboarders on snowshoes. Transition time is alittle bit longer, but not that much. When it comes to breaking trail, we more than hold our own (the fat 12cm skins really help). Ride down is pretty sweet, although I think next year we will get even bigger boards (when we ordered our current boards, I was a bit brain-dead and forgot to factor in the added weight of all the BC stuff in our packs).

Next time you're in Kagura let me know. If we can hook up I'll let you ride my board for a few runs if you want.

This is a pretty good place to learn more:

http://www.splitboard.net/

Montoya,

Thx for the offer of trying your board. I am tempted but afraid that your board might not be able to torsionally put up with my 100 kgs... \:o

Still happy to catch-up with you for some lines in Kagura, although I would not venture too far off the slopes since I have no snowshoes (slowly investing slowly every year)and may end-up spoiling your day (unless you know some short climbs). Otherwise I have a pack with the usual trilogy (beacon, shovel, probe).

I will have a lot of free-time coming up this month and can easily ride mid-week (trying to avoid week-ends if possible). I am based in Tokyo and usually go to Kagura by car. So let me know when you plan to hit the slopes to see if we can get organized.

Otherwise trying to decide whether should go to France for a couple weeks back home to hit Serre Chevalier and La Grave, but not much snow there at the moment... At least Japan's got the goods at the moment.

If you can make it up here, I have an extra pair of MSR Denali Evo Ascent snowshoes I can lend you (but, no flotation tails). Just PM me beforehand. I have a room up in Yuzawa so am based here for the most part this season.

100kgs, hmm that would probably be a bit much for my board!

lol.gif I agree BOC, let's diet!

Fortunately I am 190cm, so the luv handles not hitting my knees yet. By the way was riding with a friend at Cortina a couple of w/e ago: 200cm & 127 kgs and in good shape. He was shredding the powder real good too!

Toque, looks like u guys had a great week-end, I envy you! I know you are in good hands with FT, but be careful on these Happo open faces, so easy to slide.

Planning to catch-up with Montoya tomorrow for some off-pist riding in Kagura. Really looking forward to that! Will report and hopefully it will your turn for you guys to be envious! ;\)

Good stuff Fattwins, I know you are always extra careful.

A few weeks ago at Happo, I saw some ski tracks on one of the further inside the valley open face on the other side of H47. I could see that before wanting to drop into one of the gullies somebody had cut accross the top of the ridge, and a massive slab had come off just below the ski tracks. The guy must have shat himself, but looks like he did not get caught...

Ok let me try.

As you get off the top lift at Happo, instead of going down the left side of the mountain (when looking uphill) right away (off piste) on the side which is facing H47, you hike up the ridge and go down the same left side furhter up towards the end of valley. I could see from the lift (visible for a few seconds) that a large slab had broken off.

Is it clearer ?

yeah ok.

from there you can take 2 runs. the one that slid or the ridge. Japanese guides in the area dont figure that the ridge is hard enough so they head into the bowls. that area always goes almost after every storm. Maybe not always where you saw but a bit further down. that run pretty much ends at 47 so you need a car there or a pick up.

I am surprised these guides head down there if they know that the slope unloads so often. Oh well... That far up the valley must quite a bit of a trek to get back to 47, not to mention not sure where they can cross the river.

Have you done any of these runs FT?

not that one but stuff on the other side of the valley over at 47. the snow holds better over there. wanted to do the ridge this year but havent had the chance yet. as for the hike out the river crossing....you can get wet