"New Beginning" (Divorce Fair)

Check this out:

Quote:
Austria is to host the world's first "divorce fair" this month, aimed at helping couples untie the knot as painlessly as possible.

The event, taking place in Vienna, then Linz and Graz, will allow would-be divorcees to consult lawyers about their rights and seek advice.

The divorce rate in Austria hit an all time high of 50% in 2006, with 66% of marriages in Vienna ending in divorce.

The two-day fair is being held under the motto "New beginning".

Anyone remember what the rate is for Japan?

Originally Posted By: Domokun_72dpi
Wow.

What a sad world we are coming to, when they create stuff like this.

Sad? All those people with unhappy marriages now have a chance of moving on and having a better life!
 Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
If I remember correctly, a bill was just passed which entitles the woman to half of what her husband has....I'd imagine the rate will increase in the upcoming years/decade regardless of whatever it is.

Come off it. It is 70%, if you have a good lawyer. 50% would be a huge improvement in men's rights.

You misread my intention fjef, what i mean is that we now live in a society of

Divorce rates higher than Marriage Success rates

Having a McDonalds in Every Town, in Every country

Where violence to others is commonplace & accepted in some groups

Where someone elses property is not off limits

etc etc etc.

I was commenting on the demise of positive social integrity.

is that an expression?, well you get what I mean.

Well, I guess, lookign at the flipside, yeah, that is brilliant that it helps those in this real worrld situation, move on and get help, and find love again, so, I guess you can look at the bright side. good point mate...

I am absolutely for choice. If move on needs to be done, then do it. But a freak show convention is just that, a freak show.

Have the balls to do it yourself as that is what it takes to pick up you life again.

Originally Posted By: Indo
 Originally Posted By: spacefrog
Moral of the story is don`t be dumb so don`t get married.

So all the married people out there are dumb?
Drrrr.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
don`t get the logic, in fact the conclusion you draw is illogical.

point is marriage is not necessary to prove love , loyalty to someone, nor to have a great long lasting relationship. However marriage is a long lasting contract that disadvantages one party in the contract by default.

Spacey, each to their own though these days the outcome wether married or not is the same..

Defacto relationships after 6 months have almost the same entitlements to their partners assets as they would is they were married.

In Australia it is.

Terrible isn't it?

Know a person who had to cough up HALF their share portfolio and the girl in question didn't even contribute to it though because they had lived together for a few years she got a cut wakaranai.gif

What's the world coming to? I'll be forcing my boys into pre nupt style contracts to protect my money in the future.

I got married cos we decided we wanted a baby. Otherwise would have been quite happy going on as we were. I don't know the law in Japan but I though it would be easier citizenship- and paperwork-wise if we were married. I'm not religious and don't hold any value to it. I committed to me Tarzan long before we signed a few bits of paper.

I know in the UK there are some medical consent issues where the mother has to sign consent forms if the parents are unmarried. I don't know the details but my sister had trouble wuth it(she was away on business and the hospital wouldn't treat their daughter when their dad took her to hospital). She has been living with her boyfriend in a house they jointly own for the last 15 years. They have 3 kids.

Just to add a bit more doom and gloom, anyone here with kids should make sure they apply for permenant residency just in case they do end up getting divorced. Not that I have applied but I keep telling myself I will...

Originally Posted By: Indo
What's the world coming to? I'll be forcing my boys into pre nupt style contracts to protect my money in the future.

I know, that's hell scary. If a girl marries one of your boys, she can end up getting inheritance from you after they break up wakaranai.gif

Well, if I break up, she can have the house and the money, but if she tries to take my Star Wars collection, look out beartch!
oh, and dog. if I had a dog she won't get it clap.gif

to me a prenup seems very unnromantic and the antithesis of marriage. however, i'm in the boat where my fiancee and i have similar financial backgrounds (ie we have jack all), so i imagine it might be different if one person is wealthy and the other less so. but i would have thought that making the decision to marry someone shows you want to share everything with them and be together forever. a prenup seems to jeopardise the success of a marriage before it even begins

marriage formalises a loving relationship and the desire to commit to another. i think it's a wonderful step to make, and shows a great leap of faith. it is based on love and trust of another person - it's not a buiness contract for f#cks sake. those of you who are anti-marriage may have been badly burnt in the past, or perhaps you are just scared about being hurt. in my mind (and hey, this is just my opinion) an inability to commit to a relationship highlights some serious shortcomings in yourself

I agree with spook re. the cynics.

I add that a big thing in making a relationship work is having realistic expectations of your partner. they cannot be all things to you. Looking back on my previous relationships and those of friends I can see that that was the key to the breakdowns. I have a great relationship now and it is because I *accept* my partner, and take the bad with the good.

Also, of course it helps not to marry someone on the spur of the moment.

Well put spook. very nice.

I gotta admit, I was engaged once, and that broke my heart. So I had my heart replaced with a lump of coal, now I can't get upset. it's awesome. I am happily married to a great bloke, I mean chick. lol.gif

Your missus is lucky to have a bloke with an attitude like yours.

Welcome to the Successful 50% wave.gif

yeah, i don't mean to sound harsh in that post before, and i know people get their hearts broken (and their wallets ravaged) all the time

i'm just wary of perennial playboys (and girls). it seems like a lonely life to me

It is a non romantic thing to have to do but wealthy families have been doing it since the dawn of time (pre nups).

Parents are becoming more protective of their "gifts" to their kids such as deposits for homes etc. If a contract is made drawn up it can be set up as a loan and that way in case of divorce the parent in entitled to their full sum back and they can do the same again after the settlement if they wish. One has to be smart with it these days.

Even trusts aren't fully safe and that's a worry which I am researching now.

Originally Posted By: spook
marriage formalises a loving relationship and the desire to commit to another.

Why does it have to be formalised? If you trust each other to remain committed what difference does the paper make (other than for legal issues).
I think that having a child together is a much greater "leap of faith" than a marriage. You can end a marriage anytime you like.

I don't mean everyone should have children, I just mean that I think it is a bigger commitment to a relationship than signing a bit of paper promising to spend the rest of your life with someone.

Even things like joint property or family business ventures seem to me seem like bigger commitments than the actual marriage as there must the trust that one party won't try to rip off the other, regardless of what happens to the relationship.

true true. i guess i just see it as taking the next step in a relationship. everyone will view it differently. i'm sure you can be in a deeply caring, loving relationship without formalising your commitment by signing a piece of paper. but as a whole society recognises marriage as a significant commitment.

personally i find it odd that people talk about love and money in the same breath. i know love and money are often intertwined but to me marriage is about love and committment, not about money. to try and compare marriage to a business venture seems alien to me. but i probably have this POV because i don't have any money lol.gif

i'm young, i'm naive and i'm happy. i can also understand other people's POV (say, soubs), but for me this doesn't apply at this point in time