OK, i had this idea last season, and i tried it out. Only one other dude came out for it, but this year that dude (who happens to work at a snowboard shop) has been telling people and it looks to be a good bit larger this year.

i am organizing another 'Pray for Snow' festival this year for Nov. 4th for my area. In Japanese i call it the "Oyuki Masturi" .I thought it would be cool to do events like that all over the prefecture, (or even the country) as it takes almost nothing to set it up and do.

All you need are

-posters or some sort of advertising (i can supply poster, you fill in the particulars for your area)

-a little sake, some paper, and a few pens

- a shrine or some cool natural area somewhere remote, but accessible by hiking

-participants

The whole point of the event is actually a Global warming thing, cleverly packaged to appear like an event for skiers and boarders.

The whole thing boils down to this, the old time matsuris were events to pray for good harvests, and required some sort of exertion and sacrifice on the part of the participants (ie doing something crazy drunk on rice wine, and donating some kind of sake or food to the gods).

Nowadays, we need snow. (well, that is an increalibly short-sighted and selfish way to look at global warming, but i'm not doing this to guilt people to death)

So the idea is to get skiers and people out on the mountain, enjoying the beauty, and think aout their impact on it.

My particular event in my area reqires a little hike to a shrine on the Mt Asama. I explain the idea of the hike, and ask the participants to think about what they would be willing to 'sacrifice' for the snow gods.

Could be something as simple as fixing the car so thet it runs cleaner, or as big as giving up beef. generally something that they can put into effect soon, or try to maintain for one whole year.

Anyways, at the destination we hand out slips of paper and brush pens, and everyone writes down a little prayer for snow on one side, and their little "green" promise on the other

We donate those papers, as well as a little rice wine to the shrine, and then celebrate.

Afterwards there might be a little snowboard video party at someones place, or we might go to an onsen or something.

If anyone is interested in partipating, or even better, holding an event ot your own in your area, let me know!

if you are on Mixi, check it out here

http://mixi.jp/view_community.pl?id=2620150

and some photos from last year

23069407_61.jpg

23069407_221.jpg

23069407_58.jpg

FT I don't think the snow gods liked you burning those old skiis last season! I really should have been a virgin set of unused skiis, and good ones! You don't offer up old clapped out grandmas to appease the gods! It has to be young virgins! They were not pleased, and we all felt the brunt of their anger last season...

I think that's awesome.

I am starting a social networking site for the environmentally like minded people out there, U should join up when I launch Oyuki kigan.

best wishes with your project, if you need a hand setting up online information/marketing, let me know!

Ryan

Originally Posted By: Bushpig
FT I don't think the snow gods liked you burning those old skiis last season!
lol that's pretty funny man. BP, i LOVE the photos on your site by the way. ru guys coming up again this season?

Oyuki - if i'm still in euro at that point, i'll sycronize my watch and climb the most japanese lookin hill i can find, and pray for snow. Hey man, we already got a sprinkling of white stuff in Scotland, though i'm not holding my breath for big pow here lol.

Word on the street is lots of moths, big snow and all that this winter. Sweet.
 Originally Posted By: Domokun_72dpi
I think that's awesome.

I am starting a social networking site for the environmentally like minded people out there, U should join up when I launch Oyuki kigan.
best wishes with your project, if you need a hand setting up online information/marketing, let me know!

Ryan

i'm gonna be doing at least one more event around December, so yes, i would love some help!

And anyone who is interested in attending/ starting their own event, please let me know!

If you are in the Karuizawa/ Kitasaku-gun area of Nagano on Nov 4th, we are meeting at 9:00 at the trailhead for Asamam Yama. Its located by Tengu Onsen/ Asama Sanso, just off way from the road going up to Asama 2000 ski hill.

EBC I was reading that the Cairngorms has already got a dusting of snow, one month earlier than usual, could be a "good year" for Scotland (altho still shite by Japan standards \:D )

where you at in Scotland?

Yeh we got some snow on the Cairngorms. http://www.cairngormmountain.co.uk/web-cam/ Should be heading up North to do some stuff (not skiing obviously) soon. But i'll be back in Japan this winter anyway, so don't care how much it snows here... it won't REALLY snow here.

CB - nice edit. I can tell you are amped for this year. Could it have anything to do with a Pontoon/Duke combo? Oh i can feel the excitement lol.

Where am i in Scotland? Dumfries & Galloway, land of some quite nice mountain biking. http://www.7stanes.gov.uk/

Will see y'all in December....

I've been to Glentress a couple of times. Great place!! I'm from Dundee, loadsa forests etc nearby but nothing organised. We really don't get good enough snow anymore for decent riding, although I do persevere when I'm at home, some snow is better than no snow!!