Another big earthquake in Niigata. (It's not fair).

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yaaaaaaa, I was in Iiyama (Nagano between Nozawa/Nagano city)... luckily on the 1st floor of a modern building. But the place moved like nothing I've ever felt before. That was something I do NOT want to experience as well.

Glad did not go to Yuzawa this w/e in the end. Did not feel anything in Tokyo. I think I may have been driving at the time. Scary stuff. Never feels great to feel powerless and wondering how bad it's gonna be.

Given how thin the SJ building is, must have been quite a ride. Was it built post or pre 1992?

• SnowJapan Admin

Thanks.

Yes it moved a lot.

Not sure when it was built but I would guess pre-92.

Happily I haven't felt any aftershocks since the main one this morning, unlike 04 when it was one every few minutes or so for the first few days!

Here it is:

16154500391.png

I noticed on the lunchtime TV coverage that pretty well all of the collapsed buildings were old wooden structures, crucially with tiled roofs.

When I put a 50m2 extension on my house, I calculated I lifted 2.5 tonnes of tiles up. A biggish house here could easily have 10 tonnes supported by some flimsy walls.

OK here too apart from being a bit shook up emotionally and a lot shook up physically.

I'll tell you what in times like this keitai phones are TOTALLY USELESS. Public phones and the normal phone in the house was fine. But trying to call our or receive on keitai is a waste of time.... even now.

So that's all our Niigata friends accounted for thumbsup.gif

A very good question, BoC. One I can't answer, but tsonda may. Places to avoid are ridges (re Pakistan) and sedimentary basin filled with saturated and poorly consilidated materials. The latter are prone to seismic amplification, as well as liquifaction.

I had an exchange with tsonda about this in the Japan Earthquake Map thread.

Soubs was faster than me in answering. \:\)

For sure you are not going to feel it the same. It depends a lot on the surface geology, how much will the amplitude of the waves be. If you are in the bottom of a basin, filed with loose sediments, then most probably the amplitude of the waves will become bigger when they reach that layer. On the top of a mountain you can hardly expect to find a long series of sediments, so most probably you won’t get the local structure effect that much. There are also many other factors, such as what kind of rocks you have as bedrock, rise angle of the waves, distance from the hypocenter etc...

Thanks thursday. I can predict not much sleep tonight. Definitely having experienced this lot before I think it makes you more uneasy about it all. \:\(

and, the details....as always, you can drop the coordinates into Google Earth to get the epicenter location on the map...Coordinates are:

37.584N, 138.377E

== PRELIMINARY EARTHQUAKE REPORT ==

***This event supersedes event AT00117880.

Region: NEAR WEST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN

Geographic coordinates: 37.584N, 138.377E

Magnitude: 6.7 Mw

Depth: 49 km

Universal Time (UTC): 16 Jul 2007 01:13:27

Time near the Epicenter: 16 Jul 2007 10:13:27

Location with respect to nearby cities:

70 km (43 miles) WSW (238 degrees) of Niigata, Honshu, Japan

106 km (66 miles) N (10 degrees) of Nagano, Honshu, Japan

145 km (90 miles) NNW (335 degrees) of Maebashi, Honshu, Japan

246 km (153 miles) NNW (331 degrees) of TOKYO, Japan

ADDITIONAL EARTHQUAKE PARAMETERS