Ok folks, sorry for yet another basic question but this one has been bugging me for the most of the day.

As Ive said before , im moving to Japan to live and I picked Japan mostly for the ski/snowboarding. I understand the cost of living is significantly higher and Ive seen clear proof of that. However, Im online doing research on where to go for my first week boarding in Feb, and Im seeing a ton of hotels that are nearly ski in/ out for around $50 a night...

Now Im by no means rich, but Im headed to whistler BC in Dec and the cheapest for something average is $200 a night not counting lifts. So am I missing something or is "Standard rooms from 11,000 per person, including buffet breakfast and lift ticket" not abnormal? (Thats from the Hakuba Alps Hotel listing on here)

$70 lift tickets in Colorado are not unheard of...

Please advise...

Oh, I was just referring to everything else current Ive read, and everyone that Ive talked to that lives there... I was just saying that even compared to US prices on resorts, its quite cheap... and I was wondering If Im missing something..

You can get places for 4000 yen.

You can also get places for 30000 yen.

There's be a big difference in the type of place as you might imagine.

Lots of the traditional Japanese type hotel places offer accommodation + 2 meals + lift ticket so it is more like a package.

I like staying in relatively quiet and decent pension like places when I stay. I find that I end up enjoying visiting the places owned by Japanese, not into the "gaijin hostel" place at all. Not a rule, just from experience I prefer the experience.

\:\)

lift tickets are really cheap in japan, partly due to the way the yen is sliding

accom is also pretty reasonable. at the cheaper end of the scale, you can stay at some hovels but you can also stay in some brilliantly run friendly places.

overall i reckon japan is better value for money than than much of north america or europe

brilliantly run friendly places

I like those. Went to one place in Myoko which was fantastic. Japanese couple running it food was excellent immaculately clean. Nice.

People who think Japan is expensive need to get out and see how much things cost overseas.

If you run a bar in Japan, a nama-chu (less than one pint) costs you about 250 yen to pour. Then you've got to add on rent, utils, staff, and wastage.

Wastage is what the staff drink! Sometimes in the name of cleaning the lines....

In Japan, you only really make money off spirits. And soft drinks. Those yakiniku and karaoke places can do 190 yen namas because they make money on other stuff. I've not been to karaoke for about ten years, but it always used to be 600 yen for a few pocky chocolates.