I don't know if Yachiho is convenient for you to visit, but i also go ride at other hills in Nagano pretty frequently. Depending on the time and place, i can also meet people for lessons.

But like someone else said, there are also English-speaking instructors in Hakuba (and Karuizawa, but i can't really reccommend it to beginners).

I was under the impression that Karuizawa was good for beginners as it wasn't difficult. You mention it not being so - that because of crowds Oyuki?

It was interesting to read about your experiences.

More than the crowds, its the quality of the snow.

Karuizawa is almost totally manmade 'snow', which is basically just ice crystals, not snow. Because it is icy and hard, its good for carving, or making a base for the natural snow to fall upon, but by itself it is hard for beginners to learn on. Plus it hurts more when you fall.

And thanks for all the kind words, everyone.

Quote:
Plus it hurts more when you fall.

Very important point, especially for beginners. My first time I went out in bad conditions = bad idea. It nearly put me off completely. Nice & fluffy is what we need.

I'm doing a lot of thinking about the life plan while I am here actually this time. A few events here have made me think about things and the future more than I have for a while. (I will go into more detail sometime soon when I'm settled back in Japan).

Originally Posted By: fiifii
Enjoyed reading that. I am thinking of quitting my job and heading for the hills to do something completely different. I need an "experience".

be careful. In places like Whistler and banff in Canada, that one season "experience" can easily become a full lifestyle change, and you might end up staying. i almost did, and sometime in the future i hope to go back.

Thanks for the article, that was an interesting insight into the world of working in Japan, and a far cry from the images of 'Fear and Trembling (Amélie Nothomb).

Since I've accepted an offer to train/work at a BC tour company in Hokkaido this coming winter, I was especially glad to hear that everyone is relaxed. Well, the company I'll likely be working for is headed by a foreigner, but still ;\)

Speaking of which, I'll be hiking in Hokkaido probably the 1st to the 5th of May, in the Niseko area. Anyone interesting?