ggrrrrrrr

someone just made $400 worth of paypal transactions on my credit card

have called the bank and they have disputed the transactions with paypal, but a resolution will take up to 6 weeks. this is farken annoying. and yeah, it's a relatively small amount, but it's frightening to think that something major could have happened.

sunrise, do you have any idea how they got your card info in the first place? If there is still some kind of Trojan in your computer, they may be able to get your new card info as well. Did you use the card for online purchases at internet cafes or just from your Mac at your home?

Originally Posted By: spook
i saw a scary UK doco, when gangs of professional card thieves would attach card skimming devices to the front of ATM card slots. they look just like normal ATMs, except then can skim and store your card details for later duplication. they would also install a small camera above the keypad and film you enetering your PIN.
then they'd go away, make a fake card with your details and use your PIN to leech all your cash.
i just did a quick search and this US story has more details:

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/atm/20021004a.asp

This was a major issue in Japan also last year. Some gang was setting up scanners on Mitsubishi-UFJ bank ATMs. All the banks now are switching to IC chip cash card, that can’t be scanned easily, unless you actually insert the card into a reading device.
 Originally Posted By: tsondaboy
sunrise, do you have any idea how they got your card info in the first place? If there is still some kind of Trojan in your computer, they may be able to get your new card info as well. Did you use the card for online purchases at internet cafes or just from your Mac at your home?

No idea. I'm assuming it was randomly generated numbers that hit home. Something I forgot to mention earlier: a few years ago my parents got a new debit card in Oz specifically for online purchases, they'd never used it at all - but somehow someone got the number and tried to use it, purchasing from overseas.....

I recently got back from 6 weeks in France/England, used the card a lot - with many smart chip machine. So who knows.... the only online purchases I made while overseas were from my own laptop. The only things I'd bought online from my home connection since returning were thru amazon and alibris.com (used books), and skype, all of which I have used before.

(No trojans on a Mac by the way)

I should get my statement tomorrow so I'll see if there's anything else in there besides what I already know about.

Damn spook, that's a hassle. I'm so glad I don't have to pay for that stuff and wait to try and get it back.

You don’t need to use the card, someone can find all the required info in the statement you throw in the garbage can. ;\)

That’s why they say you should burn or at least pass all your personal info through a paper shredder before throwing them away.

PS: there are Trojans for Mac as for any other system. Although Mac and Unix systems are harder for a hacker to breach their security. Needless to say windows security is a joke.

erm, credit card with your bank accounts on the same mag strip. You can have your credit card(strip one) savings account(strip 2) current account(strip 3) on the same card.

3 accounts max. Put your credit card in your wallet, use it as an ATM card. Not cash advance but ATM card for your other accounts. Means carrying fewer cards.

there ya go - but you're Japanese literate lol.gif Well actually I'm glad my cash card isn't my visa card, I feel somehow safer knowing the visa stays at home 99.9% of the time (though that could be a sense of false security for all I know...!)

We have had this happen to us before as well, but in Aus!

Card security is a little lax everywhere, but I was truly stunned that the Seikomart in Niseko processed credit cards without having to sign for anything, or having to enter a PIN!! While it meant a quick transaction it did leave me wondering what would happen if my Credit Card got 'lost'...

you would notice it on your statement a month later, call the card centre, have the charges reversed, get a new card, receive new card, sign it, put it in your wallet and spend like normal.

In the meantime, nothing will be done to apprehend anybody, card company writes down the miniscule loss, carries on.

Originally Posted By: thursday
In the meantime, nothing will be done to apprehend anybody, card company writes down the miniscule loss, carries on.

I agree that not much seems to be done to apprehend anyone - but I think it is for difficulty of apprehension rather than apathy....

Because our CC was hijacked in Perth (at some stage during regular use of card it was 'scanned and reproduced')and the fellow used his fake card at a particular place of business in the Perth area, along with a few other fake cards they were able to trace it back and put the guy in custody. The idiot worked there.

One win for the good guys! (Hey it is a START!)