Here's the latest on NOVA(cation) ...nor salary

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20070921a1.html

200 of 900 schools will be closed...Let's say 2 foreign teachers at each school (minimum) thats 400 gaijing swimming back to their countries. Sucks to hear cuz I have some really good mates working there and some Japanese staff too.

Begs to ask, what about Aeon, Geos, Gaba, ECC, etc?? What issues are they having, if any? And will current NOVA teachers be able to find new work at other Eikaiwas.

Shocking news but nothing new. Just pisses me off the way management at these places treat people like shite mad.gif mad.gif

Nova shot themselves in the foot. They held up well during the harder times and actually grew. One could say that they grew too big and became bloated. I don’t think they ever thought that they would have to pay out the refunds.

Japanese people got tired of their no refund policy and fought back and etc etc etc. Nova has been a major labor abuser for many years, in many ways they have started practices that other companies copied to take advantage of customers and employees.

If you talk to anyone they will tell you that nova stinks. Anyways I feel sorry for the people that will be affected but, Im not sorry to see Nova get turfed. Maybe, just maybe the other companies will open their eyes, and stop the stupid practices, that have become the normal behavior for eikawas and out sourcing companies.

I had a great time working for GEOS over 10 years ago and conditions were fine (though not as good for Japanese staff). Sounds like conditions at Nova have always been the worst. I don't like to see schools like GEOS and AEON get lumped into that category.

Good riddance! All the more for smaller independent schools who don't make people pay up front. Or at least I hope they don't....

If they keep their eyes open, I'd imagine a good few teachers will end up in better jobs. It might be the kick in the butt some of them need.

I know several small schools run by complete lunatics. Whether big school or small school, Japanese teacher or native teacher --the eikaiwa industry is brutal. It was fun for a while but I'd rather not be there now.

i worked at Nova for 2 years and I had a ball. Sure it had some major drawbacks but I reckon that every Eikaiwa is very similar. This time when coming out, I compared the conditions offers etc of loadsa companies and really the conditions for Eikaiwas were pretty much the same across the board. I've got loadsa mates at Nova just now so its not a time for them, the ones who are in their own independent apartment should do fine, but I fear for those in a Nova apartment because they will be out of a home.

I have a few friends with Nova experience (before the latest stories) and they seemed pleased with their lot. A lot is going to depend on where they are, the management at the school etc. just as it is with some smaller operation - I've heard some horror stories from places like that as well. A lot of luck involved, and case by case - as they often tell you on the JET program too.

Working in Nova certainly wasnt the best job I have ever had, but it also hasnt been the worst job Ive ever had. Easy, but soul crushing job...alleviated by copious amounts of alcohol after work \:\) I really do feel for all my friends and coworkers still with Nova and all my Japanese friends that are still students.

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/fl20070925zg.html

Business practices as usual for NOVA(cation nor salary). Some of the stunts they pull are criminal. Teachers still not paid? Other teachers having their housing allowance deducted from salaries yet getting eviction notices? How long will this game continue? T.I.J...

Feel bad for staff and students getting screwed - hope it works out for everyone thumbsup.gif

as we say in Scotland, it looks like its "gemme's up the poley!!" for NOVA. They're making a "big announcement" on Thursday, we can only guess what they are gonna say but I doubt its gonna be "We've found billions of yen down the back of the sofa and we are giving every employee a huge wage increase!!"

Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/fl20070925zg.html

Some of the stunts they pull are criminal.

how about this one, there are stories floating around that its not just rents they have been skimming of the salaries, it may be that they have done the same thing with health insurance premiums through the Nova owned JMA!
There are stories of people trying to claim hospital bills yet gettitng the complete run around for weeks and weeks on end, reimbursements have been "frozen" they have been told.

JMA Japan Medical Assistance - owned by nova and use Mitsui or interglobal as underwriters
 Originally Posted By: HighlyTrainedExNovaTeacher
I enjoyed my time there but I'm out now.

Sad what has happened. Well in some ways.

Still trying to think through what to do next.

How are the students taking it? Bitter or sad?
Lots to talk about in free speaking lesson?