Another big earthquake in Niigata. (It's not fair).

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SnowJapan Admin

Report from Niigata.

Well I was in the office in Yuzawa when it happened. Yuzawa was apparently only shindo 3 or 4 but it felt much worse (for Yuzawa) than the one a few years back - probably because our office is on the 5th floor of a tall narrow old building. Felt more like a 5 to me. Files, filing cabinets, snowboards all over the place. It was very scary and I soon decided to make my way home, not staying there!

I remember thinking when it was happening (in slow motion of course), that the building might be falling over on its side, and "oh no, not again". It's not fair happening here again \:\(

muikabochi, sanjo and joshnii will have felt it stronger than here... hope you are all ok. I just hope the yoshin aftershocks are small and few.

Thanks for the update SJ1.

I was actually drumming to some music at the time, and I thought sheet, I'm not drumming that hard! Then my monitor started banging into the wall, so I sitting here holding on to everything.

The scary part is not knowing how big it's going to be. That's where it's nice to be in a steel frame building.

• SnowJapan Admin

Yes, not knowing how big it is going to be is scary. Time seems to slow down. It starts off and quickly (slowly) gets stronger and stronger. I stood up in the office and by the time I was up I could hardly keep balance and a filing cabinet was crashing down on me.

I was hoping I had experienced my quota of powerful earthquakes. Surely now I have.

I'm here. Thanks folks.

Well that was another scary surprise once again. I agree with SJ1, it's just not fair us getting this again. This time a bit to the north west and so Nagano has got a big shaking as well it seems. No physical damage here, just feeling very uneasy. I think it is worse when you have experienced something like this before maybe because you know what it feels like.