I hear it is possible to board down from the top.

I do not have much information as i am fairly new in Japan. I know it has been done.

I would love to try it, does anybody have any information on how, when etc?

Or does any fancy trying it with me?

I went to do it last year. Mid May. I have a journal for it.

When we got there (South Face Route) we couldn't see any snow to ski so we just started hiking. About 30 minutes into the hike we rounded a corner into a huge gully with a skiable line most of the way to the top. We couldn't tell at the time due to weather though. But we glissaded all the way down.

Just a warning though - Skiing and Snowboarding is not permitted on Fuji. At least not on the South Face Route. There were rangers there telling people to get back on the trail. We just went around the corner and got back on the snow. If you do some searching there is a thread about this from last May/June

It doesn't officially open till July

And they were there on the mountain in May.

It is really silly to not permit skiing and snowboarding. The environmental impact of a few people skiing and snowboarding is miniscule compaired to what has been left on that mountain. It is really quite sad.

I did it a couple of years ago. It's a great feeling standing at the top of Fuji, pointing your board downslope and setting off - that, however, is where the good feeling ends.

Powder hounds be warned, there is no powder. The snow is brutal. It's about 3 and a half hours from the car park, then about 5 minutes down. If you're giving your equipment a grand sendoff as I was you may wish to partake in a spot of rock-boarding at the bottom which is a great laugh.

If you get up there early enough and the weather is alright you can board in to the crater - not as scary as it sounds, but a b*tch to walk out of.

Have fun!!!

When did you do it Snapper?

where you expecting to find powder?

I have hiked it twice. First time in a nice 4 hours up. Second time in a very slow 5 or 6 due to weather, being far to early, and slow friends.

I know a Japanese dude that did it in 2 hours.

Good the heart I guess

Fuji is kind of a silly place to go skiing now that I have seen the potential of other places. It doesn't get nearly as much snow as the mountains along the Sea of Japan. And in late April, early May it looks like a summer snowpack compared to the other places.

There is a couple of huge natural quater pipes about an hours hike above the #5 car park. Apparently it's a popular spot for video crews. I don't think the hike would justify the ride unless you were shooting video or something. On the other hand I wouldn't mind taking my up there and boming the trail. That'd be one hell of DH run.

Toque - I did it just after the car park area opens a few years ago. I was definitely not expecting to find powder.

It`s a good laugh, and yeah I suppose most people do do it for the cool factor as it is a pretty cool thing.

If I do it again I`m leaving the board at home and taking an ice-pick,. There were some pople have a whale of time ice-pick sliding their way to the bottom - looked like great fun.

crazy carpets. damn now that would be hilarious. it would definitely have to be filmed for posterity.

a three person wooden toboggan would also be quite nice, though in my experience the bruises are much worse. in that case you would have to wear toques with pompoms, possibly drinking a molson or labatt product too.