Hello All- I have kind of a noob question, but I cant quite fine a specific answer in the past topics..

Im moving to Japan to live on Feb 15th and I dont have to be "anywhere" until at least a week later. Being a avid boarder, Id like to hit somewhere for a few days before I make the trek up to Aomori for work...

My question is, where would you recommend I go for my first experience in Japan? Ill be alone, Im 33 and a experienced boarder. Id like to go somewhere that’s fairly excessable from Tokyo, but wont cost me a fortune to stay...yes I know that’s impossible but any input would help....

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: JamesOhJames
Hello All- I have kind of a noob question, but I cant quite fine a specific answer in the past topics..

Im moving to Japan to live on Feb 15th and I dont have to be "anywhere" until at least a week later. Being a avid boarder, Id like to hit somewhere for a few days before I make the trek up to Aomori for work...
My question is, where would you recommend I go for my first experience in Japan? Ill be alone, Im 33 and a experienced boarder. Id like to go somewhere that’s fairly excessable from Tokyo, but wont cost me a fortune to stay...yes I know that’s impossible but any input would help....

James, I hope to god that you will not be teaching English in Aomori. I'd say the most ACCESSIBLE place from Tokyo would be Nagano.

Jump in now, the Nagano people.

You sould not worry that much, Aomori has some of the best places in Japan for snowboarding. I am in Tokyo but I still try to find an excuse to go up there.

Like FT and Tday said hakuba is a great place close to Tokyo, which many foreigners go. Although by far the easiest/cheapest access from Tokyo has Yuzawa area. For an intermediate rider both are ok, for someone experienced that wants something challenging hakuba is more attractive.

You can do a 1 day trip to Yuzawa with only 10000 yen, including bullet train and lift tickets. smile.gif

Why not Aomori? Well Ill be homeless for one.. not really, but Ill be living out of my backpack untill I get to Aomori and have my stuff delivered. Im planning on spending a few days in Tokyo being a tourist, then go somewhere for about 5 days to board. So really I just need a good resort that easy to get to, and that has hotels...

I do speak decent Japanese, but ill be culture lagged Im sure..so i was just looking for something easy...

If thats available up north, Id love to know which ones would be best.... 5 days is a long time though. I dont wanna get TOO bored:)

I think a big mountain is what Im looking for. hell, 2 weeks before I get to Japan I'll be in Whistler/Blackcomb for a few weeks... not the best snow I dont think..but I love the sheer size \:\)

Soubs - be fair, if he isn't going to Aomori straight away and wants to try somewhere close(ish) to Tokyo, given the range of resorts, scenery, and lively apres ski (especially important when you are first in Japan) Hakuba's a pretty good suggestion. And not everybody on this forum automatically stays at Fatts' place when in Hakuba - there is plenty of reasonably priced competition there...

I know you aren't looking for a beef soub, but FT has been on here saying the same thing for years now. His lodge is a realtively new thing, and the fact that he chose to invest there should show that he believes what he is saying and not just trying to attract customers.