Hello All!

Im an obsessed snowboarder (Former instructor) and Im moving to Japan this January. Ill be living in the Aomori prefecture, and I was wondering where I should look at going first there? I know not allot of people on this board live that far north, but on the off chance I wanted to ask. Ill be flying with my board so Id like to hit the slopes the first day or two after....

Thanks!

James

Hakkoda= bus transport from Aomori/Hachinohe stations. 1000yen a tram ride. I believe it's about 4000 vert. One hardcore day, non-stop will yield around 7 runs. (45 minute laps) Heeps of BC if you are avy-savvy. Although in my 4 days riding that resort, I never crossed another track and never used my skins.

oh... and Hachimantai is also fairly close, although I don't know about local transport. It's smaller than Hakkoda, but also heeps of BC. If I'm not mistaken, Daver said there is a bus from Aomori or Sendai. I don't remember. Maybe he'll chime in.

both the above resorts are the pow meccas of your area. no grooming, easy to get lost. Bring your transceiver.

Yamagata, yes. And very nice it is too. I've lived in a lot of places and I rate Tohoku very highly.

We aren't as big, steep or fashionable as other areas of Japan, but you'll find no shortage of excellent snow.

They are long. I like it actually and it is a good place in summer as well. They have a lot of ropeways and stuff moving on the mountain. I always like the seeing the volcano shapes.

• 3 weeks later...

I went to Zao this summer. Nice place it is and a fair bit to do. We had a really relaxing few days. It reminded me a bit of Nozawa in a few ways - small village, the onsen and mountain.

Going to go back this winter.