Snow Travel & Trip Reports - New Forums section

• SnowJapan Admin

I don't know about you but I'm hoping that the hottest part of summer is now behind us. We have been working on a lot of fairly major updates to the main site that we hope to launch in October, but it's now time for us to start making a number of changes and adjustments to the Forums as we begin to prepare for the coming season.

One thing we are thinking over is the idea of having a section of the Forums set aside just for TRIP REPORTS (as we have temporarily set it up here).

Of course, it's Forum members that will be using this during the coming season & so we would very much welcome any feedback at all that you might have now - so please do let us know what you think.

Good idea or not?

TRs should be kept within the main Snow Talk section?

Any other comments?

We'll see what kind of response we get from everyone in the next few weeks before making a final decision on whether to keep this or not.

Look out for some other Forums changes/improvements in early September.

Thank you.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, you guys take on more & more every year. Gambatte!

Not sure about this myself. I suppose when there are so many posts in winter it might be a good idea to have them in their own space as such.

A section for TRs sounds like a great idea. I think they're fun to read and giving them their own section would probably encourage more people to write them. Of course you'll get snow-related TRs and non-snowrelated so I don't know how you'd want to organize them...

I'm not sure about this one either. It sounds like a good idea but if there are too many separate forums people might not bother to check all of them. Then again, as the snow ones are at the top, and this is the purpose of the site it might be a good thing to encourage more snow talk.

• SnowJapan Admin

tsondaboy, I suppose the idea at this stage is for the snow related TRs to be here (this new forum under SNOW) and other ones can go in the JAPAN TRAVEL or OVERSEAS TRAVEL sections - of course we can adjust and change depending on what is best and what people want.

\:\)

If it's for snow reports, I would normally say, yes, give it its own section. ("Snow reports" meaning reports after a skier or rider returns from the hill and tells us how was the snow, piste, BC, park features, fun factor, etc.) That is a huge part of my home site.

However, SnowJapan.com is unique in that such reports already have a built-in feature under each resort's own page with the Reader Reports (and even Resort Reviews, to some extent). I think people should just use that feature instead. I loved following the Kamui Ski Links locals' reports on the goods there before finally getting to visit it myself. Putting such a section here might detract from those good Reader Reports.

If I misunderstood and this was just for general travel, meh. Just keep it under General Talk.

• SnowJapan Admin

Good point as we don't particularly want people to not post further Reviews and Journals... but the fact is that people do post simple TRs on the Forums (and not in Journals etc). We were just thinking of how to bring those attention more and perhaps encourage more TRs at the same time.

Lots to think about (as always seem to be the case!)

In that case, you could do something like the Gear Reviews section. Create a Trip Reports section were all new journals being submitted in SJ will be put up in the forums for people to see and comment. You won’t be able to write a TR straight in that section but instead you will have to submit it through a journal.

Also let us link picks uploaded in SJ photos section in the journal, the way we link them in the forums and not limit the number of photos in a journal to only 2.

• SnowJapan Admin

PS Got your (journal) mail tsondaboy - if ok with you hope you don't mind if we deal with that early next week.... at the moment a few people are on holiday and I'm not able to do what is required to look into that.