• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i just think that the way film and music industries cry foul when people download/steal their products is a head in the sand attitude. i don't really know what the solution is, but they're fighting a losing battle at the moment.

Originally Posted By: Bushpig
actually I do Indo. I like to support artists for the most part. I have less scruples wehn it comes to TV though.

me too. I support and buy all CDs of artists that I really like. But most of what I like to listen to allow you to download the live concerts for free. As long as theyre free those artists dont have a problem with tapers. I really respect that.

As far as downloading TV shows. Theyre not losing money. Movies yeah but not TV shows. Most movies recently suck monkeyballz anyways. Rented Xmen 3 the other day and found myself wanting to grade final exams. That sucked.
 Originally Posted By: SirJibAlot
I'm not stealing anything. Someone bought the original and i'm borrowing a copy. No different than if I went to Blockbuster and rented a video - Blockbuster bought it, i'm renting it - blockbuster is making money, the movie studio isn't.

But like I said - I wouldn't pay more than $5 for Billy's DVD so no revenue lost.

oh, and BTW, I tried the workout today and it kicked my ass. It's too difficult to do in my apt so I won't buy it.

hear hear. I think its pretty rare to see goods "that fell off a back of a lorry" for sale by guys on street corners. Market places maybe, but then thats up to the Market owners and Police to stop, not me. I'm pretty sure no band has been bankrupted by people downloading their album, all that lose out are the multi-national faceless organisations that have been wringing money from our wallets for years, screw em I say.

i beg to differ when it comes to music artists. The already big artists can easily soak it up, but once the general culture of getting music for free sets in fully, then smaller artists are gonna struggle. My brother in law has worked on and off in the music industry and I have seen first hand just how much effort goes into creating decent music. Why shouldn't the artists be rewarded for that effort through legitimate sales, and not have their work ripped off? OK, the street corner analogy wasn't a good one, but since when is it OK do illegal things just because you can get away with it?

Originally Posted By: SG
at 15000 yen for the Billys Camp package, who is stealing from who?

lol.gif
My band in Kochi spent about $1000 putting together 6 songs in a studio, then sold the CD for 1000 yen to cover the cost. People joked about making illegal copies and we were -like- "whatever". At this point we've paid for everything so if a million people suddenly got a hold of illegal copies we'd be pretty damn flattered, but music's our job. I get bothered, on the other hand, when I hear about salaries of English teachers going down, and schools always trying to undercut each other.... but that's not stealing or pirating obviously....

Oh yeah... I copied a couple of cds for a friend who owns a small music store and he didn't say anything. I thought maybe he didn't like the music, which is fine, but then I thought "Oh yeah... He owns a music store... Copying is BAD. Duh!"

I'm all for supporting artists, but not supporting record companies. I have gone on this rant before - but here it is again.

In the early days of Napster, I used to DL those crappy 128kbps tunes to preview songs and see what I liked. Every weekend, I would then go to the store and buy 3-5 CD's (I have over 1000 CD's to this day). When the record companies went after Napster and shut that down, I vowed to never give them a penny of my money.

With digital downloads, Artists should go direct. I'd pay $1 per song if I knew 100% of the proceeds were going to the artist. The reality is that only pennies make it to the artist and the record companies keep the rest.

Once the record companies are bankrupt and out of business, the real creativity and value of artists and producers will start to shine.

Jam that into your ipod and get jiggy with it...

I'm the same with Mr Kipling and his cakes.

I used to really love them when I was a kid. But when I found out that Mr Kipling himself didn't get the majority of the cash I was paying for the cakes, I decided to stop buying them and start stealing them from the factory. After all, no-one REALLY loses out, the cakes were made already. I was amazed to hear that instead of all the cash going to Mr Kipling, other people got most of it eek.gif - people tried to convince me that things like making the things, packaging, distribution and marketing costed more than a few pennies. Rubbish if you ask me (and that's what matters).

Anyway whatever those costs are, as a consumer I made the decision that the price was not right. And because I disagreed with that price and the way Mr Kipling was being robbed blind and the policies of the pricing structure of the product then it is of course perfectly reasonable and within my rights that I just steal the things and consume them anyway. That's the way things work, right?

If they made a promise that Mr Kipling was getting 100% of the cash for every single cake then I might just stop stealing them and eating them for nowt and start paying for them again. (Or maybe not, I'm used to free cakes now and free cakes taste better. I'll make that decision a lot later, not now - they've got to sort out their friggin' payments to Mr Kipling first before I can even contemplate paying for them).

They are still delish. Especially the cherry bakewells.

(I'm thinking of stealing a Ferrari car next, because they are way too expensive and I heard a rumour that Mr Ferrari might not be getting his fair share of that expensive cost so I strongly disagree with it all).

\:\)

come on mate - i'm a business major and I understand that the record companies are in business to make money. However, the number of artists that get screwed in that industry is ridiculous becuause of the one sided contracts. Artist are not employees and not paid an hourly wage. They get a cut of what they sell...but how much of a cut?

After promotions, travel, recording studio time, etc are all paid for, what is left over is profit. Of that profit, the record companies take 70-80% leaving the artist with net profit of 20%. Sounds like a lot, but it is probably less than 5% of gross revenue, meaning that they get 5 cents for that $1 download while the record company is getting 50 cents profit + all that overhead that is paid for out of the expense catagory (which is thier overhead and staff anyway!) If you were that artist, would you feel that you were getting a fair deal? Oh, and by the way, with your .05, you need to pay your manager, publicist, etc. so you are probably only taking home .02 depending on if you sell enough records to break even.

Exactly my point SirJib! I simply don't agree with the pricing structure of the product/service and who is getting what out of the price of the product --- and so I will just take the product for nothing instead of buying it. (I hope Mr Kipling doesn't mind, though I bet he has more than a few pounds in his account so he should be ok).

;\)

Back on topic....

Billy's Bootcamp KICKED MY ASS! I did it two days ago, and I'm still in pain. My season of snowboarding kept my front thigh muscles in shape, no pain there - but the squats did a number on the back of my thighs...I can barely walk today. Billy should be paying me for this workout!