All shots taken so far are within a couple of hundred metres of the groomed runs, and all lift accessible with no hiking.

After an overnight snowfall pow everywhere on and off the 'groomed'.

Neversummer

Going to make use of the Grand Hirafu Club 8am start in January and if no lesson at 8:30, I'll be out until 10:30 lesson start time.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
What are the slopes like after they have been groomed? Has it knocked a lot of the powder in or is it still nice and fluffy?

Once they've been groomed the only light snow will be what's falling out of the sky.

AND the groomed runs are soft and very forgiving.

A lot of people come here 'edge heavy' because they're used to trying to find an edge on groomers that have used yesterday's snow.

Because we get such regular top ups the groomers have the pleasure of pushing new snow around.

That's why this area is so good for beginners and intermediates and aspiring powder hounds.
 Originally Posted By: Mamabear
 Quote:
note: yes, balls deep is a little up from where most people would expect, but I reckon that would be anatomically correct given the temperature....

LAUGH!
So ... as a woman is it politically correct to describe snow as "ballz deep" when I am out there ....?

I have a couple of suggestions, but none, I suspect, are suitable for polite company..... ;\)
 Originally Posted By: projectsplat
 Quote:
note: yes, balls deep is a little up from where most people would expect, but I reckon that would be anatomically correct given the temperature....

LAUGH!
So ... as a woman is it politically correct to describe snow as "ballz deep" when I am out there ....?

I have a couple of suggestions, but none, I suspect, are suitable for polite company..... ;\)

Crotch deep would cover all possibilities ... Have to wonder at the potential for problems if the description "nip deep" was made by a 2m giant and my +1 (a little over 1.6m) attempted, she'd almost disappear!

That's the reason the measurements are made in a standard like metres, to avoid problems.

All action photos are staged in some way most of the time. I try to fly down fast and then get my camera out to snap shots when people dont know Im doing it. You dont usually get the shot you want though.

I dont like head on shots really as they dont show much. I prefer a side shot that shows something. The shot of stunts air and the light in the background was brilliant.

The snow in the front is breaking off of the 2 tips you have to see that!

Originally Posted By: JA
 Originally Posted By: projectsplat
 Quote:

LAUGH!

Crotch deep would cover all possibilities ... Have to wonder at the potential for problems if the description "nip deep" was made by a 2m giant and my +1 (a little over 1.6m) attempted, she'd almost disappear!

That's the reason the measurements are made in a standard like metres, to avoid problems.

Nah. The metric system is too illogical. It's abstract. How can you ascribe a meaningless number to the incredible sensation of floating through powder?! Also, the units are awkward for measuring snow. Measured in meters, we find ourselves using cumbersome decimals: "The storm system dumped 0.47 meters of snow in total over the course of about 36 hours." Measured in cm, the numbers are just too big. "47"? What is that??? The imperial system is an improvement but still lacking. PS's system is better still. The problem of course is that different people are different sizes so I think we should get the Queen of England to do a few test runs and then standardize things according to her measurements.
 Originally Posted By: Fattwins
I dont like head on shots really as they dont show much. I prefer a side shot that shows something.

Depending on the lightness of the snow, the 'wall of snow' seen in side shots can hide poor technique - upper body rotation for example. Straight on shots make the terrain look flatter than it is but also give a better view of the technique. Not always but a lot of the time. Depends what the purpose of taking the pics is.

Quote:
The shot of stunts air and the light in the background was brilliant.

ta

Quote:
The snow in the front is breaking off of the 2 tips you have to see that!

That's physics isn't it? Was never good at it in school.

Not quite.

Showing the new instructors the mountain.

And helping them to ski pow, which many have done but not this depth \:\)

Video is definitely the best. This was pretty ad hoc as we didn't expect the snow to be this deep.

Originally Posted By: MikePow
Posted this yesterday

Quote:
If you're in the Niseko area drop everything for tomorrow.

It was mid-thigh and superfly today.

Has alternated between puking and puking hard all day.

Tomorrow will be an EPIC day on the mountain for any time of the season.

And like Hannibal from the A-Team, I love it when a plan comes together.

The turns this morning got progressively deeper as we worked our way round to Hanazono 3 chair.

Then after a hearty Ramen lunch Kath, Shaun and I headed out for dessert.

Played 'around' the King 3 chair for a couple of hours where it went from gut to nip deep. Puking as we skied down at the end of lifts. Tomorrow will be better \:\)

Apologies for the crapness of the pics, but never mind the quality feel the depth.

Kath sporting the powder boa
MikePow_13.jpg

Sean getting 'nip deep'
MikePow_14.jpg

can anybody see his snorkel? \:D clap.gif

FRIDAY 07 DECEMBER - MONDAY 10 DECEMBER

No pics. Sorry.

28cm in this time frame at village level.

3.11m measured outside my house to date.

Snowed most of today and the 'crunch' from the weekend's sunshine has disappeared.

Supposed to snow for the next 3 days.

Will be great up there tomorrow.

The level 4 chairs can't be long from opening, and then to the peak \:\)

hee hee hee .... I might have to look Mike up in January. It will be my first time on deep dry POW - April was more like crunchies and icey bits in the morning and coke slushy by lunchtime. And an Aussie Powder day can hardly compare...

Lessons will be high on my agenda!

Seeing all these pic's I am getting excited but nervous at the same time!!

Nup! Boarder...ohh cr@p! Mike is a skier! confused.gif Doh! Must have been half asleep when I posted THAT! shifty.gif

Ohh well ...

I had a nice instructor in April - he had the patience of a saint with the 3 old boilers from Perth who spent more time in the lesson on thier butt's than anything else.

I feel pretty comfortable on my board at the moment - but I want to keep the improvement momentum going.