• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol.gif We have roads and trains and even electricity and running water ;\)

There is a strong consensus that Hakuba has the best terrain in Japan so it's a good decision to visit it while you are in the South. Don't think it is easier or quicker to get to than somewhere like Zao though. From Tokyo to Zao is three hours by Shinkansen and 20 minutes by taxi.

If you are going to Hakkoda then bring your BC gear. There is a service here called Takyubin. It is cheap and efficient and will deliver your luggage from Tokyo to Aomori within 24 hours no problemo. Bring as much as you can and split your gear at Narita. You don't need to lug unneccessary kit to Hakuba and back.

Originally Posted By: Fattwins
Im not worried about soub starting a beef.

To anyone I have been on SnowJapan since 2001. My first name was the BCbum actaully. At that time SJ was just growing and the forums had only a few names most of which are gone.

I was here when NoFakie aka MR.wiggles decided to up his life and move to Hakuba. I was here when Ocean upped out of Suwa and parked his bum in Shikoku. I was here when deebee aka db aka le spud first started to snowboard with Danz, Ryno, Barok and a few other of the orginal crew. I dont think that this gives me a right to post what I want at all though so let me explain my point.

I have always said that Hakuba is the big mountain area of Japan. Only Gunma really comes close. I let people stay with me back when I rented hotels here. I got people to stay in my crappy apartment when I rented that here. All through that time I never once thought that I was going to move to Hakuba really that was a dream. Mr. wiggles had a lot to do with pushing that dream forward. Sitting in his kitchen hearing about how much prices had droped really opened up my eyes. Then a friend bought an unbelievable house and I knew we had to jump at a dream.

Now what am i supposed to do. I have pushed Takasu and Hakuba for years because that is what I love. This is what I want to talk about. In a sense that is who FT is on this forum. You rarely see me chatting off topic or in other threads cause Im a skier. I want to talk about skiing and I want to talk about the places I like best. If I can no longer do it then what is the point of being FT on the board anymore. That is my struggle these days and trust me I get a fair share of slack for somethings I used to be able to do.

This person asked for big skiing near Tokyo and my best advice is Hakuba. It wouldve been Hakuba 6 to 7 years ago as well whether I have an interest or not.

I love SJ. Sj is a big reason why Im still in Japan. That said if I cant be FT then ill retire from forums and support it in another way, cause it is not in my interests or SJs interests to have to talk about something like this.

Great post FT
I feel similar in in that I joined SJ before I had even been to Japan. I came here two seasons in a row before I even ever thought of buying something here. I loved the place and talked it up to anybody who would listen. Big mountains, great powder, no lift lines. Before I moved here I had made fresh tracks everyday I boarded.