Hi I live in Perth and there doesn't appear to be (to my knowledge) much of a range of snow apparel I can purchase here. Not suprising though since it doesn't snow here!

I am wondering if you good people could recommend me on some good reputable online stores that can help me out.

In particular I would like to get hold of a good gore-tex outer jacket.

While boarding I'm going for the thermal, then the fleecy jumper and then the outer jacket. The one I had last year used to get all wet on the inside and not very breathable and it also wasn't very strong.

I enjoy going off piste through tree runs so I'm keen on something very breathable but warm and robust at the same time. I'm told Gore-tex is good.

Any help pointers on the above would be great. I'm going to Rusutsu and Niseko from 4th Jan - 26Jan 08

Dude, Greets from Perth =)and welcome to the Forums!

U are right, there is NOTHING here to buy.

I imported all my gear from the US (cept a jacket).

U can try backcountryoutlet.com or try a few Shops in melbourne, as they are having run-out sales (I just bought a Bag).

Anyhows, have fuin & post up, the ppl here are awesome...

BTW, Spook in another perthite if U see him online, and Soubs used to live here too...'

Cya!

If you're really stuck, there's a big ski equipment store with loadsa jackets and stuff smack in the middle of Niseko. It's owned, run and patronized by Aussies. I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for there.

That would be crap THursday, the clothes would be made outta wool, have beer stains and all smell like Chiko Rolls =)

Mind u, the "Free meat Pie with Every jacket purchased" is a pretty big draw card lol.gif

Sorry, i'll let this thread get back to normal...

Originally Posted By: Domokun_72dpi

BTW, Spook in another perthite if U see him online, and Soubs used to live here too...'

And Bushpig too.

It might be worth shopping here, Japan isn't as expensive as many people believe.

I think the high Perth quota might have something to do with the time and cost involved in getting to unreliable snow in the east. Japan's not much further, and the conditions are incomparable.

Nibbler!

aaah, sorry, missed out BP. Very true Soubs, I am now noting that Japan prices are actually pretty decent.

i should have bought My board when i arrive instead of Ebay in melbourne.

Another consideration, the Aussie dollar is so strong @ the moment, that you can buy dollar for Dollar from the United States, even with shipping costs, it is a bargain (i am fully set for under 700AUD), thats Boots Board, clothing, goggles etc etc, half from the US).

You should email a few shops in Japan, Nino, as Soubs and Thursday suggest. Hopefully someone has a number for the Aussi guys in Niseko....

If you want goretex, find a non-insulated one and layer yourself. It's dryer and more versatile.

If you just want a goretex shell, check out cabelas.com, a U.S. hunting outfitter that has nice/simple shells for cheap.

If you want a specific brand, untracked.com, backcountryoutlet.com, can be good.

sometimes there are nice sales at sonomaoutfitters.com on high end mountaineering gear.

Wow thanks guys for all the responses!

I'm just finishing up work now so I'll check out all those sites once I get home.

Definately looking at the uninsulated shell option especially for versatility and layering works for me!

realistically i always thought the shell was the way to go and layer up, but when we last went to japan i bought a down jacket and that was the ducks nuts! a t-shirt underneath at minus 15 was all i needed and it was awesome...great for your movement, and not overly hot..plus with good venting you can dump the heat on the lifts

Just a comment on Gore-tex, get the "3-layer" (sometimes advertised as "3L") - it's more durable than the "2-layer". You'll end up shelling out $100-150 more, but it's way worth it. Gore is the bee's knees.

On gnarly days I use my down as a layer under my shell. On dry days, I often ride with just my down. I love it.

but just having a down jacket as your primary riding jacket really limits your options.

I'm currently looking for a below-the-bum, water-proof, secured-hood down jacket if anyone has any suggestions. It doesn't have to be completely waterproof, but it does have to be at least 10,000.

secured hood, none of this removable stuff. (for the cool factor.)

I'm a down man too. Nothing beats the puffy for warmth. I love having to release heat at the bottom of a run, instead of having to ride to warm up. It makes getting caught on the lift in a blizzard no problem.

Also, with the down, you don't need to spend a fortune on the goretex 3l shell, the expensive microfleece and 1st layer. Just a tshirt and you're good to go.

shell plus layers is for bc days though.

Guys I kinda like the Burton AK Gore 3L Jacket as it's stated to have a removable hood but there's more options if I go for the fixed hood.

But a question - I wear a helmet since when I go off into the trees I invariably smack my head into them.

How do you guys go with a wearing a jacket with a non-removable hood and a helmet? Do you wear the helmet over the hood or do you tuck it into the collar or just let it hang down the back?

Not sure this is relevant because I ski, and don't wear a helmet, but that won't stop me \:\) My jacket has a lined hood which folds into the collar. When it is stowed the stuffed collar is very snug and warm, and I look really cool. And, the hood is always there if I get cold, or the weather changes.

I wouldn't consider buying a jacket without this feature.

this is my jacket. I'd like to recommend it to you:

P10_KILLY_Tatoo_1.jpg

Top of the line Smart System Technology Parka from Killy.

Features include:

20,000mm Waterproof/Breathable.

Adjustable Storm Hood

Detachable Stretch Balaclava

Sunglass/Goggle Cleaning Cloth

Air Cool Venting

Stretch Panelling

Stretch inner cuff with thumbhole

Accusol heat reflective lining

Adjustable snow skirt

Active cut+styling

Laser cut/bonded welded seams

Two part gaiter system

Critical seam sealing

Recco System

It looks really cool but keeps you warm. It should do, it's a ski jacket. The best feature is the Recco System tag sewn in. Easy to find your body after a slide.

What do you guys think of this?

Burton AK 3L Hover Jacket - Men's

http://www.dogfunk.com/dogfunk/BUR1700/Burton-AK-3L-Hover-Jacket-Mens.html?id=AS2ipdTh

Burton AK Gore 2L

http://www.dogfunk.com/dogfunk/BUR0934/Burton-AK-Gore-2L-Vent-Pant-Mens.html?id=AS2ipdTh

Do you guys know how well this jacket might put up with hard use? Snowboarding on piste and tree runs. Not likely to tear?

jeez.

That jacket costs more than my whole setup mate =)

Wanna sell some "hand me downs" ? =)

Celery sucks, the poo brown one looks yummy.

Pants are sweet, what's the rating on them tho?

Do what I did, I photoshopped all my gear together, inc my board etc, that way, I could look @ the dork factor vs functionality factor.

One problem tho, DOn't think they will deliver Burton to Australia.