As Ive mentioned before, Ill be moving to Japan in the beginning of Febuary, and for my first week there Ill be headed snowboarding somewhere (Hakuba probably)... My question is about rental gear.

At the moment, I'm planning on shipping my gear so it arrives to Japan about a week after I get there but it'll be in Aomori, and I cant get to it.... so I will probably need to rent. My problem might be that I'm 6'2 190lbs with a size 11 1/2 foot and I ride a Burton Custom 169...so am I going to have problems finding rental gear that fits me? If so, has anyone had any luck with flying with your board and not having to pay the over sized baggage fee? Flying from the east coast US to Japan with board, boots and bindings AND the rest of your life could prove to be difficult..

Any advice?

I hope everyone had a great weekend!

pay the baggage fee - I think its not too steep as classed under sports equipment.

When you get to Narita send your snow gear to your hotel by delivery service (kuro neko is good). You can then send your gear onwards to Amori

Good thread.

Hey James, I am doing exactly what you are, going to hakuba on the 13th Feb.

I live in Perth WA, we have NEVER seen snow in thgis state lol, but I bought my gear instead of renting.

All up, my gear has cost $450, thats board, boots, gloves, pants, goggles etc. Pain maybe to transport, but well worth it, as I get to keep it.

hey Stemik, Is "kuro neko " a good way to go?.

I fly in to Osaka on the 12th feb at 8pm, then, I plan to head up to Hakuba the next mornign as early as possible.

If I get this wheeled bag, it should be easy.. I hear I have to change trains 2 times (worried, as I don't read/write/speak japanese).

James, if you are taking heaps extra, you may as well take ur board mate.

Kuroneko is great. You might have to wait till the avo of the day you arrive in Hakuba to get it though. You should be right for the train changes. Just ask someone if you don't know. Plenty of foreigners go through there all the time.

Hey James, I worried about the same thing when I came over from scotland in April. In the end I decided to phone the airline direct before I got to the airport and arranged a one off payment for excess baggage, it only cost me 50 pounds, which I thought was reasonable (probably be cheaper in the US, everything else is!!). I then proceeded to stuff the bag full with other bits and bobs so that I got my money's worth. They didn't quibble about the weight, just gave me an oversize bad ticket and took it away. You sound like a big guy, so don't hire, contact your airline before you get to the airport and the price will be decent.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Im sure that I will end up bringing my gear for the simple fact that I hate riding on rental gear and lame as it sounds , it bothers me when I know people can tell that Im rentals... ie if theres a serial # written with a sharpie on it... like I said, I know its lame...

The biggest issue I have with not renting is the fact that Im not coming to Japan for a holiday. Im actually moving there, Im just taking the first week at least to board.... so I will be packing enough of my life with me in order to last for a few weeks before my shipment from home arrives... ie my bed and stuff...

The other problem Ive had was finding a bag that fits but isnt crazy big. I have a very nice Burton bag, but its a 190 or something so its huge..I did find one last night thats a flat bag thats a 170 (im a 169) so that should work better..

Side question: For those that have flew in from the states, do you feel that Habuka is too far to work yourself there directly? Or should I plan on getting a hotel for the first night? IT seems accom is cheaper on the mountains than in the cities (Ill never be able to get used to that)

Hey Domokun- How long are you in Habuka for? We get there just about the same time, I fly in on Feb 15th.

aaah Fantastic James!, I fly in with my Wifey on the 12th. We decided (since we arrive at 8pm), to get a hotel @ the Airport (Osaka). Then, I get direct trains to hakuba, and arrive on the 13th ariound lunchtime.

Will be there a\for a week, so if U come, definitely catch up.

I might be a bit Noobish compared to u, so I will get my practice out in the first days runs, then should be fine =)

Am staying at Fattwins lodge if you need a friendly place.

6.4 Mantis!. Wow.... Sudeently, I feel like a shortass... =)

The boarding Co in Hakuba is selling large boards now. He is stocks stuff in the 170 range or higher as well.

The Narita connection is the catch. If you come in late book Chuo Taxi. Itb is about 12000 yen and will take you direct to your hotel in Hakuba. They also run to a few other resorts as well. That makes them a good option for late, easy etc. transfers in the Shinshu area.