I'll make this nice and simple for you Siren.

I was suggesting that taking a very long and uncomfortable bus trip, when a far more convenient means of transport is readily available, is not a course of action I would recomend to anyone unless they had absolutely no choice, i.e. the person was simply unable to afford the extra Y5,000 (or whatever the price difference happens to be). In the context of an internet forum where the members are predominantly English speaking and the topic of discussion was travelling from Tokyo to the snow, it would be reasonable to assume that most people who are interested in the discussion would be able to afford the additional amount to allow them to travel to the snow in a more convenient manner.

Now, if a person is in such financial difficulty that he/she could not afford the additional amount, one wonders why they are interested in taking up a sport like snow skiing/boarding, which I'm sure you would agree, is actually quite expensive. Accordingly, I suggested that if the extra cost of more convenient travel was beyond the means of a person then perhaps such a person should reconsider his/her snow sport aspirations.

You on the other hand seem to think that taking a long, boring, uncomfortable o/n bus trip is something that is preferable if it means enjoying a different experience. Which is actually a pretty moronic thing to suggest given the context of the discussion. Which was cheap day trips and not enjoyable new experiences. It is also quite condescending as it assumes that I haven't had such an experience and that it isn't the memory of that very experience that creates such a strong desire to avoid it in the future.

But please, by all means take the bus, it would reduce the chances of us meeting on the Shinkansen. I'm sure that even the 1hr 20 min it takes from Tokyo to Yuzawa would be far too long spent in your company.

OOOoooo! Handbags at twenty paces, I do so love a tussle. Let me throw in my eyelash curlers` worth. \:D

Consider this: dear old Snow Shadow wanted to know the cheapest way on a day trip from Tokyo. A few people suggested the shinkansen, someone pointed out that a very cheap way is the bus (overnight or not). Huurraah, Snowsie gets an answer and everybody is happy (or should be).

I`m sure as an intelligent human being you S.S. can make your mind up which is best. I just think being able to have twice as many days on the slope for the same money is worth it.

AND , wait for it, I actually have had a good time on the bus. Meeting young shredders and often spending the day shredding with new buddies, then enjoying various cocktails of dubious alcoholic content on the way home. I`ve also had comfortable trips on the shinkansen but never met new folk who are up for a laugh, just old cranky miseryguts who stared at me while I ate chips. :rolleyes:

Point is, it`s what you make of it and I reckon there`s some fun to be had out there away from all the artificial excuses for your mothers womb.

Umm, think I broke a nail ;\)

Feels pretty good actually! Pity you can't experience it Rach, as I assume you lack testicles and a penis \:D Maybe we can arrange an injection?

And of course, women NEVER let their emotions be unduly influenced by hormones. ;\)

Well the title of the thread appears to me to be "Cheapest day trip tickets form Tokyo." This is interesting because the overnight bus ride, while cheap, does not qualify as a "day trip," yet the shinkansen is certainly not the "cheapest" either. That would make the morning bus the cheapest. I guess that means Siren is the winner, unless Snow Shadow goes back and changes the thread title to "Cheapest day trip tickets from Tokyo that Kambei doesn't think is too much of a hassle to qualify."

I drive (almost) every weekend from Yokohama to Hakuba. Often I pack the car when I get home from work Fridays and hit the sack around 6-7pm and wake around 3am and hit the road no later than 4 to avoid the Yokohama-shi and Hachioji bypass traffic (perfect so far). It's about 4-4.5 hours and 4500 yen door to door each way.

I prefer the car because #1: I'm American and driving is what we do...EVERYWHERE!; #2: I can load up the subaru with whatever gear I need, and more. I used to skibum it in the States and sleep in my FJ60 (God I miss that!); #3: I hate lugging gear in and out of stations, and feel too reliant on others to get me where I need to go. #4: It is a beautiful drive up.

For you economics types, I'd equate my analysis to "opportunity cost" that is cost (dollars, time, effort etc.) in terms of alternatives.

ie. the cost of taking a car my be marginally more than the Shink, but add connecting trains to shink station, lugging gear, taxi's and relying on a shuttle from where I stay (lugging gear again), but with a car, all my gear is stowed (sprawled), cooler is stuffed with food (try that on trains), I have a base of operations on the mountain where my extra gear is locked up, I can drop/add layers if the weather changes, and last but most importantly, it's a great way to meet people... I can pick up and drop chicks off at the mountain/their hotel ;\) . Calculus: trains & shink: 14,600 + Taxis: 1,500 + food/beer: 8,000= approximately 219,000 vs. gas and tolls: 13,000 + food/beer: 6,000 - convienience of being self reliant = much cheaper.

Just my .02 yen.

Is there anything I missed/forgot?

BTW, I'll also share with those who may need a ride from Yokohama/Tokyo area if you can ID a good Eki where I can meet you. (I might even be willing to brave friday afternoon traffic for cost cutting \:\) ) Drop me a line at stumpalama@earthlink.net.

Peace-

Yeah Stumpalama, you forgot to pick me up on the way dude! I'm in Hodogaya (5min from Yokohama) so let's go for a carve sometime. Pick up stoke and we have a Yokohama crew. You board or ski, and do you shred?

Just got done reading the posts that preceeded mine... I don't know how I missed them the 1st time. whoo that was a good laugh. Wow, that was a good laugh.

-Dims and Stoke: I'll be be heading up the weekend of the 27th, but not until Saturday around 9am, but I'm also heading on weekends after new years. drop me a line. I'd be happy to have the company.

Stumpalama + Dims.

Sorry, was away all weekend only just spotted the thred. Well up for it.

Stum - have sent you a private. Drop me a line.

Dims - used to live in Hodo too. Like it? I ride, will try anything (ish), just wanna slide.

\:D