• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FRIDAY 23 NOVEMBER 2007

25cm in the past 24hrs on my steps at village level (300m).

Opening Day

Got to the lifts at 7:35 to find that the ticket window wasn't opening up until 8:20.

So my chances of first chair were shot down early.

Saw who I thought was StuntCok from the TGR forums at the ticket window and asked him if he had 'change for a nickel'. He did. Made a change from wearing a white carnation under the clock tower at the train station and introducing myself with "lovely weather we're having for this time of the year'.

We proceeded to ski together for the day and what a day.

I was cursing initially when I saw that the lower mountain (read ALL terrain below the top of the Ace #2 quad was closed). Having skied it all week, I can only think that they were trying to save some pow for Saturday's visitors.

Skied innumerable laps on the Ace # 3 double chair in the am getting closer and closer to the lift line with every run. We bushwhacked through some tight sasa grass and what looked like alder and had the first couple of laps to ourselves.

Knee deep and light, with lots of face shots.

After lunch I was ready to call it quits after two laps on Ace# 3, when StuntCok and I decided to see what the snow was like between 'Center' and 'Rinkan'.

Although there was plenty of sasa sticking up, the snow and coverage was excellent. It spat us out on to the groomed lower section of 'Rinkan' from where we skied past King Bell Hut, and down 'Tachi' before dropping into 'Konayuki' (powder snow).

I don't think a run has been so aptly named.

Fairly steep, nice and deep, and oh so cheap (it was only Y 2,000 for the day after all). That's less than $10

Five laps and it was closing time.

Skied untracked all day and never ducked a rope.

StuntCok between 'Center' and 'Rinkan'

MikePow_6.jpg

StuntCok between 'Center' and 'Rinkan' part deux

MikePow_7.jpg

StuntCok on 'Konayuki'

MikePow_8.jpg

StuntCok off 'Konayuki', last run of the day

MikePow_9.jpg

Originally Posted By: MikePow
StuntCok off 'Konayuki', last run of the day
MikePow_9.jpg

I've actually been down this one, but not at that speed. StuntCok must've been moving.

At the same place a friend of a friend had to be stretchered off, or snowmobile and stretcher off.

It's an excellent pic with Yotei in the background under cloud. Thanks again Mike.

No-one in Annapuri today, just a couple of kids and their parents so it was nice, easy, cruisy top of the Gondola to the bottom runs for a first day of the season. A nice warm up on fresh powder for a couple of hours. Still snowing here at the moment so good times to be had for the few that got out on the hill.

You working this pm then NS?

If so it must be tough to come off of the hill, the temptation "for just one more run" must be overwhelming!!

I reckon I'd be sacked within a week of the season starting!! lol.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys.

Been slack last week. Well slack on here. Been out nearly every day.

Between opening day (23rd November) and today (3rd December) we've had 82cm of snow (from slush puppies to feathers) at my house.

Lots, lots more up on the mountain \:\)

Each day we're getting more snow. Each day they're opening more terrain. Each day it just keeps getting better and better.

Here are a couple of shots from yesterday.

Troy hitting the trees looker's left (looking down the mountain) of Yotei Sunset, near the Hanazono #3 Chair.

MikePow_11.jpg

MikePow_12.jpg

Once again, Nice Pics clap.gif I really wish i booked for early Jan instead of early Feb, I cant stand waiting here any longer, especially when the conditions are soooo good. Are there many people out there MikePow??

Posted this yesterday

Quote:
If you're in the Niseko area drop everything for tomorrow.

It was mid-thigh and superfly today.

Has alternated between puking and puking hard all day.

Tomorrow will be an EPIC day on the mountain for any time of the season.

And like Hannibal from the A-Team, I love it when a plan comes together.

The turns this morning got progressively deeper as we worked our way round to Hanazono 3 chair.

Then after a hearty Ramen lunch Kath, Shaun and I headed out for dessert.

Played 'around' the King 3 chair for a couple of hours where it went from gut to nip deep. Puking as we skied down at the end of lifts. Tomorrow will be better \:\)

Apologies for the crapness of the pics, but never mind the quality feel the depth.

Kath sporting the powder boa

MikePow_13.jpg

Sean getting 'nip deep'

MikePow_14.jpg

Originally Posted By: MikePow
Posted this yesterday

Quote:
If you're in the Niseko area drop everything for tomorrow.

It was mid-thigh and superfly today.

Has alternated between puking and puking hard all day.

Tomorrow will be an EPIC day on the mountain for any time of the season.

And like Hannibal from the A-Team, I love it when a plan comes together.

The turns this morning got progressively deeper as we worked our way round to Hanazono 3 chair.

Then after a hearty Ramen lunch Kath, Shaun and I headed out for dessert.

Played 'around' the King 3 chair for a couple of hours where it went from gut to nip deep. Puking as we skied down at the end of lifts. Tomorrow will be better \:\)

Apologies for the crapness of the pics, but never mind the quality feel the depth.

Kath sporting the powder boa
MikePow_13.jpg

Shaun getting 'nip deep'
MikePow_14.jpg

holy shit, save some for us will ya.