Problems in Hakuba transfer after late arrival in Tokyo

Hi Guys,

Sorry for another "how do I get to......."

I am concerned with timings for our trip. We arrive in Tokyo at 5.15pm on Friday 23 December and are travelling to Hakuba.

Initially we were going to use Chuo Taxi at 11,000 yen per person per way. However they now say we may end up waiting for them at the airport for up to 2 hours and then have a 7 hour journey to Hakuba. That means getting in anywhere around 3am shifty.gif

However I went to look at trains and then the bus from Nagano etc and can't find a decent connection as it appears the last Nagano bus leaves 8.30pm and this appears tricky after landing at 5.15pm if no delays. Say an hour through customs and we are struggling to make the connection.

We only have 8 days so don't really want to overnight in Tokyo. Any other options you can suggest ?

Cheers \:\)

holo

Narita Express, No. 44

Narita Airport 7:43 pm (should b enough time 2 get thru customs/immigration) departure, Tokyo Station 8:51 arrival

Transfer at Tokyo Station

Asama No. 555

Tokyo Station 9:28 pm departure, Nagano City 11:01 pm arrival

OR

Asama, No. 555

Tokyo Station 10:04 pm departure, Nagano City 11:48 pm arrival

taxi from Nagano to Hakuba would be around 13,000 per cab, most cabs are strict max 3 or 4 passengers. Nagano City to Hakuba is less than one hour in good road conditions by car.

Japanese trains are precise to the minute. Time tables in English:

http://www.jorudan.co.jp/english/

It's tough coming from abroad when you don't know where to transfer.

Narita Express and the Asama trains have only reserved seating.