Hello All- Before moving to Japan in early Feb, Im planning on taking another tour through Europe to see some friends and such, since Ill probally living in Japan for the long haul. I plan on spending about 4-5 days of that snowboarding somewhere in the Alps but being from the west coast of america, Im not famliar with where would be the best, most economical choice for me. IE I wont have my own gear, and Ill be coming via train from Paris....

Does anyone have any advice on 1 or 2 resorts that are withing fair reach of a train and would be decent for someone thats going alone to go to? Of course moneys of SOME issue being that its nearly 30 days that Ill be traveling...

From Paris the French resorts are by far your best option (and usually the resorts with the most snow) Take the train from Paris to Bourg St Maurice or Albertville.

Go to Val Thorens and you will have enough for a week or so without being bored using the same trails over and over again.

same goes for Tignes/val d'Isere and La plagne/Les Arcs.

Actually if you really want to see/ski a litle more and want to avoid apres-ski Bourg St. Maurice would be a good option. Very easy access to Les Arcs and bussess to all other resorts around.

i agree, the 3 valley system of Val Thorens, Meribel and Courcevel ar eawesome. They have high villages and if the snow is right you can ski/ board right down to the lower villages.

hers a link for some background:

http://www.les3vallees.com/ski/three-valleys-ski-resort.html

I boarded here at Easter time last year and had a great time. There are 7 or 8 different ski areas that you can explore on the one ski pass so it has one of the largest area in the world.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the replies and information. Question though... If Im crossing into Paris (alone midn you) with about 8 days left in my trip before having to be back in London to fly back home ( before catcing a flight to Tokyo) , is it feasable to hit a resort for a day or 2 of boarding ? Or am I pusing it?

I shouldn't think so. It wouldn't take more than a days travel by bus from Paris to the Alps. I travelled by bus from Scotland to Spain and it only took just over a day. So factoring a days travel either way (for absolute maximum, it'll never take that long) say 2-3days boarding, you coud be back in Paris within 5-6 days, leaving you 2 to spare for the short hop to London. Of course if you flew it'd be even easier, there are bound to be cheap airlines flying from Paris to elsewhere in France. I know for sure that Ryanair fly from the UK into Paris Beauvais and into Grenoble (which is about 1-2 hours bus journey from the 3 valleys), so I'd guess that they'd fly between the 2 french airports.

check out easy get for flights to the UK from Geneva airport i thinkg the cheapest is easyjet. British airways might have some good deals on as welll...only a hour or so from Chamonix to geneva and plenty of shuttles.

the train will be faster than flying.

I know there is a hostel in Tignes and 1 in Les 2 Alpes plus probably in some other resorts.

depending on the season an apartment can be real cheap.