What are you talking about Tsonda ... Last time? The water is warm for a long time yet. You will be fine until about November I reckon. Just get a short-sleeved wetsuit. I had sweeet waves in Izu last week just after the typhoon. 4-5 feet, offshore and really nice. Not crowded either.

Originally Posted By: NPM
What are you talking about Tsonda ... Last time? The water is warm for a long time yet. You will be fine until about November I reckon. Just get a short-sleeved wetsuit. I had sweeet waves in Izu last week just after the typhoon. 4-5 feet, offshore and really nice. Not crowded either.

hey you're in Shonan?? Me too!!

Haven't surfed though, would like to try. I tried Body boarding this summer, but without fins I found it hard to move anywhere!!

there were some others not using fins, they seemed to do ok, although most did have fins!! I did ask some people before jumping in but they said that I didn't need fins, but I found out that I actually do

If you actually intend to ride on the face of the wave, and not just get pushed along by the white water,(bigger waves with a bit of power) then you really need fins. As I said it's like riding a bike without wheels! ;\)

I'm stoked for ya Tsonda. Surfing is something I have always dreamt of. I tried it once in chile, dislocated my shoulder in the paddle out. I have a horrendous shoulder history... 40 dislocations between them both with surgeries beginning 10 years ago. In that, I lost the range of motion to paddle a surfboard, and I'm bummed.

I bodyboard though! (If I have fins ;))

bodyboard...confused.gif I see you are pretty eager to become shark bait samurai. \:\)

tsondagirl is doing bodyboard and really seems like she is enjoining it. You don’t really need to paddle hard on it, other than swimming out. That would not put much stress on ya shoulder I think, you should give it a try sometime mate.

Originally Posted By: tsondaboy
I am only on my third time on a long board but I can already ride small waves. \:\)

But can you rescue dogs?!

Article_9fe36443-f3aa-4ebb-ac6f-036b7bfc

Surfer Rides Wave on His Stomach to Rescue Struggling Dog Swept Off Lake Michigan Pier
The Associated Press

GRAND HAVEN, Mich. - A surfer rode a wave on his stomach to rescue a struggling dog that had been swept off a pier and into Lake Michigan by a wave.

Matt Smolenski, 25, said he grabbed the pooch's collar just as the exhausted, black-and-brown mixed breed stopped dog-paddling on Tuesday.

"He put the dog up on his surfboard, and the dog rode the surfboard in to shore," said Royce Rodgers, an off-duty Muskegon Heights police officer who witnessed the rescue. As the dog crouched on the board, Smolenski held on from the water, fighting large waves and a strong current all the way to shore.

"I've watched the dog about a million times," said Smolenski, of Grand Haven. "He barks at the waves and then jumps back when they wash up on the pier."