Why is Mickey Mouse so popular?

I just don't get it. When there's something on tv here all the couples in their 20's, 30's, 40's going all mushy over Mickey & Minnie and the likes. I'm sure lots of them are basically huge PR pieces but I know loads of (normal) people here who go mad over Disney. And thats without including the kids.

I wouldn't mind if Mickey Mouse was even any good. He's shite.

Any thoughts? ;\)

There's a girl (well, woman - she is 25) who has 35 Mickeys on show in the back of her car. No room for her to see out of the back, I'm sure it must be illegal. I think she likes Mickey.

I don't really get it either. BPG has a soft spot for him too, but without owning any mickey merchandise. I think there is a real soft spot for Disney in general in this country. Maybe to do with the whole attitude towards anime in this country. Much more acceptable for adults to be big anime fans (or at least to admit to it) than back home.

i don't get it either. i find the fascination with disney slightly disturbing.

but a love of adult cartoon characters is no less weird. when you've got adults going ga-ga over some new limited edition figurine, you know the world's gone mad

oh, and yes, mickey is shite. even as a kid i was bored watching him

I have, I've been to the one in Tokyo and Orlando. I preferred the water parks in Orlando to any of the actual theme parks. I'm not interested in watching puppets and weird guys dressed up in tights prancing around the place. i want thrilling rollercoasters and disney has 0 of them, **** Disney!!

I go to Disney once a year with the kids...Seeing the kids meet the real thing (to them) brings tears to my eyes.

And for every guy dressed up in the tights theres at least two girls doing the same...figure!

I wish I'd read the book. Too bad daver isn't around to help me out. Others of you can. But one theory as to why adults in Japan have such a thing for "cute" abstracts in their lives is because they had their childhood stripped away from them at such a young age. They miss their youth.

Now, can someone cite the author for me please?

It's not just mickey either. My wife doesn't necessarily have a thing for any Disney characters, but I do roll my eyes at alot of the "cute" kitchen utensils she manages to buy. Why does an egg-beater have to have a smiling egg for a handle? wakaranai.gif

Or, why does the pot scrubber have to be smiling at me. Why does my kitchen smile?! It's like a never-ending acid trip.

Have you seen American Psycho? I like contemporary kitchens.

actually, that's funny. In my own hypocrisy, my sister mailed me my favorite spoon from when I was a kid. It's just a silver spoon, no smilies, but I find it ironic that I prefer it when eating yogurt or whatever.

Perhaps it's in all of us, just a bit smily over here.

Originally Posted By: samurai
yup. the japanese are generally amongst the upper tiers of happy peoples.

really?

http://www.happyplanetindex.org/map.htm

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/lif_hap_net-lifestyle-happiness-net

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/11/061113093726.htm

Mickey and Hello Kitty seem like an opiate for people who don't want to think (or are not taught to think) about difficult things.

Why worry about the children in Bangladesh who stiched together your Disney "Stitch" doll, when just looking at it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling?
 Originally Posted By: samurai
I wish I'd read the book. Too bad daver isn't around to help me out. Others of you can. But one theory as to why adults in Japan have such a thing for "cute" abstracts in their lives is because they had their childhood stripped away from them at such a young age. They miss their youth.

Now, can someone cite the author for me please?

It's not just mickey either. My wife doesn't necessarily have a thing for any Disney characters, but I do roll my eyes at alot of the "cute" kitchen utensils she manages to buy. Why does an egg-beater have to have a smiling egg for a handle? wakaranai.gif
Or, why does the pot scrubber have to be smiling at me. Why does my kitchen smile?! It's like a never-ending acid trip.

Id agree with you on that samurai, thats prolly why you have so many old men, young men, and boys, reading those studpid weekly comics..theyre such crap. Back when I was learning Japanese I tried reading them as a way to practice but found them all utterly boring and stupid as shite.