Bring it on!!! I cant wait for a decent dump. For the last few weeks, I have been a bit nervous, as our trip to Niseko is booked for us to arrive on the 15th of December. Now that I have seen the first sprinkle (I know it will probably melt next week), I am starting to feel a bit better about it.

Phew!

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got there on 27th December last year and whilst there was a bit of snow it didn't really kick in for at least a week or so (Rusutsu / Niseko)

This year I'm arriving on 5th January for a 3 week stint. Wish it could be longer though. Hmm maybe I can work somthing out for another week off work...

Yep my photo Me Jane.

Went back up yesterday. Took my skis and a whole lot of hope.

Denied.

More snow but inconsistent. From rock to 30cm.

Needs 1 good dump and it'll be ready.

I got to Niseko area on 07 December last winter and got gut deep from the first turn. Nothing to worry about arriving on 15 Dec.

The Tateyama hut reckoned their first snow was on Oct 15. A good week or so later than normal, but never mind. Its started!

I thought it might have snowed there last night, but there's no sign of it on the cam. It was certainly cold enough.

Originally Posted By: Fattwins
GN sorry to bust in but do you want or does anyone up there want a beacon?

Fattwins I'll ask around work and friends and see how many may want one. I certainly am very interested.

Also Mt Yotei now has what I think is a deep enough cover over the summit to last through to winter.
 Originally Posted By: MikePow
I got to Niseko area on 07 December last winter and got gut deep from the first turn. Nothing to worry about arriving on 15 Dec.

Cool. Good to know. I cant wait for this trip - counting the days. The aussie ski season ended far too soon!
 Originally Posted By: MikePow

Umm... Dec. 15... ??? You've only been here one season right? I have a gut feeling that this year will be pretty good for snow but if you're superstitious, you'd better knock on wood.

Last year Dec actually had some really nice powder. The year before Dec absolutlely rocked. The year before that Dec wasn't that great early on but when it hit it hit big time. As I said previously there will always be snow in Dec, it's just not certain whether there will have been enough by mid December to cover the undergrowth off piste to make it skiable. You need around a metre of snow on the ground before you can start accessing much of the off piste.