SnowJapan Community
Sign in to follow this  
soubriquet

Another big earthquake in Niigata. (It's not fair).

yup, a bit of a wobbly, nothing too strong, but it went for a reasonable time..... hope everyone's okay near the source.

Isn’t this long weekend completely F-ed up or what?

The first 2 days a major typhoon and the last day a major earthquake.

What’s next..... shifty.gif

Report from Niigata.

Well I was in the office in Yuzawa when it happened. Yuzawa was apparently only shindo 3 or 4 but it felt much worse (for Yuzawa) than the one a few years back - probably because our office is on the 5th floor of a tall narrow old building. Felt more like a 5 to me. Files, filing cabinets, snowboards all over the place. It was very scary and I soon decided to make my way home, not staying there!

I remember thinking when it was happening (in slow motion of course), that the building might be falling over on its side, and "oh no, not again". It's not fair happening here again \:\(

muikabochi, sanjo and joshnii will have felt it stronger than here... hope you are all ok. I just hope the yoshin aftershocks are small and few.

Thanks for the update SJ1.

I was actually drumming to some music at the time, and I thought sheet, I'm not drumming that hard! Then my monitor started banging into the wall, so I sitting here holding on to everything.

The scary part is not knowing how big it's going to be. That's where it's nice to be in a steel frame building.

Yes, not knowing how big it is going to be is scary. Time seems to slow down. It starts off and quickly (slowly) gets stronger and stronger. I stood up in the office and by the time I was up I could hardly keep balance and a filing cabinet was crashing down on me.

I was hoping I had experienced my quota of powerful earthquakes. Surely now I have.

I'm here. Thanks folks.

Well that was another scary surprise once again. I agree with SJ1, it's just not fair us getting this again. This time a bit to the north west and so Nagano has got a big shaking as well it seems. No physical damage here, just feeling very uneasy. I think it is worse when you have experienced something like this before maybe because you know what it feels like.

Sign in to follow this  

sjf2019l.png

About SnowJapan

SnowJapan.com is the independent guide to skiing and snowboarding in Japan and has been online since 1999.

SnowJapan.com covers the whole of Japan. We are here to introduce the world to unbiased, honest and detailed information about winter sports in Japan. We publish exclusive and in-depth and daily content throughout the winter season and we add new functionality and content to the site every year.

We are not here to promote any specific destinations or resorts, or to sell our readers any kind of products or services. We are not a travel agency and we do not own any ski resorts, ski schools, accommodations or other related businesses.